categories - Category Theory list
* Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19  4:10 Richard Blute
                   ` (11 more replies)
From: Richard Blute @ 2023-12-19  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is with great sadness that we convey the news to the category theory community that our good friend and colleague Phil Scott passed away this morning (18th December, 2023) after a long battle with cancer.

Phil’s many contributions to category theory are well known. Phil and Jim Lambek essentially invented the field of categorical proof theory with a series of papers that culminated in the book “Introduction To Higher-Order Categorical Logic”, which is still the standard text on the subject. Phil’s research went well beyond these initial works: he made major contributions to theoretical computer science, linear logic, inverse semigroup theory and recursion theory.

Those of us who knew him personally will always think of him as a mentor, a friend and a genuinely kind soul.

Rick Blute

Robin Cockett

Simon Henry

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19 12:44 ` JS Lemay
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: JS Lemay @ 2023-12-19 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am heartbroken about Phil's passing. Phil was my friend and a very important mentor to me. Phil was also one of the nicest persons I have ever met.

I met Phil when I was an undergraduate student at the University of Ottawa in my first year, I took group theory from him. After that I took various other classes from him like linear algebra and history of mathematics, which was a very fun class! Near the end of undergrad when I deciding what area of research to study, Phil was the one who first mentioned category theory to me. Afterwards, through all of my grad school, Phil was still a mentor to me: always supporting my research and listening to my ideas. But more importantly, Phil became a friend. We would often catch up at the FMCS conference or whenever I was passing through Ottawa again. We also both visited Edinburgh at the same time, and often went on hikes together then. Even this past year, Phil was still encouraging me.

I will miss Phil truly. Thank you for all the support, encourage, guidance, mentorship, friendship, and kindness you have shown me over the years. May you rest in peace.

— JS PL

@ 2023-12-19 14:02   ` Timothy Porter
From: Timothy Porter @ 2023-12-19 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

Phil's death is a great loss to us all.  He and Marcia were good friends of myself and my wife. We last saw them in Llandudno, North Wales when they were on holiday. a few years ago.  I had hoped to show Phil more of the area, but that is not to be.

I will miss his chats on Skype.

Tim Porter

@ 2023-12-19 14:18     ` Sergei Soloviev
From: Sergei Soloviev @ 2023-12-19 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is  a  great loss. I remember him well.
Very deep thinker and gentle person...

Sergei Soloviev

Le Mardi, Décembre 19, 2023 15:02 CET, Timothy Porter <t.porter.maths@gmail.com> a écrit:

> [...]
>
> Those of us who knew him personally will always think of him as a mentor, a friend and a genuinely kind soul.
>
> Rick Blute
> Robin Cockett
> Simon Henry
>

> You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.
>
> View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0IeVCQnM1WfyQvo7Fx1aym?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xv0fCRONg6sz645NcNpSPh?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/LJFECVARmOHRJqgMUy2sfC?domain=aka.ms>

* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19 14:51 ` Prakash Panangaden
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Prakash Panangaden @ 2023-12-19 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am truly sorry to hear this dreadful news.  Phil and Marcia have been friends for nearly 40 years.  I was never a category theorist myself, but I did use it often in my work on theoretical computer science.  Phil was my guide through and mentor.  We had been out of touch for some years because of the pandemic, but we reconnected this year as were both having surgery at around the same time.  I enjoyed his fun spirit and his insights into categorical logic and type theory.  RIP Phil, we all miss you.
Prakash

Prakash Panangaden
School of Computer Science
McGill University

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/k3QNC5QP8ySDJkyxfz36V6?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________

@ 2023-12-19 15:29   ` Gordon Plotkin
From: Gordon Plotkin @ 2023-12-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have known Phil for so many years, I have no idea how long I have known him for. He and Marcia would often stay in Edinburgh and Hephzi and I would get together with them.

In recent years, it must have started during the pandemic, we got into the habit of a monthly Zoom call. An hour would pass before we knew it - or at least before I did.

Phil fought his illness with calm rationality and great strength. He did not give up.

I have lost a dear friend.

Gordon Plotkin

On 19 Dec 2023, at 06:53, Prakash Panangaden <prakash@cs.mcgill.ca> wrote:

This email was sent to you by someone outside the University.
You should only click on links or attachments if you are certain that the email is genuine and the content is safe.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/fYRhCVARmOHRJVjyIGbKmL?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________

@ 2023-12-19 15:48   ` Michael Barr, Prof.
From: Michael Barr, Prof. @ 2023-12-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was very saddened to hear of Phil's death.  I met him through Jim Lambek (he may have been Jim's postdoc) and then he went to Ottawa where I met him frequently.  There was to have been a book titled Programs, Grammars, Arguments with Jim, Phil, and (maybe me), but I guess it will not happen.  A version is available on my web.

RIP, Phil

Michael

________________________________

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/EgHfCp81gYCB20JRHPnGEB?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________
[...]

* Re: [EXT] Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19 16:03     ` Bob Coecke
From: Bob Coecke @ 2023-12-19 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.,
	Prakash Panangaden, Richard Blute, Categories mailing list

A bit of a shock.  Been good friends with Phil ever since he called Jim at home and I picked up the phone, around 2000.  Whenever in UK he always visited Oxford at the very least for a curry with us.  The last time Phil was here, just before pandemic, was at my daughter's b'day dinner, at a curry house of course.
________________________________

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/NmnSCmO5wZsrxV8ruGz8il?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________
[...]

@ 2023-12-19 16:57 ` Sacha Ikonicoff
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Sacha Ikonicoff @ 2023-12-19 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've only known Phil since last year, when I arrived in Ottawa for my current postdoc with Rick, Simon and Phil. We had the occasion to chat via zoom a lot since, as he was helping me with the delivery of an undergrad logic course. I was particularly struck by the generosity with which he shared his time, the contagious enthusiasm with which he was talking about logic, and how considerate he was towards the students (even if they weren't even his!). I unfortunately never had the chance of meeting in person. Last time I chatted via Zoom must have been in the summer, when he said that we'd "all soon have a big party together". That was the enthusiasm and willpower speaking. Now I can't help but feel like we've all been deprived of a great party indeed.

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GWrKC6XQ68fBNjW9HppCJ2?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vd0kC71R63CJg4R6SWM2Eq?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/uN4eC81Vq2CKGDkMS28cZp?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2023-12-19 17:08       ` Tom Leinster

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mNCuCXLW6DizQVvVC6_vv9?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________
[...]

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-19 17:23 ` amp12
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: amp12 @ 2023-12-19 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very sad news about Phil. I heard recently from mutual friends that he was ill, but I didn't realise it was so serious.

Susan and I got to know him and Marcia when we lived in Canada in the 80s (a great time for categorical logic) and we have been friends ever since. Our paths didn't cross recently and now it's too late to catch up. :-(

Andy

@ 2023-12-19 17:42         ` Sadrzadeh, Mehrnoosh
From: Sadrzadeh, Mehrnoosh @ 2023-12-19 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

such sad and sudden (for me) news! I didn't know he was battling cancer.

Phil was my maths supervisor when I arrived from Iran to Ottawa all those years ago. He helped me find my way around, introduced me to people, even got me an office and taught me how to use LaTex!

It feels like  he has always been around! We met at conferences and whenever he passed through where I was.  Always nice, always supportive,  and ready to explain a complicated piece of maths!

Last time I saw him was in the Gandy memorial workshop at Wolfson college Oxford.

... will  be enormously missed.
________________________________

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0iiACwV1jpSWjK4PHVLsgY?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________

@ 2023-12-19 17:45   ` Yan Steimle
From: Yan Steimle @ 2023-12-19 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I first got to know Phil Scott when I took his undergraduate course “Introduction to Linear Algebra” during my first session at University. It was Phil and his course that inspired me to change programs and study abstract mathematics. He also got me interested in mathematical logic and I went on to complete two Master’s degrees under his supervision. He had such a great passion for mathematical logic and theoretical computer science that I feel his passing will be a great loss to the mathematical community. I always appreciated his enthusiasm for the subject and his willingness to answer questions.
We lost touch this past year and I am greatly saddened that I won’t have the opportunity to catch up with him again and have further lengthy discussions about mathematical topics.

Yan Steimle

From: Sacha Ikonicoff <ikonicoff@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2023 at 12:13 PM
To: Richard Blute <rblute@uottawa.ca>
Attention : courriel externe | external email

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/8-tcCOMK7Ycy8n88hEUrWr?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/G0jVCP7L1NfkwWwws0nDEn?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IdlhCQnM1WfyQOQQhMJKx6?domain=aka.ms>

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ISIcCRONg6sz6E66SOmuCK?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KbRgCVARmOHRJ3JJTQx0Ir?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IdlhCQnM1WfyQOQQhMJKx6?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-19 17:46 ` Peter Hines
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Hines @ 2023-12-19 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just wanted to add my name to the list of many people who will deeply miss Phil.

As well as his outstanding contributions to our subject, I and many others will remember him as one of the genuinely nicest people I have ever known.

Peter Hines

On 19/12/2023 05:10, Richard Blute wrote:

[...]

                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-19 19:25 ` Peter Selinger
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Selinger @ 2023-12-19 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil was a great friend and mentor to me, and I am very sad to hear of his passing. Although I must have met Phil a year earlier, my first memory of him is in 1995 at the Newton Institute in Cambridge, when I was still a graduate student and there was a special term on Semantics of Computation. Later, he hired me at the University of Ottawa and showed me the ropes of everything, including applying for my first NSERC grant (Phil had just finished a term as the chair of the NSERC review committee in computer science for all of Canada), how to teach (I still use some of the course materials I got from him), how to organize a conference (LICS 2004), how to supervise graduate students, and how to navigate university politics. Many others have already described Phil as a friend and mentor, and he certainly was both to me in more ways than I can describe. He also knew every restaurant in Ottawa, although we ended up going to his favorite restaurant, the Green Door, more often than not. Phil and Marcia also loved to visit Halifax and have been here on many occasions, including a memorable visit to a live butterfly exhibit at the Natural History Museum when my kids were small.

Phil was always unassuming and friendly and never put on airs. I will miss him very dearly.

-- Peter

________________________________

@ 2023-12-19 22:16           ` Chris Heunen
From: Chris Heunen @ 2023-12-19 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's somber and sobering that Phil passed away. As I got to know him over the last couple of winters he spent in Edinburgh, he was very generous with his time, never assuming, and always gentle and cheerful. He made me feel like a proper category theorist and taught me many things. One of them was that he had found these wonderful boots at his favourite store when we went on a hike with the kids. I remember thinking they looked a bit dull, but know better now I'm wearing that brand shoes every day!

Our thoughts are with you Marcia - you'll be remembered Phil.

Chris

Get Outlook for iOS<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7vE3C0YKgRsLxvjRswy9AG?domain=aka.ms>
________________________________
[...]

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4-dYCgZ05Jf7368LSouqjg?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2LmLCjZ12RfvrEg7s5JgoF?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UhD8Ck815RCpElgMH9Zi9y?domain=aka.ms>

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.

* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19 22:19     ` Michael Healy
From: Michael Healy @ 2023-12-19 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil Scott's book with Jim Lambeck encouraged my interest in categorical logics.  I'm still learning thanks in large part to them.

Mike Healy
________________________________

From: Sacha Ikonicoff <ikonicoff@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2023 at 12:13 PM
To: Richard Blute <rblute@uottawa.ca>

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/swcyCvl1g2S391KjFXipXp?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6oleCwV1jpSWj69zh9CLe4?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PntVCxngGkf3l8w4FwgNWQ?domain=aka.ms>

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/wAGfCyoj8PuR1DkzCN_3OR?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/eks6CzvkmpfA1D9pFwdIjz?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PntVCxngGkf3l8w4FwgNWQ?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-20  1:01 ` Ross Street
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ross Street @ 2023-12-20  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In his generous way, Phil was corresponding last year with one of our graduate students, answering questions, sharing his ideas. That is when Phil had the health problem diagnosed. It was clearly a shock for him. We were hoping the treatment would give him much longer than it did. I am very sad with this news. I enjoyed talking with Phil on my visits to Montréal. There was always fine feedback from him and from Jim Lambek when I gave a seminar. I sat next to Phil on a plane flight when he was still putting the final touches to the "Intro to higher order categorical logic". Just about everything I know about lambda calculus comes from that book.

Please convey my condolences to Phil's family.

Ross

On 19 Dec 2023, at 3:10 pm, Richard Blute <rblute@uottawa.ca> wrote:

[...]

                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-20  9:33 ` Noam Zeilberger
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Noam Zeilberger @ 2023-12-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just wanted to echo some of the sentiments and express my sadness. I only had relatively short interactions with Phil over the years, but he was always very enthusiastic and encouraging, and it meant a lot. A few years ago I got interested in the extent of Lambek's connections with Dov Tamari, and he went and asked Lambek's sons about it. (He wrote me that "the oldest son Michael recalls that Lambek discussed it briefly at home, and he vaguely remembered that Jim had some discussions with Tamari (and maybe they even worked together) but he couldn’t remember any more.")

I did not know that Phil was fighting cancer, and am very sad that I will not hear his friendly voice again.

Noam

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MTUmCmO5wZsrXZNNhGyWad?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/JNFiCnx1Z5UYwzNNCJN7PJ?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ntmZCoV1Y2S09M33uVsmUC?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-20 15:23 ` Steve Awodey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Awodey @ 2023-12-20 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Blute; +Cc: Categories List

Dear Rick (and Categories, in cc),

This is very sad news indeed - thank you for letting us know.

When I spoke with Phil last spring (by zoom), I asked whether we’d be able to meet somewhere in the summer - maybe at the CT, or in the UK - and he replied quite matter of factly that he was battling cancer and probably wouldn’t be able to travel.   If only I had known that would be the last time I would speak to him!  I would have told him how grateful I am for everything he has given me over the years: his mathematical teaching, in print, lectures, and in private conversations; his advice on educational, professional and editorial matters; and most of all, his personal support and friendship.  We will all miss him as an insightful and influential member of our community, and I will also miss him as a kind and generous mentor and friend.  Thank you, Phil!

And best wishes to you all,

Steve

[...]

                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-20 17:17 ` Jason Parker
From: Jason Parker @ 2023-12-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I am very saddened to hear of Phil's passing. Phil was one of my PhD advisors at the University of Ottawa from 2015-2020 (along with Pieter Hofstra, who also sadly passed away in 2022). He was an extremely kind and supportive mentor in mathematics and in life. I also knew him to be a very caring and conscientious teacher, from when I served as a teaching assistant for his discrete mathematics course (on more than one occasion), and from when I took a graduate course with him on categorical logic.

I last saw him in person when I had a post-PhD-defense celebratory dinner at the Green Door restaurant in Ottawa (one of his favourites!), and in recent years I had seen him at various online seminars and conferences. I last spoke to him over e-mail in October, not knowing that that would be the last time we would speak.

May he rest in peace.

-Jason Parker

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mkkxCr810kCGMJ8lf7gEow?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lQd5Cvl1g2S31V7zfXSyVC?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6DoVCwV1jpSW6rG3t9UEMO?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-20 19:49   ` Joyal, André
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Joyal, André @ 2023-12-20 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

To Rick Blute, Robin Cockett and Simon Henry

I am very sad to learn that Phil has left us for another world.
I knew him from the time he was studying with Jim Lambek, about 50 years ago.
I have a good memory of the lively discussions we had in a café in the
Mile-End near McGill. He was always eager to discuss new ideas and
he had an apparent limitless thirst for mathematics.
His book with Lambek, "Introduction Higher Categorical Logic" is a landmark.
He created the school of category theory in Ottawa.

I owe him a personal debt: a few years ago, he took the initiative of presenting
my case to the Jeffery-Willams prize of the CMS, which I won in 2022!
Thank you Phil!

I wish there is a paradise for mathematicians, so they can continue their research.
Phil was a good angel and we need help.

André Joyal
________________________________

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ufeECvl1g2S318N7fQXh7p?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/VebPCwV1jpSW6x8GfqsMad?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/e0AoCxngGkf38vM1fYZ8Xy?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-20 21:00     ` Eduardo J. Dubuc
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2023-12-20 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Once Phil invited me while I was visiting Montreal to his seminar in
Ottawa to talk on MV-algebras, and I remember having on my short visit a
long and interesting discussion on dinatural transformation, where I
could appreciate the deepness of his mathematical thinking. Outside
mathematics he made me pass a wonderful stay in Ottawa. I fully agree
with Peter Hines who wrote to this thread

"I and many others will remember him as one of the genuinely nicest
people I have ever known."

Eduardo Dubuc

On 20/12/23 4:49 PM, Joyal, André wrote:
> [...]
>
>     Rick Blute____
>
>     Robin Cockett____
>
>     Simon Henry____
>
>     __ __
>
>     You're receiving this message because you're a member of the
>     Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take
>     part in this conversation, reply all to this message.
>     View group files
>     <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QmfyCE8wlRCNyzQ3SNCewb?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |
>     Leave group
>     <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/jwzoCGv0Z6fQnPV1t76TcO?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |
>     Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups
>     <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/MdpiCJyBZ6tDO27qSzgV77?domain=aka.ms>
>

> You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories
> mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this
> conversation, reply all to this message.

* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-20 21:20     ` Dusko Pavlovic

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/l61QCp81gYCBkW57iPtqBO?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/N6SLCq71jxfoB39VTXQ0q_?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/CGTQCr810kCGMYxWs41SaF?domain=aka.ms>

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/J-4TCvl1g2S315vRhAUryR?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mT6nCwV1jpSW6mo2F1Bh3U?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/CGTQCr810kCGMYxWs41SaF?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2023-12-20 21:25     ` Martin Escardo
From: Martin Escardo @ 2023-12-20 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I met Phil only twice in person, once at the IHS in Paris in 2014 and once shortly after that when he visited our institution. Both meetings with him were rather enjoyable and profitable.

In the latter, we discussed Higgs involution theorem, among other things (I don't remember why), which we discussed again a few months ago by private email after I asked a question here.

I came across his book, with Lambek, "Introduction to higher-order categorical logic", when I was an MSc student in Brazil in 1990.

I made a pirate photocopy of that book at that time (I can confess this because the statute of limitations has passed).  When he visited Birmingham a few years ago, I asked him to sign it for me, which he did gladly.

I am shocked and sad to learn he passed away. I didn't know he was ill when we interacted by email less than two months ago. He didn't mention that.

He will be missed by many.

Martin

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Vp8qCMwGj8CAP1OguwmM_3?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/PSCSCNLJxkiGL8lAu4MBgp?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/79YBCOMK7YcyYjRJFkDCcb?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2023-12-20 22:10     ` Oosten, J. van (Jaap)
From: Oosten, J. van (Jaap) @ 2023-12-20 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

It was Phil who informed me, in May of 2022, of the sudden death of my former PhD student Pieter Hofstra, who had become a colleague in Ottawa and a friend of Phil. I ws eager to know more, but didn't push since I felt it wasn't the right time. A year later, May 2023, I mailed Phil to ask whether we might meet at CT23 in Louvain-la-Neuve. He could not come to Europe but he proposed that we talk on skype since, as he rather off-handedly remarked, he was facing an operation with no certainty that he would survive.

We then talked on Skype and Phil told me the horrible story of Pieter's last year, and how he had been with Pieter almost every day.

We had another short exchange of mails this fall, when Phil told me the operation had not been an unqualified success. He was hoping to be able to visit Edinburgh in te summer of 2024.

Yes, I also went through "Introduction to higher-order categorical logic" as a master student (and I bought​ a copy!). But the candidness about his own illness, and the warmth he showed a younger colleague in grave difficulties, have made a deeper impression on me.

Jaap van Oosten
________________________________

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/8lXJCzvkmpfADDW6H4miBe?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Dbm9CANpnDCz00p4i84EeC?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xUGZCBNqgBCOqqWjfNbhsF?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2023-12-20 22:52       ` andrej.bauer
From: andrej.bauer @ 2023-12-20 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

It must have been 1991 or 1992. I was a mathematics major at the University of Ljubljana. During a visit in Zurich I walked into the ETH bookstore. There was a book there with a magical title:

“Introduction to Higher-order Categorical Logic”

I had always been interested in logic, but I never could find any sources about higher-order logic, let alone one that used the fancy thing called category theory. This was the most influential book I ever bought. It was my introduction to category theory. And the λ-calculus. And higher-order logic. I didn’t understand any of it until much later.

When I was a senior my professor Marko Petkovšek, a student of Dana Scott, asked me whether I’d be interested in applying to CMU to study under Dana Scott. My reply was: “Is this the Dana Scott of the D infinity construction from the Introduction to Higher-Order Categorical Logic book?”

Thank you, Phil, you will be missed.

Andrej Bauer

* Re: [External] Phil Scott
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-21 15:23 ` James Lipton
From: James Lipton @ 2023-12-21 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil was an extraordinary researcher and a wonderful human being. The news is very sad.

I wonder if anyone has his wife’s email so i can send my condolences. I last saw them both at the programming semantics year at the Isaac Newton Center in Cambridge and have very good memories of the encounters…

— Jim Lipton

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/cwrgCoV1Y2S00V1Zh1bwl6?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/n36UCp81gYCBB0JKHDflNi?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-q3uCq71jxfooyxlHQWUpT?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Phil Scott
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-12-26 20:22 ` Dominic
From: Dominic @ 2023-12-26 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)