* [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 19:33 Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This seems to be a regular question, but there is very little to no
useful or current information available, so I will ask again in hopes
that something has changed.

Has anyone been able to install 9atom on any version of VMware
Workstation? If so, would you please share the settings you used to
get it working. I am trying to setup a go dev environment and need
9atom for python 2.7.

I'll keep plugging away at it, and if I find something that works,
I'll share it.

Thanks!

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 19:49 ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-10-06 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/06/13 15:33, Christopher Nielsen wrote:
> This seems to be a regular question, but there is very little to no
> useful or current information available, so I will ask again in hopes
> that something has changed.
>
> Has anyone been able to install 9atom on any version of VMware
> Workstation? If so, would you please share the settings you used to
> get it working. I am trying to setup a go dev environment and need
> 9atom for python 2.7.
>
> I'll keep plugging away at it, and if I find something that works,
> I'll share it.
>
> Thanks!

9front might work in VMWare. It has python and mercurial installed and
go works pretty well on it. You could try that too.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 19:56   ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks, Matthew. I'll add it to my list of options test.

--

@ 2013-10-06 20:21     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2013-10-06 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been using 9front (cpu/auth/cwfs) in vmware for almost a year
with no problems. It even supports hda-intel sound.

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 20:32   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-06 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mveety, 9fans

> This seems to be a regular question, but there is very little to no
> useful or current information available, so I will ask again in hopes
> that something has changed.

i think there's a disconnect here.  that is, i don't really understand the
question.  so what would an acceptable answer look like?
are you looking for a compendium of differences, or something else?

> > Has anyone been able to install 9atom on any version of VMware
> > Workstation? If so, would you please share the settings you used to
> > get it working. I am trying to setup a go dev environment and need
> > 9atom for python 2.7.

sorry about that.  the last time i messed with vmware, ended up being
a large waste of time because vmware networking didn't do what i needed.

i'm happy to accept any patches or look at any specific failures.

> 9front might work in VMWare. It has python and mercurial installed and
> go works pretty well on it. You could try that too.

as far as i know, due to ape changes, 9atom is the only python 2.7 option.
jeff, do you have a document outlining how to bootstrap python 2.7?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 20:35       ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just installed 9front in a VM, and it worked fine. Two things. First,
it didn't ask me for systype as the documentation suggests it's
supposed to. No problem. I can sort that out on my own, but it would
be nice if the docs were correct. Second, python 2.5.1. Any plans to
bring over Jeff Sickel's 2.7.5? I can give it a go, if no one else is
working on it, but I know it requires significant changes to APE. It's
needed for codereview, IIRC. Also, what's the mercurial version? It
says version unknown. It'd be good to have mercurial 2.6.2 for go
compiler and stdlib dev, which is what I meant when I said go dev.
Thanks!

@ 2013-10-06 20:42         ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2013-10-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com> wrote:
> Just installed 9front in a VM, and it worked fine. Two things. First,
> it didn't ask me for systype as the documentation suggests it's
> supposed to. No problem. I can sort that out on my own, but it would
> be nice if the docs were correct. Second, python 2.5.1. Any plans to
> bring over Jeff Sickel's 2.7.5? I can give it a go, if no one else is
> working on it, but I know it requires significant changes to APE. It's
> needed for codereview, IIRC. Also, what's the mercurial version? It
> says version unknown. It'd be good to have mercurial 2.6.2 for go
> compiler and stdlib dev, which is what I meant when I said go dev.
> Thanks!
The mercurial is from 26/08/2009, it was ported by fgb.

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 20:44         ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2013-10-06 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

fixed, thanks.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 20:48     ` Christopher Nielsen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> This seems to be a regular question, but there is very little to no
>> useful or current information available, so I will ask again in hopes
>> that something has changed.
>
> i think there's a disconnect here.  that is, i don't really understand the
> question.  so what would an acceptable answer look like?
> are you looking for a compendium of differences, or something else?

Sorry about the confusion. I was looking for any current information
on how to successfully install 9atom on vmware. What I've found via
google is very sparse and not recent. From what I am able to gather,
it sounds like the vmware ATA hardware emulation is severely lacking
and doesn't agree with what's in 9atom's sdata.c. It's a starting
point, though. Does that help?

>> > Has anyone been able to install 9atom on any version of VMware
>> > Workstation? If so, would you please share the settings you used to
>> > get it working. I am trying to setup a go dev environment and need
>> > 9atom for python 2.7.
>
> sorry about that.  the last time i messed with vmware, ended up being
> a large waste of time because vmware networking didn't do what i needed.

I understand why you'd see vmware as a waste of time. It is indeed
problematic on a few fronts.

> i'm happy to accept any patches or look at any specific failures.

As soon as I get my plan9 dev environment back up and running, I will
be happy to do some poking around to see what I can discover. If I
find anything useful, I will send along patches. If I have questions
about specific failures, I'll let you know. Thanks for being willing
to field questions.

>> 9front might work in VMWare. It has python and mercurial installed and
>> go works pretty well on it. You could try that too.
>
> as far as i know, due to ape changes, 9atom is the only python 2.7 option.
> jeff, do you have a document outlining how to bootstrap python 2.7?

That was my understanding.

--

@ 2013-10-06 21:02       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-06 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > sorry about that.  the last time i messed with vmware, ended up being
> > a large waste of time because vmware networking didn't do what i needed.
>
> I understand why you'd see vmware as a waste of time. It is indeed
> problematic on a few fronts.

i don't mean to give that impression.  vmware can be a great solution.
but when i've wanted to use it, it was impossible.  the virtual networking
does not always play nicely with l2 protocols.

it's one of the thousand things i really need to get around to.  :-)

From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-06 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cnielsen, 9fans

> it sounds like the vmware ATA hardware emulation is severely lacking
> and doesn't agree with what's in 9atom's sdata.c. It's a starting
> point, though. Does that help?

can you just set it up to do ahci?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 21:08         ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sadly, no. That would have been my first choice, if it were an option.
I know ahci works great in 9atom. I'll give virtualbox a whirl.

Thanks for your help, erik!

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the
blood of patriots & tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 21:10           ` Jacob Todd
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Jacob Todd @ 2013-10-06 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com> wrote:
> Sadly, no. That would have been my first choice, if it were an option.
> I know ahci works great in 9atom. I'll give virtualbox a whirl.

You would probably be better off using qemu than virtualbox.

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 21:13           ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-10-06 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Sadly, no.

Why not? VMware does AHCI just fine.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 21:14             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jaketodd422, 9fans

> You would probably be better off using qemu than virtualbox.

xen/qemu are also on the list of things that really need better support.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-06 21:15             ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Sadly, no. That would have been my first choice, if it were an option.
>> I know ahci works great in 9atom. I'll give virtualbox a whirl.
>
> You would probably be better off using qemu than virtualbox.

I've had bad luck with qemu on windows, which is sadly what I am
currently stuck with as a platform. It has caused me great pain, and
will hopefully change soon.

--

@ 2013-10-06 21:20             ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-06 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
>> Sadly, no.
>
> Why not? VMware does AHCI just fine.

Huh. Maybe I missed a setting somewhere. I'll have another look.
Thanks!

--

@ 2013-10-06 21:43       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-06 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Sorry about the confusion. I was looking for any current information
> on how to successfully install 9atom on vmware. What I've found via
> google is very sparse and not recent. From what I am able to gather,
> it sounds like the vmware ATA hardware emulation is severely lacking
> and doesn't agree with what's in 9atom's sdata.c. It's a starting
> point, though. Does that help?

http://9atom.org has some information.

9atom is the system we use every day.  it should be the same as sources,
except when that's not possible.  obviously there is a little skew, too.
this is generally because we need more hardware support, or additional
programs.  but it also leads 9atom to have full support for amd64.
(it's the default platform here.)  and lead 9atom to have full 21-bit rune
support in 2010.

the reason 9atom is out there is to help people use plan 9.  more hardware
support is better, so patches are welcome.  new ideas are good, too.  but
since 9atom is the basis for production systems, care is necessary.

all changes (except binaries) are submitted through patches.  if you're
curious, add this to 9fs.  (9fs -a forces authentication; useful for sources.
nflag is its converse, which is the default.)

	nflag=-n
	if(~ $1 -a){
		shift
		nflag=()
	}
	if(~ $1 -m)
		shift
	switch($1){
[...]
	case atom
		# import -E ssl atom.9atom.org /n/atom /n/atom
		srv $nflag -q tcp!atom.9atom.org atom &&
			mount $nflag /srv/atom /n/atom atom
	case atomdump
		# mount $nflag
		9fs atom && mount /srv/atom /n/atomdump atomdump
[...]

the atom patch programs are then in /n/atom/plan9/rc/bin/apatch.
the interface is very similar to sources patches.  so patch(1) will be
a good overview.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-07  4:43             ` Jens Staal
From: Jens Staal @ 2013-10-07  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sunday 06 October 2013 17:10:47 Jacob Todd wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com>
wrote:
> > Sadly, no. That would have been my first choice, if it were an option.
> > I know ahci works great in 9atom. I'll give virtualbox a whirl.
>
> You would probably be better off using qemu than virtualbox.

Last when I installed 9atom I had to do it in virtualbox and then convert that
image for qemu. The 9atom iso failed during boot (after selecting boot/install
option).

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 19:52               ` Terry Wendt
From: Terry Wendt @ 2013-10-09 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've never been able to get plan9, 9atom, or 9front to install under
virtualbox.  I've had to install plan9 on a dual-boot machine, which
sucks.  I can't use qemu or the linux kvm with my proc, it doesn't do
virtualization.  I'd really like to get one of the above to work with
virtualbox.  Just my two cent's.

Cheers,
Terry.

--
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the
experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 20:08                 ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-10-09 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/09/13 15:52, Terry Wendt wrote:
> I've never been able to get plan9, 9atom, or 9front to install under
> virtualbox.  I've had to install plan9 on a dual-boot machine, which
> sucks.  I can't use qemu or the linux kvm with my proc, it doesn't do
> virtualization.  I'd really like to get one of the above to work with
> virtualbox.  Just my two cent's.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry.
>

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com
> <mailto:staal1978@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sunday 06 October 2013 17:10:47 Jacob Todd wrote:
>      > On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Christopher Nielsen
>     <cnielsen@pobox.com <mailto:cnielsen@pobox.com>>
>     wrote:
>      > > Sadly, no. That would have been my first choice, if it were an
>     option.
>      > > I know ahci works great in 9atom. I'll give virtualbox a whirl.
>      >
>      > You would probably be better off using qemu than virtualbox.
>
>     Last when I installed 9atom I had to do it in virtualbox and then
>     convert that
>     image for qemu. The 9atom iso failed during boot (after selecting
>     boot/install
>     option).
>

> --
> Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from
> the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent
> disinclination to do so.
>      Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"

9front works in virtualbox. qemu also can run without the virtualization
extensions.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 20:10                   ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2013-10-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Douglas Adams knows philosophy.

Sorry, I know, off topic, but has to be said. Just my two bob piece...

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Matthew Veety <mveety@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/09/13 15:52, Terry Wendt wrote:
>
>> I've never been able to get plan9, 9atom, or 9front to install under
>> virtualbox.  I've had to install plan9 on a dual-boot machine, which
>> sucks.  I can't use qemu or the linux kvm with my proc, it doesn't do
>> virtualization.  I'd really like to get one of the above to work with
>> virtualbox.  Just my two cent's.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Terry.
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Jens Staal <staal1978@gmail.com
>> <mailto:staal1978@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On Sunday 06 October 2013 17:10:47 Jacob Todd wrote:
>>      > On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Christopher Nielsen
>>     <cnielsen@pobox.com <mailto:cnielsen@pobox.com>>
>>
>>     wrote:
>>      > > Sadly, no. That would have been my first choice, if it were an
>>     option.
>>      > > I know ahci works great in 9atom. I'll give virtualbox a whirl.
>>      >
>>      > You would probably be better off using qemu than virtualbox.
>>
>>     Last when I installed 9atom I had to do it in virtualbox and then
>>     convert that
>>     image for qemu. The 9atom iso failed during boot (after selecting
>>     boot/install
>>     option).
>>

>> --
>> Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from
>> the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent
>> disinclination to do so.
>>      Douglas Adams, "Last Chance to See"
>>

> 9front works in virtualbox. qemu also can run without the virtualization
> extensions.
>
> --
> Veety

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 20:13                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-09 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 9front works in virtualbox.

i don't think it's that simple.  9atom runs in at least one install of
vbox, but i have also seen it fail.  the reports on the list have been that
it takes a little magic, and the right vbox version.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 20:25                     ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2013-10-09 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/09/13 16:13, erik quanstrom wrote:
>> 9front works in virtualbox.
>
> i don't think it's that simple.  9atom runs in at least one install of
> vbox, but i have also seen it fail.  the reports on the list have been that
> it takes a little magic, and the right vbox version.
>
> - erik

I haven't had 9front fail on virtualbox. I keep both virtualbox and
9front on the most recent version/revision. Granted I haven't tried any
other operating systems for the host other than Windows.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 20:34                     ` Terry Wendt
From: Terry Wendt @ 2013-10-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I read in the  plan9 google groups archive that plan9-20120703.iso was
known to work with vbox... I thought at the time I had the right version of
vbox, but the minor version number may have been different.  I also wasn't
aware that qemu could work with out the support from the proc.  Is that
version dependent also, or only on a Microsquish OS version of qemu?

Cheers,
Terry.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>wrote:

> > 9front works in virtualbox.
>
> i don't think it's that simple.  9atom runs in at least one install of
> vbox, but i have also seen it fail.  the reports on the list have been that
> it takes a little magic, and the right vbox version.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 21:02                       ` Deepak Chawla
From: Deepak Chawla @ 2013-10-09 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In the past, I've had problems installing 9atom/plan9 on the latest version
of VirtualBox, but I could install it on a VM from an older (4.1.24?) rev
of VirtualBox. I have since updated to the latest VirtualBox and my VMs
have continued to work. I haven't tried an install on a new VM since I
updated.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Terry Wendt <silicon.penguin67@gmail.com>wrote:

> I read in the  plan9 google groups archive that plan9-20120703.iso was
> known to work with vbox... I thought at the time I had the right version of
> vbox, but the minor version number may have been different.  I also wasn't
> aware that qemu could work with out the support from the proc.  Is that
> version dependent also, or only on a Microsquish OS version of qemu?
>
> Cheers,
> Terry.
>

> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@labs.coraid.com>wrote:
>
>> > 9front works in virtualbox.
>>
>> i don't think it's that simple.  9atom runs in at least one install of
>> vbox, but i have also seen it fail.  the reports on the list have been
>> that
>> it takes a little magic, and the right vbox version.
>>
>> - erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 22:15                         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-10-09 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 14:02:32 PDT Deepak Chawla <dchawla@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past, I've had problems installing 9atom/plan9 on the latest version
> of VirtualBox, but I could install it on a VM from an older (4.1.24?) rev
> of VirtualBox. I have since updated to the latest VirtualBox and my VMs
> have continued to work. I haven't tried an install on a new VM since I
> updated.

I can confirm that 4.1.24 works for plan9 and 9atom. Newer
versions are usually not worth upgrading to. And if you want
to, it is a good idea to keep the last working version (and
its installable distribution image + extension pack) around.

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 22:19                         ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2013-10-09 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Deepak Chawla <dchawla@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the past, I've had problems installing 9atom/plan9 on the latest version
> of VirtualBox, but I could install it on a VM from an older (4.1.24?) rev of
> VirtualBox. I have since updated to the latest VirtualBox and my VMs have
> continued to work. I haven't tried an install on a new VM since I updated.

quick update. more comprehensive update of everything i tried when i
have a free minute to compile a complete list.

i couldn't get 9atom to work sufficiently under any of the vm
platforms i tried (vbox, vmware workstation). fyi, ahci is not an
option on vmware workstation. sata isn't even an option unless you
have version 10.x

i had an old dell latitude d630 to try an install. 9atom installed
perfectly, and all the devices i need to run a cpu/fs/auth server all
worked out of the box, so that is what i am currently using. nice work
on the hardware support.

when i have a decent dev and test environment setup, i'll see if i can
figure out what's going on with vmware.

thanks for all the help and guidance. i'll keep you posted.

--

@ 2013-10-09 22:51                           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2013-10-09 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i had an old dell latitude d630 to try an install. 9atom installed
> perfectly, and all the devices i need to run a cpu/fs/auth server all
> worked out of the box, so that is what i am currently using. nice work
> on the hardware support.
>
> when i have a decent dev and test environment setup, i'll see if i can
> figure out what's going on with vmware.

yeh!

- erik

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-09 23:07                           ` Terry Wendt
From: Terry Wendt @ 2013-10-09 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have VirtualBox 4.2.6_OSE r82870.  I assume the OSE is OpenSuSE Edition.
I think I can get some help installing an older version(4.1.24) on the
OpenSuse forums.
Thanks all.
Terry.

@ 2013-10-09 23:19                             ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2013-10-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Quoting Terry Wendt <silicon.penguin67@gmail.com>:

> I have VirtualBox 4.2.6_OSE r82870.  I assume the OSE is OpenSuSE Edition.
> I think I can get some help installing an older version(4.1.24) on the
> OpenSuse forums.
> Thanks all.
> Terry.

OSE is "open source edition" as opposed to the one nobody ever buys
from Oracle.

khm

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-10  0:02                       ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2013-10-10  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  I also wasn't
> aware that qemu could work with out the support from the proc.  Is that
> version dependent also, or only on a Microsquish OS version of qemu?

It's been a while since I did much with it, but a few years I used
Plan 9 on qemu on the Mac quite a lot, even to the point of setting up
small networks of multiple Plan 9 instances on the same host.  From
what I can recall, the networking was the most stubborn part.  Some of
the network cards that should have worked didn't, but I seem to
remember that the RealTek emulated card did work.

BLS

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-10 15:08                             ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2013-10-10 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have VirtualBox 4.2.6_OSE r82870.  I assume the OSE is OpenSuSE
> Edition. I think I can get some help installing an older
> version(4.1.24) on the OpenSuse forums.

The 4.2 branch of VirtualBox was known to have a bug with real mode
which prevented to run Plan 9 (and QNX) successfully. This bug was
fixed in VirtualBox 4.2.14, as you can see in the changelog.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

> BIOS: don't use the ENTER / LEAVE instructions in the BIOS
> as these don't work in the real mode as set up by certain
> guests (e.g. Plan 9 and QNX 4)

If you want to run Plan 9 on VirtualBox, you have to use either
the 4.1 branch (for example 4.1.26) or 4.2.14 and later.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-10 15:54                               ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-10-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you want to run Plan 9 on VirtualBox, you have to use either
> the 4.1 branch (for example 4.1.26) or 4.2.14 and later.

I can confirm that standard Plan 9 runs on virtualbox 4.2.18 on MacOSX
(tried it just now), but only after compiling and installing an up to
date kernel.  The kernel binaries in /n/sources/plan9/386 won't boot,
and therefore I suspect the installation CD image won't either.

I suggest it's time to build and push a new set of 386 kernels on
sources.

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-10 16:03                                 ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2013-10-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I will never understand people's fascination with VirtualBox. Why
bother with all this versioning stuff; what VirtualBox version, what
kernel. Qemu works, and works much better.

Why waste anyone's time instead of always denouncing VirtualBox...

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-10 16:16                                   ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-10-10 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:03:55 +0200 =?UTF-8?B?QXJhbSBIxIN2xINybmVhbnU=?= <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
> I will never understand people's fascination with VirtualBox. Why
> bother with all this versioning stuff; what VirtualBox version, what
> kernel. Qemu works, and works much better.

Avoid blindly upgrading to the latest version and there is no
problem.  VB has worked the best for me for hosting variety of
OSes I use (or used to use) on FreeBSD, OS X, Linux, Windows
at various times.  Can't say the same for other VM solutions.
[Now there two fascinations you won't understand!]

* Re: [9fans] VMware and 9atom
@ 2013-10-10 20:05                                   ` Steffen Daode Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Daode Nurpmeso @ 2013-10-10 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
 |> If you want to run Plan 9 on VirtualBox, you have to use either
 |> the 4.1 branch (for example 4.1.26) or 4.2.14 and later.
 |
 |I can confirm that standard Plan 9 runs on virtualbox 4.2.18 on MacOSX
 |(tried it just now)

I have (had) no issue(s) with stock 9atom and 9front
(2941.ddc4d868272b) ISOs on VirtualBox 4.2.16, Mac OS
X SnowLeopard.  (This is no "production use", though.)

Fool that i am i did not trust that it really should be "Intel
PRO/1000 MT Server (82545 EM)", but life would be too boring
without some desperation.

Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:
 |Why waste anyone's time instead of always denouncing VirtualBox...

When using qemu from MacPorts (v1.6.0), then

  ?0[steffen@sherwood src]$ plaw
  USER       PID  %CPU %MEM      VSZ    RSS   TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
  steffen  73506  11.8  4.5  2990016  94728 s002  S+    9:56pm   0:43.57 /opt/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 -hda VirtualBox VMs/9front/9front.qcow -boot d
  steffen  73505   6.7  4.8  1113192 100228   ??  R     9:54pm   1:00.34 /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM --comment 9front --startvm 44dfa628-d2be-4391-8553-23436299f705 --no-startvm-errormsgbox

And i need to do

  ; aux/vga -m vga -l

(But it's rather due to faulty initial settings; however, it's
nonetheless fine in VirtualBox.  I yet need to work on my qemu
setup.  Don't mind.)

--steffen