* [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  0:57 Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2017-04-27  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the Communications
Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to games/crabs.

Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!

brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  2:42 ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2017-04-27  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dear God, big old working exchanges?!

We had a tiny little relay logic step by step PABX at trade school,
adjusting her was punishment detail. Well, it *was* until they worked out I
actually enjoyed getting the old girl to make party tricks...

I wonder if I *am* actually allowed into the US these days...? Likely
not... perhaps I can see some photos instead?

Cheers mate!

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the Communications
> Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to games/crabs.
>
> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  3:12   ` Winston Kodogo
From: Winston Kodogo @ 2017-04-27  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well, such are my limitations, I don't give two short smegs about the Blit
or "The Labs", Johnny come latelelys that they are, promoting new editors
such as "ed". Instead of edt, the one true editor. But when I was a lad,
these many years ago, we did have to pick up the phone - without dial,
there was no dial - wait for the operator at the Sanderstead exchange and
ask the operator to connect us.

On 27 April 2017 at 14:42, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear God, big old working exchanges?!
>
> We had a tiny little relay logic step by step PABX at trade school,
> adjusting her was punishment detail. Well, it *was* until they worked out
> I actually enjoyed getting the old girl to make party tricks...
>
> I wonder if I *am* actually allowed into the US these days...? Likely
> not... perhaps I can see some photos instead?
>
> Cheers mate!
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
>> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
>> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the Communications
>> Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to games/crabs.
>>
>> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>>
>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  3:27     ` Prof Brucee
From: Prof Brucee @ 2017-04-27  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Your bad fortune.

On 27/04/2017 1:13 PM, "Winston Kodogo" <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, such are my limitations, I don't give two short smegs about the Blit
> or "The Labs", Johnny come latelelys that they are, promoting new editors
> such as "ed". Instead of edt, the one true editor. But when I was a lad,
> these many years ago, we did have to pick up the phone - without dial,
> there was no dial - wait for the operator at the Sanderstead exchange and
> ask the operator to connect us.
>
> On 27 April 2017 at 14:42, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear God, big old working exchanges?!
>>
>> We had a tiny little relay logic step by step PABX at trade school,
>> adjusting her was punishment detail. Well, it *was* until they worked
>> out I actually enjoyed getting the old girl to make party tricks...
>>
>> I wonder if I *am* actually allowed into the US these days...? Likely
>> not... perhaps I can see some photos instead?
>>
>> Cheers mate!
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
>>> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
>>> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the
>>> Communications Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to
>>> games/crabs.
>>>
>>> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>>>
>>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  3:35       ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2017-04-27  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

He who convinces himself he don't need to learn from history should read
about the fall of the Roman Empire a little.

But yeah, be damned if I'll ever work for the phone company again. Only the
railways was a more thankless job.

It is a little pleasant to visit ones memories for some nostalgia from time
to time, I went and saw the big C band dish we put up beside my trade
school department in '04 the other day in Sydney... its still there, unlike
a certain similar dish I hear was affixed to the top of a building at UNSW
a few years back that fell off three days after it was put up... and yes, I
hung it all over the PhD who botched that one, especially the bit where I
told him I was "just a dumb tradesman."

My eyes might've gotten a bit misty, I took some photos for my niece in the
years to come, and I left again. It is what it is.

Meanwhile Brucee, thanks for the hotline tip! Better than Hackaday.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:27 PM, Prof Brucee <prof.brucee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your bad fortune.
>
> On 27/04/2017 1:13 PM, "Winston Kodogo" <kodogo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, such are my limitations, I don't give two short smegs about the
>> Blit or "The Labs", Johnny come latelelys that they are, promoting new
>> editors such as "ed". Instead of edt, the one true editor. But when I was a
>> lad, these many years ago, we did have to pick up the phone - without dial,
>> there was no dial - wait for the operator at the Sanderstead exchange and
>> ask the operator to connect us.
>>
>> On 27 April 2017 at 14:42, Shane Morris <edgecomberts@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear God, big old working exchanges?!
>>>
>>> We had a tiny little relay logic step by step PABX at trade school,
>>> adjusting her was punishment detail. Well, it *was* until they worked
>>> out I actually enjoyed getting the old girl to make party tricks...
>>>
>>> I wonder if I *am* actually allowed into the US these days...? Likely
>>> not... perhaps I can see some photos instead?
>>>
>>> Cheers mate!

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  3:49         ` Prof Brucee
From: Prof Brucee @ 2017-04-27  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks to you too. Fortunately working in research is perhaps the best part
of the telephony system. As for editors, I used sam when I was working at
Google. My esteemed coworkers used vim.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  3:53           ` Shane Morris
From: Shane Morris @ 2017-04-27  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Research was always fun. I remember helping out with the Optus Flash-192
tests many years ago, giving the senior engineers a bit of a hand patching
crap together and all that. Learnt a whole heap out of it. I think we've
clocked 100Gbps over a single fibre link now, the -192 was 80Gbps back then.

We hit the brick wall and went DWDM after that. I got in on the ground
floor of the DWDM theory, loved it. That ended up being implemented in the
now stillborn Ruddnet NBN in Oz. I still remember the day we got the Saber
FRED laser in from USyd, my TO told me if we flipped her on, we'd black out
half of Lidcombe, it'd pull that much juice off the grid.

Good times mate.

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  4:12 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2017-04-27  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>From a recent twitter thread -- droppings?! :) -- I got the impression that
smj wasn't at Comm. Museum anymore.

Coincidentally,  on the same thread I found out that by a series of happy
accidents my old 5620 ended up in a nice home, restored to its original
beauty. The same guy has done some amazing restoration of old and exotic
computers.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:57 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the Communications
> Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to games/crabs.
>
> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>
> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27  5:23   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2017-04-27  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I guess Stephen should update his webpage. He's quite a specialized
tinkerer. He built a huge analogue synthesizer for the Smashing Pumpkins,
so big the photo he showed me was taken in a car lot. I had test audio of
his S&H module as a ring-tone on my old nokia, which drove the nurses in
hospital nuts. brucee has epilepsy.

I still have a working 5630 in storage. It's quite a shame when the labs
tries to productize a neat invention.

Skip. Have you made a phone call on the 1ESS with it's two storey rails?

brucee

On 27 April 2017 at 14:12, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> From a recent twitter thread -- droppings?! :) -- I got the impression
> that smj wasn't at Comm. Museum anymore.
>
> Coincidentally,  on the same thread I found out that by a series of happy
> accidents my old 5620 ended up in a nice home, restored to its original
> beauty. The same guy has done some amazing restoration of old and exotic
> computers.
>

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:57 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
>> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
>> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the Communications
>> Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to games/crabs.
>>
>> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>>
>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27 12:37     ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2017-04-27 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Total coincidence: I played on a 5620 yesterday, connected to a 3B2 running
System V. Used jim for the first time since 1985.

-rob

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess Stephen should update his webpage. He's quite a specialized
> tinkerer. He built a huge analogue synthesizer for the Smashing Pumpkins,
> so big the photo he showed me was taken in a car lot. I had test audio of
> his S&H module as a ring-tone on my old nokia, which drove the nurses in
> hospital nuts. brucee has epilepsy.
>
> I still have a working 5630 in storage. It's quite a shame when the labs
> tries to productize a neat invention.
>
> Skip. Have you made a phone call on the 1ESS with it's two storey rails?
>
> brucee
>
> On 27 April 2017 at 14:12, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> From a recent twitter thread -- droppings?! :) -- I got the impression
>> that smj wasn't at Comm. Museum anymore.
>>
>> Coincidentally,  on the same thread I found out that by a series of happy
>> accidents my old 5620 ended up in a nice home, restored to its original
>> beauty. The same guy has done some amazing restoration of old and exotic
>> computers.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:57 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
>>> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
>>> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the
>>> Communications Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to
>>> games/crabs.
>>>
>>> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>>>
>>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27 12:53       ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2017-04-27 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good old jim. I had a great time writing bedbug (a VAX C debugger) using it
- in a weekend with a cockatiel on my shoulder - when you were kind enough
to let me stay as a house guest. I recall you saying that you used bedbug
when writing sam.

Such an enlightenment after using vi. Was it a 1200 baud modem?

brucee

On 27 April 2017 at 22:37, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Total coincidence: I played on a 5620 yesterday, connected to a 3B2
> running System V. Used jim for the first time since 1985.
>
> -rob
>

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I guess Stephen should update his webpage. He's quite a specialized
>> tinkerer. He built a huge analogue synthesizer for the Smashing Pumpkins,
>> so big the photo he showed me was taken in a car lot. I had test audio of
>> his S&H module as a ring-tone on my old nokia, which drove the nurses in
>> hospital nuts. brucee has epilepsy.
>>
>> I still have a working 5630 in storage. It's quite a shame when the labs
>> tries to productize a neat invention.
>>
>> Skip. Have you made a phone call on the 1ESS with it's two storey rails?
>>
>> brucee
>>
>> On 27 April 2017 at 14:12, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> From a recent twitter thread -- droppings?! :) -- I got the impression
>>> that smj wasn't at Comm. Museum anymore.
>>>
>>> Coincidentally,  on the same thread I found out that by a series of
>>> happy accidents my old 5620 ended up in a nice home, restored to its
>>> original beauty. The same guy has done some amazing restoration of old and
>>> exotic computers.

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27 13:07         ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2017-04-27 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

9600 baud direct connection, in the same room.

-rob

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 5:53 AM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good old jim. I had a great time writing bedbug (a VAX C debugger) using
> it - in a weekend with a cockatiel on my shoulder - when you were kind
> enough to let me stay as a house guest. I recall you saying that you used
> bedbug when writing sam.
>
> Such an enlightenment after using vi. Was it a 1200 baud modem?
>
> brucee
>
> On 27 April 2017 at 22:37, Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Total coincidence: I played on a 5620 yesterday, connected to a 3B2
>> running System V. Used jim for the first time since 1985.
>>
>> -rob
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM, Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess Stephen should update his webpage. He's quite a specialized
>>> tinkerer. He built a huge analogue synthesizer for the Smashing Pumpkins,
>>> so big the photo he showed me was taken in a car lot. I had test audio of
>>> his S&H module as a ring-tone on my old nokia, which drove the nurses in
>>> hospital nuts. brucee has epilepsy.
>>>
>>> I still have a working 5630 in storage. It's quite a shame when the labs
>>> tries to productize a neat invention.
>>>
>>> Skip. Have you made a phone call on the 1ESS with it's two storey rails?
>>>
>>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2017-04-27 15:34     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2017-04-27 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I remember Stephen doing a demo call through the 1ESS. I thought we had a
9fans field trip to the museum during IWP9 2010 (but can't recall exactly).

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:24 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess Stephen should update his webpage. He's quite a specialized
> tinkerer. He built a huge analogue synthesizer for the Smashing Pumpkins,
> so big the photo he showed me was taken in a car lot. I had test audio of
> his S&H module as a ring-tone on my old nokia, which drove the nurses in
> hospital nuts. brucee has epilepsy.
>
> I still have a working 5630 in storage. It's quite a shame when the labs
> tries to productize a neat invention.
>
> Skip. Have you made a phone call on the 1ESS with it's two storey rails?
>
> brucee
>
> On 27 April 2017 at 14:12, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> From a recent twitter thread -- droppings?! :) -- I got the impression
>> that smj wasn't at Comm. Museum anymore.
>>
>> Coincidentally,  on the same thread I found out that by a series of happy
>> accidents my old 5620 ended up in a nice home, restored to its original
>> beauty. The same guy has done some amazing restoration of old and exotic
>> computers.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:57 PM Bruce Ellis <bruce.ellis@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> For those interested in the Blit and other stuff from the labs,
>>> particularly if you are in the Seattle area, you might like to contact
>>> smj@sdf.lonestar.org who is the Associated Curator of the
>>> Communications Museum. He gave me a tour and I introduced him to
>>> games/crabs.
>>>
>>> Big old telephone exchanges in working order are fun!
>>>
>>> brucee

* Re: [9fans] Blit
@ 2011-05-24 17:35 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2011-05-24 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Julius Schmidt <aiju@phicode.de> wrote:
> Since you guys might know this, just out of curiosity, is the Blit software
> (mpx, mpxterm, jim, ...) source code available somewhere?

Not exactly the same but the 5620 software is available at
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/retrocomputing/att/5620/software/
The dev5620.cpio.Z file has jim source code.
It is all apparently GPL-licensed.  Oh the irony.

Russ

* [9fans] Blit
@ 2011-05-24 17:14 Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-05-24 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Since you guys might know this, just out of curiosity, is the Blit
software (mpx, mpxterm, jim, ...) source code available somewhere?

aiju