categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-21 15:12 Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2023-12-21 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Once Phil invited me while I was visiting Montreal to his seminar in
Ottawa to talk on MV-algebras, and I remember having on my short visit a
long and interesting discussion on dinatural transformation, where I
could appreciate the deepness of his mathematical thinking. Outside
mathematics he made me pass a wonderful stay in Ottawa. I fully agree
with Peter Hines who wrote to this thread

"I and many others will remember him as one of the genuinely nicest
people I have ever known."

Eduardo Dubuc

* Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19 17:52 Jean-Baptiste Vienney
From: Jean-Baptiste Vienney @ 2023-12-19 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Phil was my PhD advisor together with Rick. I met him soon after I came first to Ottawa in April 2021 at the end of my master's program in France for an internship originally  with Rick. I'm so sad that he left us. But I'm so impressed by how he stayed brave until the end. He was still showing up at our logic seminar at the university of Ottawa, even a few days ago. He was apologizing for not being able to come to our meetings with Rick even if we knew he was very sick. Rest in peace Phil, I will not forget anything you told me, you were a great guy and thank you for having been so supportive of me. I'll do my best in math while remembering you.

Jean-Baptiste Vienney

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Phil Scott
@ 2023-12-19  4:10 Richard Blute
                   ` (10 more replies)
From: Richard Blute @ 2023-12-19  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)