* Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 21:06 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-07 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, so now I've filled out the forms to register myself as a company,
so that I can apply to Visa to be able to take Visa orders, so that I
can do that Gnus cups thing.  Phew.

But the company has to have a name, and since it's just going to sell
Gnus stuff, I thought about «Gnus Network User Services», but I
dunno.  Perhaps I want to do something else.  And the "network" part
isn't really appropriate, but what other word that begins with an "n"
fits there?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 21:52 ` Niels Olof Bouvin
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Niels Olof Bouvin @ 1998-01-07 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

[...]

  And the "network" part isn't really appropriate, but what other word
> that begins with an "n" fits there?

In this case? Novelty.

Cheers
	Niels Olof

--
Niels Olof Bouvin http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~bouvin/ Voice: (+45)89423274 \ /
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro (")

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 22:41   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-07 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Niels Olof Bouvin <n.o.bouvin@daimi.aau.dk> writes:

> In this case? Novelty.

«Gnus Novelties Und Stuff»?  Uhm.

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 22:45 ` Wes Hardaker
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> Ok, so now I've filled out the forms to register myself as a
Lars> company, so that I can apply to Visa to be able to take Visa
Lars> orders, so that I can do that Gnus cups thing.  Phew.

One, you're insane.

Lars> But the company has to have a name, and since it's just going to sell
Lars> Gnus stuff, I thought about «Gnus Network User Services»,

  Gnus Not Useless Software

hmmm...

I was trying to think of something that implied gnus was not *just*
software, but didn't come up with anything either...

  Gnus never ??? sales

uhhh

  Gnus not useless shit?

  Gnus nights under sun

(ok, I've gone off the deep end)

  Gnus Newtonian Ultra Stuff

(I've started playing with ispell dictionaries now)

  Gnus Novelty Ultra Stuff

  Gnus Nobility's Ultra Stuff!

Ha!

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 22:45 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-01-07 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> But the company has to have a name, and since it's just going to
> sell Gnus stuff, I thought about ŤGnus Network User Servicesť, but I
> dunno.  Perhaps I want to do something else.  And the "network" part
> isn't really appropriate, but what other word that begins with an
> "n" fits there?

Let's see.  Here are our choices:

    Nab, nabla, nadir, nag, nagging, naiad, nail, naive, naivete,
    naked name, nameable, nameplate, namesake, nanometer, nanosecond,
    nap, nape, napkin, narcissism, narcissist, narcissus, narcosis,
    narcotic, narrate, narrow, nary, nasal, nascent, nasturtium,
    nasty, natal, nation, nationhood, nationwide, native, natty,
    natural, nature, naturopath, naughty, nausea, nauseate, nauseum,
    nautical, nautilus, naval, nave, navel, navigable, navigate, navy,
    nay, ne, neap, near, nearby, nearest, nearsighted, neat, neater,
    neath, nebula, nebulae, nebular, nebulous, necessary, necessitate,
    necessity, neck, necklace, neckline, necktie, necromancer,
    necromancy, necromantic, necropsy, necrosis, necrotic, nectar,
    nectareous, nectarine, nectary, nee, need, needful, needham,
    needle, needlepoint, needlework, needn't, needy, negate, neglect,
    neglecter, negligee, negligent, negligible, negotiable, negotiate,
    neither, nemesis, neoclassic, neoconservative, neodymium,
    neolithic, neologism, neon, neonatal, neonate, neophyte, neoprene,
    nepenthe, nephew, neptunium, nereid, nerve, nervous, nest, nestle,
    net, nether, netherworld, nettle, nettlesome, network, neural,
    neuralgia, neurasthenic, neuritis, neuroanatomic, neuroanatomy,
    neuroanotomy, neurology, neuromuscular, neuron, neuronal,
    neuropathology, neurophysiology, neuropsychiatric, neuroses,
    neurosis, neurotic, neuter, neutral, neutrino, neutron, neve,
    never, nevertheless, new, newborn, newcomer, newel, newfound,
    newline, newlywed, newsboy, newscast, newsletter, newsman,
    newsmen, newspaper, newspaperman, newspapermen, newsreel,
    newsstand, newt, newton, next, niacin, nib, nibble, nibs, nice,
    nicety, niche, nichrome, nick, nickel, nickname, nicotinamide,
    nicotine, niece, niggardly, nigger, niggle, nigh, night, nightcap,
    nightclub, nightdress, nightfall, nightgown, nighthawk,
    nightingale, nightmare, nightmarish, nightshirt, nighttime,
    nihilism, nihilist, nil, nilpotent, nimble, nimbus, nine,
    ninebark, ninefold, nineteen, nineteenth, ninetieth, ninety,
    ninth, niobium, nip, nipple, nirvana, nit, nitpick, nitrate,
    nitric, nitride, nitrite, nitrogen, nitrogenous, nitroglycerine,
    nitrous, nitty, no, nob, nobelium, noble, nobleman, noblemen,
    noblesse, nobody, nobody'd, nocturnal, nocturne, nod, nodal, node,
    nodular, nodule, noise, noisemake, noisy, nolo, nomad, nomadic,
    nomenclature, nominal, nominate, nominee, nomogram, nomograph,
    non, nonagenarian, nonce, nonchalant, nondescript, none,
    nonetheless, nonogenarian, nonsensic, nonsensical, noodle, nook,
    noon, noontime, noose, nor, norm, normal, normalcy, normative,
    north, northbound, northeast, northeastern, northerly, northern,
    northernmost, northland, northward, northwest, northwestern, nose,
    nosebag, nosebleed, nostalgia, nostalgic, nostril, not, notary,
    notate, notch, note, notebook, noteworthy, nothing, notice,
    noticeable, notify, notion, notocord, notoriety, notorious,
    notwithstanding, noun, nourish, nouveau, nova, novel, novelty,
    novice, novitiate, novo, now, nowaday, nowadays, nowhere, nowise,
    noxious, nozzle, n's, nu, nuance, nubile, nucleant, nuclear,
    nucleate, nuclei, nucleic, nucleoli, nucleolus, nucleotide,
    nucleus, nuclide, nude, nudge, nugatory, nugget, nuisance, null,
    nullify, numb, numerable, numeral, numerate, numeric, numerology,
    numerous, numinous, numismatic, numismatist, nun, nuptial, nurse,
    nursery, nurture, nut, nutate, nutcrack, nuthatch, nutmeg, nutria,
    nutrient, nutrition, nutritious, nutritive, nutshell, nuzzle,
    nylon, nymph, nymphomania and nymphomaniac.

My favorites: necromantic, neuropsychiatric, nosebag, numismatic and,
of course, nymphomaniac.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 22:49     ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-01-07 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> «Gnus Novelties Und Stuff»?  Uhm.

"Gnus Novel and Ulterior Souvenirs".
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Me, the businessman
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-07 22:51 ` Mats Löfdahl
From: Mats Löfdahl @ 1998-01-07 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> But the company has to have a name, and since it's just going to sell
> Gnus stuff, I thought about «Gnus Network User Services», but I
> dunno.  Perhaps I want to do something else.  And the "network" part
> isn't really appropriate, but what other word that begins with an "n"
> fits there?

"News"?  (This actually makes it quite funny to read the first three
words aloud.)

--
Mats Löfdahl

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-07 23:02     ` William M. Perry
From: William M. Perry @ 1998-01-07 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Niels Olof Bouvin <n.o.bouvin@daimi.aau.dk> writes:
>
> > In this case? Novelty.
>
> «Gnus Novelties Und Stuff»?  Uhm.

  Numinous?

-bp

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-08  0:16   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-08  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

>   Gnus Novelty Ultra Stuff

something else.  Uhm.  «Gnus Novelties & Unctuous Souvenirs».  «Gnus
Novelties & Ungood Stuff»?

Oh, by the way -- I think I'll do some more t-shirts this summer.  It
seems like something lots of people want to have.  They'll be (ding)
Gnus commemorative t-shirts -- celebrating 3.33 years since the first
(ding) Gnus release.  Uhm, no, that would be in April.  Isn't there
something to celebrate in June?  19941211->what?  It doesn't have to
be in decimal; octal or tertiary would do fine.

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-08  1:02     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-08  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 96 bytes --]

> Novelties & Ungood Stuff»?

s/good/dead/g

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-08  1:23     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-08  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> something else.  Uhm.  «Gnus Novelties & Unctuous Souvenirs».  «Gnus
Lars> Novelties & Ungood Stuff»?

Heh...

  «Gnus Novelties, Underwear, Souvenirs»

Plan for the future, I always say...

  «Gnus Novelties & Usenet Souvenirs»??

Otherwise, pick your own:

unmindful, urgency, urinate, untouchable, upset, usenet, ukrainian,
unruly, umpire, unavailability, upbring, usurer, underpayment,
underpopulated, utah, ultraviolet, underground, upswing, unclean,
unclear, utica, ultracentrifugally, undependable, unprovocative,
undersea, undershot, unfold, unhand, undedicated, uptrend, unthinking,
unblinking, uranyl, utile, unrestrained, unimaginative, unsavory,
undersize, upped, uranus, upper, upfield, unromantic, undergraduate,
underside, unchristian, undeserved, unessential, uplift, upgrade,
uucp, unreflective, unfraternizing, unbroken, unblock, undertake,
unwaivering, utterance, unsociable, uncomfortable, unibus,
ultraconservative, umbilici, unction, unutterably, uncanny, ursula,
unbiased, unstigmatized, undercount, untellable, unsure,
universalistic, ultrasonically, unofficial, uparrow, upload,
unrestrictive, underpins, unfixed, utilization, undersecretary,
unwrap, uncooperative, unthinkable, underwear, unfortunate,
unmodifiable, unworkable, unideal, unfailing, unencroachable,
unfavored, upbeat, underwent, untenanted, uncap, underway,
unvulcanized, usual, uncle, unconscionable, univariate, usurp, ullman,
unhealthy, unmalicious, urbanized, usurpation, underfoot, unkindly,
undeniably, undeniable, usury, unlucky, unmoving, upright, untoward,
upton, unfrozen, unglamorous, unchanging, uprise, upward, ultimate,
unconstrained, unionize, undercover, unadulterated, undeliverability,
underreporting, undertow, underplay, unleash, unmanageably, unseemly,
unravel, utmost, ultrastructure, urethane, unwholesome, unlearn,
upside, uptake, underflow, unmanageable, ultimatum, uproar, untrue,
underestimate, unconcern, underscore, unredeemable, undergoes,
urethra, unary, unendurable, unkind, ultramarine, unauthorized,
uproot, unacceptable, undergone, underadjusting, uniprocessor, upshot,
unionization, unwilling, unidolized, unidirectional, uruguay,
undervalued, unnerve, unhelpful, upraise, unremarkable, unequal,
unteach, univalve, unaggressive, umbilicus, umbilical, ulcer, unfit,
unearth, uncivilized, uncomment, unfashionable, uremia, upholstery,
understandably, understandable, unnerving, underdone, upbraid,
unimpressive, usurious, unmethodical, underheat, unphysical, umber,
ungrammatical, unsubtle, unkempt, underutilized, unworthy, umbra,
unmake, unassailable, utopia, unmeritorious, uniformity, undergrad,
unwrapping, ultracentrifuge, ultrashort, unadventurous, under,
unanticipated, unstable, unmask, unnecessary, unhinge, unfamiliarity,
unorthodox, uninitiate, underbedding, uncleanly, unesco, undue, urban,
ultramodern, underwood, ucla, unconfirmed, understood, unholy,
unfeigned, undercurrent, ungainly, usability, uncousinly, unbecoming,
unhook, upsetting, unbutton, unconditional, untimely, update, uncouth,
unbudging, unimportant, unalienable, undefinability, unprincipled,
unjam, unmobilized, unfriendly, uncritical, unfertile, underwhelm,
useless, utter, universalize, usably, usable, undertook, universalism,
universal, universality, uart, upcome, underemployment, unguessable,
unless, unbreakable, unpicturesque, unselfconscious, unrewarding,
unrecognized, upstream, upwind, upstate, unenergized, unsafe,
unnatural, uncover, unwarrantable, untraditional, unmagnetized,
unsuitable, university, undefined, unhallow, unproven, usc's,
unsettled, undeviating, unwashed, unanimity, unfathomable, unhappy,
urinal, understandability, usc's, universe, underneath, unchangeable,
unsound, uptime, utilizes, ungracious, unitarianism, unpack, ugly,
uniroyal, unprepared, undaunted, unpatronizing, usage, unread,
understudy, unreal, underconsumption, unprovable, upstanding, unify,
ubiquitous, unsystematic, uneven, unity, upholstering, union,
unremitting, upperclassman, urbanization, upperclassmen, unrest,
unlink, unite, urbana, urbane, uninvolved, unproductive, unwound,
underbrush, underwater, undershirt, unalienability, usart,
unvocalized, unrecordable, unharmonious, unlike, underutilization,
undulate, ulysses, understructure, unrepentant, unliterary,
unindustrialized, unsatisfying, undoubted, unstuffy, unquestionable,
unitarian, unanimous, unassuming, ultrasonic, uttered, unicorn,
underachievers, unison, unidimensional, uncommon, unappeasable,
unappeasably, unseat, unfaded, unstilted, underrepresentation, unisys,
uneducated, uncauterized, unprecedented, undelete, unavailable,
uppercut, unmemorialized, unimodal, ulterior, undercut, undergarments,
unquestioning, unforgiving, uptown, upsilon, untenable, unload,
unaccustomed, unitized, unending, unlock, untrammeled, unfitting,
utopianism, undiplomatic, uncertain, unimpeachable, unpolarized,
unimpeachably, usg's, usg's, underdeveloped, undercooked, unjust,
unipolar, unpartisan, unattainability, underhanded, unmeasured,
unmerciful, unmet, uncomprehending, unmannered, unable, underclassmen,
unbent, unbend, unquiet, ungallant, unsavored, underclassman, utopian,
ulster, uprising, upstairs, utensil, uninteresting, uninhibited,
unsteady, undereducated, underarm, unripe, unbound, unrepresentative,
unique, unsuccessful, unconscious, underenumeration, ultrasound,
unrelieved, underline, underling, upkeep, unwary, uppercase,
unspectacular, ursuline, unlimited, unsinkable, unaware, uncodable,
unidirectionality, unperturbed, undramatized, unreasoning,
unbelieving, unmanly, upriver, unsophisticated, unwearied, unsee,
uncolored, understatement, ultrix, unroll, upend, upheld, unimposing,
unfair, unsurmountable, undo, unsightly, undershoot, underclothes,
uninterrupted, unfossilized, unit, unilluminating, unix, uranium,
underrepresented, unobservable, unhesitant, undermine, unifilar,
underbracing, urine, unhurt, unconcerned, unbounded, univac,
uninominal, underrate, univalent, unshed, unamused, unscrew,
unprocurable, underdog, uganda, ulcerate, usher, unhurried,
uncourageous, unprofessional, underreported, unready, unflinching,
untraceable, undergo, unreceptive, uninterested, unsold,
uncharacteristic, uttermost, unbind, unimaginable, uppermost,
unstinting, unconnected, unknown, unceasing, uncommunicative, underly,
uncombable, understanding, urbanism, unforgeable, unservile,
uneconomical, unfamiliar, unfading, urbanite, useful, umbrage,
unbeknownst, unwomanly, upland, united, unrelenting, unmarried,
unabashed, unenviable, unmineralized, updraft, uniform, unfoldment,
upheaval, unix's, unix's, upholster, unbalance, uphill, unreason,
undetermined, unreliable, unwed, urea, unfelt, undeliverable,
uneventful, urge, unreality, unsatisfactory, underbelly, unsettling,
ultrafast, until, unrelated, untie, ursa, unattainable, underpinning,
unwieldy, unpremeditated, underpaid, usaf, usda, ungodly, used,
urchin, user, unitary, uncool, unspecific, unlovely, underwrite,
utility, utilize, underenumerated, unease, unlikely, uphold,
utilitarian, underprivileged, ussr, usps, undress, unequivocal,
understand, unwind, upturn, unaccountable, underemployed, unreadable,
uneasy, uneulogized, undergirding, urgent, underclothing,
unmentionable, udall, upon, unwire, understate, unalterably, upslope,
unasterisked, unwelcome, unclouded, unwise, unalterable, unpaintable,
undergrowth, unambitious, unemployment, unambiguity, unextended,
upsurge, unscathed, unheated, unacknowledged, untidy, unorganized,
undertaker, unyielding, undertaken, unsheathe, ultra, unabated,
uproarious, unsystematized, unfaithful, underregistration,
unmistakably, unmount, unvarying, unilateral, ubiquity, unhydrolyzed,
umbrella, unpreemphasized, underlay, underdevelopment,
ultracentrifugation, unavailing, undecided, unlabored, underlie,
uterine, unpopular, unintended, undumper, undialyzed, unmitigated,
underworld, uneconomic, usenix, unambiguous, unreported, urinary,
--

@ 1998-01-08  8:16       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-08  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>> Novelties & Ungood Stuff»?

> s/good/dead/g

You *do* mean
	C-% good RET dead RET !
I hope...?

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-08  8:46   ` Francois Felix Ingrand
From: Francois Felix Ingrand @ 1998-01-08  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > But the company has to have a name, and since it's just going to
> > sell Gnus stuff, I thought about «Gnus Network User Services», but I
> > dunno.  Perhaps I want to do something else.  And the "network" part
> > isn't really appropriate, but what other word that begins with an
> > "n" fits there?

What about Nerd ?

Gnus Nerd User Services

Francois Felix INGRAND                       "Dieu est un fumeur de Havane."
Professional: http://www.laas.fr/~felix         mailto:felix@laas.fr
Personal: http://worldserver.oleane.com/felix   mailto:felix@dial.oleane.com

* Re: Me, the businessman
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-08  9:01 ` Lars Syrstad
From: Lars Syrstad @ 1998-01-08  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> But the company has to have a name, and since it's just going to sell
> Gnus stuff, I thought about «Gnus Network User Services», but I
> dunno.  Perhaps I want to do something else.  And the "network" part
> isn't really appropriate, but what other word that begins with an "n"
> fits there?

Gnus' Nature, Untamed Something.

Or perhaps something else for Something...

Gnus' Nature, Unleashed Sometingelse.

Hmm.

  - Lars.
--
Fly like a rock from the roof to the basement
The last thing to go through my mind is the pavement

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-08  9:23       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-08  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Heh...
>
>   «Gnus Novelties, Underwear, Souvenirs»
>
> Plan for the future, I always say...
>
>   «Gnus Novelties & Usenet Souvenirs»??

The latter seems more logical, so I prefer the former.  Besides, it's
really accurate, what with the t-shirts and all.

* Re: Me, the businessman
@ 1998-01-08 14:48         ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-08 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> You *do* mean
> 	C-% good RET dead RET !
> I hope...?

No.  After careful consideration, I concluded that using vi notation
was quite appropriate when discussing undead stuff.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-08 15:49         ` Neil Crellin
From: Neil Crellin @ 1998-01-08 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> > Heh...
> >
> >   «Gnus Novelties, Underwear, Souvenirs»
> >
> > Plan for the future, I always say...
> >
> >   «Gnus Novelties & Usenet Souvenirs»??
>
> The latter seems more logical, so I prefer the former.  Besides, it's
> really accurate, what with the t-shirts and all.

Well, yes, but if the purpose is convincing the bank of the
commerce-ness of your company, perhaps you should tell them the
sensible sounding name, but keep the fun one for us.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-08 16:27           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-08 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neil Crellin <neilc@wallaby.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> Well, yes, but if the purpose is convincing the bank of the
> commerce-ness of your company, perhaps you should tell them the
> sensible sounding name, but keep the fun one for us.

The Rules are that since the company I'm starting is a one person
company, my last name has to be in the name of the company (i. e.,
"unit" ("enhet")).  The name of the company is "Programmerer
Ingebrigtsen", which means "Programmer Ingebrigtsen".  Think "Farmer
Jones".  However, the name of the, uh, "virksomhet", uhm, the thing
that does the thing it does (and which is the name of the company on
letters and ads (ha!) and stuff can be chosen freely.  Which means
that I can use the serious one for talking to bank and the funny one
when not talking to banks, but both names will be "real" names.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-08 20:01             ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-01-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The Rules are that since the company I'm starting is a one person
> company, my last name has to be in the name of the company (i. e.,
> "unit" ("enhet")).  The name of the company is "Programmerer

In the Netherlands if you become a one person company you loose some
social security protection, your taxes become much more complicated
etc etc. Isn't that that the case in Norway?

Jan

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-08 22:06               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-08 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> In the Netherlands if you become a one person company you loose some
> social security protection, your taxes become much more complicated
> etc etc. Isn't that that the case in Norway?

Social security is unaffected, but the taxes do become much more
complicated.  The past years all I've had to to for taxes is to make
one X mark ("Do we have all the info on you?  Yes: X") and sign.
(Dontcha love modern databases?)  From the next year on I'll have to
actually fill out that darn form.  Ick.

It's not too bad, though.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-09  0:30                 ` Wes Hardaker
                                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-09  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars>  From the next year on I'll have to
Lars> actually fill out that darn form.  Ick.

Lars> It's not too bad, though.

I repeat "You're crazy".  Do you really expect enough people to use
this to make it worth your while (other than the fact you can
advertise on the gnus web page)?

--

@ 1998-01-09  0:44                 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

You know, if this wasn't distributed under the GNU copyright, I'd be
getting real scared about now that this was just a preliminary setup
for, *gasp*, charging for Gnus!

--

@ 1998-01-09  8:10                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-09  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I repeat "You're crazy".  Do you really expect enough people to use
> this to make it worth your while (other than the fact you can
> advertise on the gnus web page)?

Uhm...  Well, that depends on what you mean by "it" and "this".

But probably no, I do it because I *want* to.  That's the only good
reason for doing anything, I think.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-09  8:11                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-09  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> You know, if this wasn't distributed under the GNU copyright, I'd be
> getting real scared about now that this was just a preliminary setup
> for, *gasp*, charging for Gnus!

Oh, Gnus?  I've already sold that to Microsoft.  They're not really
interested in it; they just want to use their ownership to challenge
the validity of the GNU copyright in general to be able to take over
Linux.

Look for the case to appear in a Texas court this February.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-09 16:23                     ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Oh, Gnus?  I've already sold that to Microsoft.  They're not
Lars> really interested in it; they just want to use their ownership
Lars> to challenge the validity of the GNU copyright in general to be
Lars> able to take over Linux.

Oh cool!  Some of my code has been sold to Microsoft!  Wow!

You know, I had this idea the other day: Write a really cool package
intending it to be targeted by Microsloth.  Make it perfect and
bugless; develop a decent, happy, user base; begin negotiations with
Microsoft at the same time as you begin throwing in bugs and coding
practice; finish sale to microsoft selling them the current code set;
when they release the next version, full of bugs (like you really
needed add any to make this happen), exclaim to the public that when
the project was under your control no versions were ever released with
the major bugs that Microsoft must have introduced...

Repeat as necessary.  (heck the cash alone from this is worth it).

Wes
--

@ 1998-01-11  1:44                 ` Matt Simmons
From: Matt Simmons @ 1998-01-11  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Social security is unaffected, but the taxes do become much
    Lars> more complicated.  The past years all I've had to to for
    Lars> taxes is to make one X mark ("Do we have all the info on
    Lars> you?  Yes: X") and sign.  (Dontcha love modern databases?)

Is this the part where the Americans pool our money and send a few
people over there to beat you over the head with a large stack of 1040
and (insert state tax form name here - I, for example, have four from
which to choose this year) forms?

I hope at least that Norwegian tax rates are higher than the ones we
pay here, if only to make up for all the fun you're missing.

Matt

--
     Matt Simmons  -  simmonmt@acm.org  -  http://www.netcom.com/~simmonmt
		 The way to a man's heart is through his veins.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-11  2:23                   ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1998-01-11  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >     Lars> Social security is unaffected, but the taxes do become much
 >     Lars> more complicated.  The past years all I've had to to for
 >     Lars> taxes is to make one X mark ("Do we have all the info on
 >     Lars> you?  Yes: X") and sign.  (Dontcha love modern databases?)

 > Is this the part where the Americans pool our money and send a few
 > people over there to beat you over the head with a large stack of 1040
 > and (insert state tax form name here - I, for example, have four from
 > which to choose this year) forms?

I think the appropriate thing to do is that those of us who still wish
to send cash should wrap it in tax forms, instead of newspaper.  :)

But if people want to pay my flight so I can do it personally, I
certainly won't object.  It's about time I visited Norway again.

--Paul

* Re: Me, the businessperson
                                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-12  7:13                 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-12  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:
>> In the Netherlands if you become a one person company you loose some
>> social security protection, your taxes become much more complicated
>> etc etc. Isn't that that the case in Norway?

> Social security is unaffected,

Actually, I belive it's much the same, because this happens in Norway
when your one person company becomes your main occupation.

You have to make sure that you pay insurance, and build up pension
points and the like, because nobody else will be doing it for you
(ie. this is what a company that hires you have to do, which is one of
the reasons it can actually be cheaper to hire expensive consultants,
than to actually employ people).

But you've already gotten a paying day job, so this doesn't apply to
you.

> but the taxes do become much more complicated.

This applies, however.

- Steinar

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-12  7:17                   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-12  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I hope at least that Norwegian tax rates are higher than the ones we
> pay here, if only to make up for all the fun you're missing.

Income taxes are approx. at the California level.  *But* sales taxes
and the like, are *much* higher ("moms" (our VAT) is at... 23%).

Some items, like cars, alchol and tobacco, have even higher taxation
levels.

- Steinar

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-12 13:21                     ` Per Abrahamsen
       [not found]                       ` <6f90sl6cr5.fsf@bavur.dna.lth.se>
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-12 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> Income taxes are approx. at the California level.  *But* sales taxes
> and the like, are *much* higher ("moms" (our VAT) is at... 23%).

23%?  Ha, that's nothing!  We have 25% moms.  As our politicians
explained last time it was raised:  This is *such* an easy number to
calculate with.

And out income tax?  The world highest!  Our national pride!  We are
#1!  Unbeaten!  We are the world champions in taxation!  The best of
the best!  Ha, Swedes and Norwegians: Your crowns are worthless and
your taxation levels are puny.  "Der er et yndigt land/ det står bag
brede bøge/ |nær salten Østerstrand|/ det bugter sig i bakke, dal/ det
hedder gamle Danmark/ |og det er Frejas sal|/"

Oh, I think I got carried away for a moment.

This message has been brought to you on behalf of the
"Scandinavian Tax Pride Week".

* Re: Me, the businessperson
       [not found]                       ` <6f90sl6cr5.fsf@bavur.dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-01-12 14:03                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-12 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt Swanson <ksw@dna.lth.se> writes:

> Are you sure about this?  Last I'd heard, Sweden had the highest total
> taxation (government budget income as a percentage of BNP).

Yeah; it's really unfair.  Norway used to have the highest taxation
level, but the swine lowered our taxes.  *whine*  (I think my employer
deducts something like 33% and sends to the government.  Or
something.  I haven't been paying attention much.)

Fortunately, the Swedes lowered the sales tax on foodstuffs to, uh,
8%, so we've got them beat there with our 23% sales tax.  Nyah, nyah.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-12 18:43             ` Dan Schmidt
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Dan Schmidt @ 1998-01-12 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

| The Rules are that since the company I'm starting is a one person
| company, my last name has to be in the name of the company (i. e.,
| "unit" ("enhet")).  The name of the company is "Programmerer
| Ingebrigtsen", which means "Programmer Ingebrigtsen".  Think "Farmer
| Jones".  However, the name of the, uh, "virksomhet", uhm, the thing
| that does the thing it does (and which is the name of the company on
| letters and ads (ha!) and stuff can be chosen freely.  Which means
| that I can use the serious one for talking to bank and the funny one
| when not talking to banks, but both names will be "real" names.

Um, are you implying that "Progammerer Ingebrigtsen" is a serious
name?

Actually, now that I think of it, I want a Programmerer Ingebrigtsen
T-shirt.  With lots of big Norwegian words on it.  Please consider.

--
                 Dan Schmidt -> dfan@harmonixmusic.com, dfan@alum.mit.edu
Honest Bob & the                http://www2.thecia.net/users/dfan/

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-12 20:38               ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1998-01-12 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

dfan@harmonixmusic.com (Dan Schmidt) writes:

> Actually, now that I think of it, I want a Programmerer Ingebrigtsen
> T-shirt.  With lots of big Norwegian words on it.  Please consider.

Hear! Hear!

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-12 21:17               ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Dan> Actually, now that I think of it, I want a Programmerer
Dan> Ingebrigtsen T-shirt.  With lots of big Norwegian words on it.
Dan> Please consider.

Ohhhhh....  I like it...  Or maybe on the bottom edge of the coffee mug?

I could just picture it.

  "Hey!  I see that you have a "Programmerer Ingebrightsen" Mug (or
  shirt).  Are you that really cool guy Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen who
  wrote the world's most adored news/everything reader?"

  [sheepishly glance at feet while shuffling them], "Um, no, I'm afraid
  not.  I bought this shirt (or mug) solely to impersonate him."

  "You fiend!"  *slap*

Yeah!  I want one too!
--

@ 1998-01-12 21:54                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-12 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Oh cool!  Some of my code has been sold to Microsoft!  Wow!

Is it something you want to put on your CV, though?

  45) 1995-1998 -- Wrote software for Microsoft without knowing it

Looks kinda good, I think.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-12 21:57               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-12 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

dfan@harmonixmusic.com (Dan Schmidt) writes:

> Um, are you implying that "Progammerer Ingebrigtsen" is a serious
> name?

Well -- it doesn't contain the word "Underwear", so it's (at least)
*more* serious.

And if bakers can call their companies "Baker Andersen", why can't I
use my title in my company?  Huh?  Huh?  :-)

> Actually, now that I think of it, I want a Programmerer Ingebrigtsen
> T-shirt.  With lots of big Norwegian words on it.  Please consider.

I don't think you want to trust me to not put embarrasing words in
there someweher.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13  0:14                 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-13  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Um, are you implying that "Progammerer Ingebrigtsen" is a serious
>> name?

Lars> Well -- it doesn't contain the word "Underwear", so it's (at least)
Lars> *more* serious.

Solution:  "Programmerer Ingebrigtsen's Underwear".

--

@ 1998-01-13  0:15                         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-13  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> 45) 1995-1998 -- Wrote software for Microsoft without knowing it

Lars> Looks kinda good, I think.

So does

--

@ 1998-01-13  1:13                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-13  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Actually, now that I think of it, I want a Programmerer Ingebrigtsen
> > T-shirt.  With lots of big Norwegian words on it.  Please consider.
>
> I don't think you want to trust me to not put embarrasing words in
> there someweher.

Hey -- "programmerer" and "Ingebrigtsen" have the same number of
characters in them.  (Uh -- not split personality characters, but,
like, letters.)  That, like, must mean that A Logo Must Be Made.  How
about (view the following in lucidatypewriter):

   (programmerer
    Ingebrigtsen)

Huh?  Huh?

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13  7:08             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-13  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The Rules are that since the company I'm starting is a one person
> company, my last name has to be in the name of the company (i. e.,
> "unit" ("enhet")).  The name of the company is "Programmerer
> Ingebrigtsen", which means "Programmer Ingebrigtsen".  Think "Farmer
> Jones".  However, the name of the, uh, "virksomhet", uhm, the thing
> that does the thing it does (and which is the name of the company on
> letters and ads (ha!) and stuff can be chosen freely.  Which means
> that I can use the serious one for talking to bank and the funny one
> when not talking to banks, but both names will be "real" names.

Hm... if your company goes into receivership, "Programmerer
Ingebrigtsen" is the name that has to go.

(interesting to see how many of the bars, pubs and restaurants of Oslo
has different names on the place itself, and the company that owns
it. But I digress...)

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13 13:51                 ` Robert Bihlmeyer
From: Robert Bihlmeyer @ 1998-01-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

 >> Actually, now that I think of it, I want a Programmerer
 >> Ingebrigtsen T-shirt. With lots of big Norwegian words on it.
 >> Please consider.

 Lars> I don't think you want to trust me to not put embarrasing words
 Lars> in there someweher.

What, like "let me fondle your lucious newsfroups" in Norwegian?

So print it on underwear. If people wear things that have "Tommy
Hilfiger" on them underneath normal stuff, why not "Programmer
Ingebrigtsen"? PI could be a major fashion outlet.

Clothes must be made.

	Robbe

--
Robert Bihlmeyer	reads: Deutsch, English, MIME, Latin-1, NO SPAM!
<robbe@orcus.priv.at>	<http://stud2.tuwien.ac.at/~e9426626/sig.html>

* Re: Me, the businessperson
       [not found]                       ` <6f90sl6cr5.fsf@bavur.dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-01-13 15:59                         ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 1998-01-13 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
>> This message has been brought to you on behalf of the "Scandinavian
>> Tax Pride Week".

Kurt> Are you sure about this?  Last I'd heard, Sweden had the highest
Kurt> total taxation (government budget income as a percentage of
Kurt> BNP).

No Per is right, the stupid Danish government keeps this going. They
claimed to have lowered the taxes but it was just a scam as they
raised what is known as the `brutto' tax with the same
percentage. This tax actually hits harder because its taken before you
can apply any of the tax deductible items.

Oh and now some politicians started saying that the only place where
they haven't applied environmental taxes are on cars so the car owners
will have to pay next time. Oh yeah, Denmark has 180% tax on cars
already ... beat that! (but of course this is not an environmental tax
but rather a `jealousy' tax).

Jes

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13 16:02                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-13 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Bihlmeyer <e9426626@stud2.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

>  Lars> I don't think you want to trust me to not put embarrasing words
>  Lars> in there someweher.
>
> What, like "let me fondle your lucious newsfroups" in Norwegian?

You wish!  Instead it'll be something really embarrasing -- like "My
other t-shirt is a Microsoft Developer Team t-shirt" in Norwegian.
("Den andre t-skjorta mi er ei Lillemykutviklerskjorte.")

You don't want the pain.

> So print it on underwear. If people wear things that have "Tommy
> Hilfiger" on them underneath normal stuff, why not "Programmer
> Ingebrigtsen"? PI could be a major fashion outlet.

This in an idea whose time definitely hasn't come.  :-)

> Clothes must be made.

Yup.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13 16:14                     ` Kai Grossjohann
                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-01-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Lars> You wish!  Instead it'll be something really embarrasing -- like "My
  Lars> other t-shirt is a Microsoft Developer Team t-shirt" in Norwegian.
  Lars> ("Den andre t-skjorta mi er ei Lillemykutviklerskjorte.")

I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
"Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
"developer"?  But what about the rest?

And the string Microsoft doesn't appear in there.  Hm.  Maybe "lille"
is "small" and there is "soft" somewhere in there?  Hmmm...

kai "Microsoft in German is `Winzweich'"
--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13 16:28                       ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-13 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
> "Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
> "developer"?

No, "vikler" is Norwegian for "veloper"

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13 16:33                       ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-01-13 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
> I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
> "Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
> "developer"?  But what about the rest?
>
> And the string Microsoft doesn't appear in there.  Hm.  Maybe "lille"
> is "small" and there is "soft" somewhere in there?  Hmmm...

myk is soft, so developer is utvikler.
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, ikke lilleblødudvikler, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-13 16:39                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-01-13 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
> "Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
> "developer"?  But what about the rest?

"Utvikler" is "developer".

> And the string Microsoft doesn't appear in there.  Hm.  Maybe "lille"
> is "small" and there is "soft" somewhere in there?  Hmmm...

"Myk".  Should probably have been "mjuk".
"Lillemjukutviklerskjorte".  Or "Litlemjukutviklarskjorte".  Languages
that are kinda agglutinative are fun!  (And Norwegians have two to
choose from.)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-14  8:21                         ` Tore Olsen
                                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tore Olsen @ 1998-01-14  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
> > I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
> > "Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
> > "developer"?  But what about the rest?
>
> "Utvikler" is "developer".
>
> > And the string Microsoft doesn't appear in there.  Hm.  Maybe "lille"
> > is "small" and there is "soft" somewhere in there?  Hmmm...
>
> "Myk".  Should probably have been "mjuk".
> "Lillemjukutviklerskjorte".  Or "Litlemjukutviklarskjorte".  Languages
> that are kinda agglutinative are fun!  (And Norwegians have two to
> choose from.)

Vetlemjukutviklartrøye sounds even better (or worse).

Perhaps make a "Eg er ein vetlemjukutviklar" t-skjorte?

-Toreo (Well, I _had_ to reply, didn't I?)
--
Oy!

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-14  9:08                         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-14  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>> I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
>> "Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
>> "developer"?

> No, "vikler" is Norwegian for "veloper"

LOL! (I was trying to think of something along these lines)

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-14  9:11                         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-14  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>> I don't know Norwegian at all, but I tried to parse this anyway:
>> "Lillemykutviklerskjorte":  "skjorte" must be "shirt", "vikler" is
>> "developer"?  But what about the rest?

> "Utvikler" is "developer".

>> And the string Microsoft doesn't appear in there.  Hm.  Maybe "lille"
>> is "small" and there is "soft" somewhere in there?  Hmmm...

> "Myk".  Should probably have been "mjuk".
> "Lillemjukutviklerskjorte".  Or "Litlemjukutviklarskjorte".

"Veslemjukutviklerskjorte"

> Languages that are kinda agglutinative are fun!  (And Norwegians
> have two to choose from.)

No we don't.  We have two written norms for one language, which in
turn is divided into a myriad of dialects.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-14  9:15                           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-01-14  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Oh and now some politicians started saying that the only place where
> they haven't applied environmental taxes are on cars so the car owners
> will have to pay next time. Oh yeah, Denmark has 180% tax on cars
> already ... beat that! (but of course this is not an environmental tax
> but rather a `jealousy' tax).

Probably not.  It probably has the same roots as the previous
Norwegian car tax, a tariff introduced in the post-WWII rebuild, to
keep money from leaving the country.

Then it became a necessary part of the government's revenue, and
couldn't be changed without increasing the taxation in other areas.

The Norwegian car tax is still high, but some cars dropped NOK100000
overnight.

(But we digress)

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-14  9:19                         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-01-14  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> [...] Languages that are kinda agglutinative are fun!  (And
  Lars> Norwegians have two to choose from.) [...]

Hm?  Two?  So Norwegian isn't just Norwegian?  I didn't know that.

kai
--
Kai Grossjohann, Informatik VI        grossjohann@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Uni Dortmund, D-44221 Dortmund        http://ls6-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/
                                      Vox +49 231 755 5670, Fax -2405
OOA: object oriented analysis         OOD: object oriented design
OOP: object oriented programming      OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Tax (was: Re: Me, the businessperson)
@ 1998-01-14  9:54                           ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-01-14  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> writes:

> No Per is right, the stupid Danish government keeps this going.

Jes, Jes, Jes, no! no! no!

You have totally misunderstood the spirit behind the Scandinavian Tax
Pride Week!  I think you have been a (government paid) tax refugee for
too long.  Think about how disappointed the Queen would be if she
would read what you wrote.  And we don't want to disappoint the Queen,
do we?  Some attitude recalibration will be necessary on your return,
if you are ever going to be a well adjusted and harmonic citizen.
Luckily, we have a government sponsored program for exactly that.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
                                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-01-14 16:28                         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hmm...  You know you could make slogans in multiple languages...  say,
one word per language, grammar from a final?  That would reflect the
fact that gnus works in so many (ok, it doesn't have much to do with
gnus, but you could take the credit from Emacs).

--

@ 1998-01-14 16:28                   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-01-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> (programmerer
Lars> Ingebrigtsen)

(of (programmerer Ingebrigtsen) Gnus)

??

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

--JAA01378.884800645/des.castles.com--

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-01-16 21:38                     ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1998-01-16 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Oh, Gnus?  I've already sold that to Microsoft.  They're not really
> interested in it; they just want to use their ownership to challenge
> the validity of the GNU copyright in general to be able to take over
> Linux.

I've read this thread four times now & I still can't decide if it's serious...

That's scary! :)

--
Stephen
---

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-02 18:42                           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-02 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   Lars> [...] Languages that are kinda agglutinative are fun!  (And
>   Lars> Norwegians have two to choose from.) [...]
>
> Hm?  Two?  So Norwegian isn't just Norwegian?  I didn't know that.

We have two (official) written Norwegian languages.  It's fun.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04  9:05                             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-04  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
Lars> [...] Languages that are kinda agglutinative are fun!  (And
Lars> Norwegians have two to choose from.) [...]
>> Hm?  Two?  So Norwegian isn't just Norwegian?  I didn't know that.

> We have two (official) written Norwegian languages.  It's fun.

They aren't languages in the linguistic sense.  They are different
written standards for one language (with many dialects).

Blame nationalistic fervor vs. conservatism after shaking off first
our Danish colonial masters in 1814, and then our new Swedish colonial
masters in 1905.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04  9:15                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]                                 ` <6fn2g74snl.fsf@bavur.dna.lth.se>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > We have two (official) written Norwegian languages.  It's fun.
>
> They aren't languages in the linguistic sense.

They are different written languages, in the linguistic sense, just as
Swedish and Danish are different written languages.

@ 1998-02-04  9:20                                 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
       [not found]                                 ` <6fn2g74snl.fsf@bavur.dna.lth.se>
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-02-04  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> They are different written languages, in the linguistic sense, just as
> Swedish and Danish are different written languages.

Are you implying that Swedish and Danish aren't different spoken
languages?  Just dialects?  Huh?  Huh?

;-)
--

@ 1998-02-04 11:07                                   ` Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren
From: Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren @ 1998-02-04 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Kurt Swanson]

| See for example, The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language, David
| Crystal, ed.

language, n: a dialect with an army.

--

       Rolf Lindgren           |       "The opinions expressed above are
       Sofienberggt. 13b       |        not necessarily those of anyone"

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04 12:21                               ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1998-02-04 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> wrote:

| Blame nationalistic fervor vs. conservatism after shaking off first
| our Danish colonial masters in 1814, and then our new Swedish colonial
| masters in 1905.

And now the Swedish and Norwegian Telephone companies seems to do some
kind of merge..

	/andy

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04 13:21                                 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1998-02-04 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 346 bytes --]

Andy Eskilsson <andy.eskilsson@telelogic.se> writes:

> And now the Swedish and Norwegian Telephone companies seems to do some
> kind of merge..

Stupid.  Sell the worthless old state monopolies to the 'mericans.
They are so naïve they are willing to pay for them.

[ Someone remind me, is this the Gnus mailing list, or soc.culture.nordic? ]

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04 16:05                                   ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 1998-02-04 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
>>"Per" == Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

Per> Andy Eskilsson <andy.eskilsson@telelogic.se> writes:
>> And now the Swedish and Norwegian Telephone companies seems to do
>> some kind of merge..

Per> Stupid.  Sell the worthless old state monopolies to the
Per> 'mericans. They are so naove they are willing to pay for them.

	What with deregulation and all, we have way to many new one
 burgeoning all over the place anyway.

Per> [ Someone remind me, is this the Gnus mailing list, or
Per> soc.culture.nordic? ]

	But this is most edifying to us non-nordic folk ;-)

	manoj

--
 Brain off-line, please wait.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04 17:42                                     ` Johan Danielsson
From: Johan Danielsson @ 1998-02-04 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kurt Swanson, ding

Nils Goesche <ngo@wossolit.teles.de> writes:

> I once met a Dane who claimed not being able to understand someone
> from northern Danemark.

Even if people speak the same language, they won't necessarily
understand each other. I have a hard time to understand some kinds of
Scanian (which is a southern province of Sweden, for all you
foreigners).

> How about German? Do scandinavians understand it without first
> learning it?

Not really. Many words has been imported from German, but that
happened many centuries ago, and both modern German and Swedish must
have drifted away from that. Supposedly, some [Swedish] dialects are
more similar to German, so that people can actually understand each
other.

However, until about 50 or so years ago, German was a quite `popular'
second language, and most people that did go to school studied it. You
figure out why that changed. :-) Based on personal experience, I would
guess that there's a 70/30 ratio between German/French as third
language.

Now, is this a theme for some mugs perhaps?

/Johan

* Re: Me, the businessperson
       [not found]                                 ` <6fn2g74snl.fsf@bavur.dna.lth.se>
@ 1998-02-04 18:43                                   ` Stephen Zander
From: Stephen Zander @ 1998-02-04 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt Swanson <ksw@dna.lth.se> writes:
> This is the classic example linguists cite in the literature.
> Swedish, Danish and the 73 different Norwegians are lignuistically all
> dialects of one of two Scandinavian languages (the other being
> Icelandic-Faeroe).  Many things which are commonly called a single
> language are not mutually intelligible (Chinese languages are often
> simply called "Chinese") whereas the Eastern Scandinavian languages
> are mutually intelligible to a very high degree.  The other day three
> Swedes, two Danes, a Norwegian and I had no trouble conversing around
> the coffee table.

Isn't English wonderful! :)))

--
Stephen
---
"Normality is a statistical illusion." -- me

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04 21:13                                       ` Bud Rogers
                                                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Bud Rogers @ 1998-02-04 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:

> Even if people speak the same language, they won't necessarily
> understand each other. I have a hard time to understand some kinds of
> Scanian (which is a southern province of Sweden, for all you
> foreigners).

I realize this is totally off-topic for the list, but it is also
totally fascinating.  If I may.

Oklahoma is kind of a microcosm of the USA.  It's a fairly young state
and many families are only 2 or 3 generations away from their roots in
"the old country."

My ancestry is mostly Irish and English.  One of our neighbors is of
German ancestry and grew up in a mostly German community.  A couple of
years ago our neighbor helped us build a house for my father.  We had
many horrendous arguments about how to do things until we realized we
were mostly arguing about language.  Even though we were both using
English, we were almost speaking two different languages.

> Now, is this a theme for some mugs perhaps?

How about sayings like "I love gnus" or "GNUS RULES!" in many
different languages?  A fitting indicator of the international
character of gnus.  I would love to have a mug like that.

Sorry for the diversion.  Language is my one weakness.

--

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net>

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-04 23:34                                         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-02-04 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Johan Danielsson, ding

BR> Sorry for the diversion.  Language is my one weakness.

For Lars' benefit mainly:  "Language, is a virus!"

--

@ 1998-02-05  0:13                                   ` Nils Goesche
From: Nils Goesche @ 1998-02-05  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kurt Swanson <ksw@dna.lth.se> writes:

> are mutually intelligible to a very high degree.  The other day three
> Swedes, two Danes, a Norwegian and I had no trouble conversing around
> the coffee table.

I once met a Dane who claimed not being able to understand someone from
northern Danemark. I wonder if you spoke English around that table ? :)
How about German? Do scandinavians understand it without first learning it?

--
Nils Goesche
My obscure opinions are my very own.

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-05  8:17                                         ` Jan Vroonhof
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-02-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net> writes:

> years ago our neighbor helped us build a house for my father.  We had
> many horrendous arguments about how to do things until we realized we
> were mostly arguing about language.  Even though we were both using
> English, we were almost speaking two different languages.

Some sources (OK, one) say that language differences where invented
especially to prevent sucsessfull completion of buildings, so this is
not at all surprising :-).

Jan

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-05  8:17                                   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-05  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> [ Someone remind me, is this the Gnus mailing list, or
> soc.culture.nordic? ]

*Hey*! Are someone using non-metric units here...?

* nnimap once more (Was: Me, the businessperson)
@ 1998-02-05 12:51                                     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-02-05 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> "Per" == Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

Per> [ Someone remind me, is this the Gnus mailing list, or
Per> soc.culture.nordic? ]

> But this is most edifying to us non-nordic folk ;-)

Personally I'd prefer it if we were discussing the nnimap
backend... but only Justin Sheedy and myself seems to be interested in
that and none of us has enough incentive to dig into it.

Hm... doesn't someone elisp-savvy on the list own a PalmPilot?
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to access the same mail folders from
Gnus and that handy little gadget...? ;-)
	<URL:http://www.actualsoft.com/MMPro.htm>

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-05 18:22                                     ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1998-02-05 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > [ Someone remind me, is this the Gnus mailing list, or
> > soc.culture.nordic? ]
>
> *Hey*! Are someone using non-metric units here...?

Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile...

--

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net>

* Re: Me, the businessperson
@ 1998-02-08 16:03                                         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-02-08 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bud Rogers <budr@tanet.net> writes:

> We had many horrendous arguments about how to do things until we
> realized we were mostly arguing about language.  Even though we were
> both using English, we were almost speaking two different languages.

"Why is lenguage Ignatz?"

"Language is, that we may understand one another.»

«Is 'that so?»

«Yes.  That's so.»

«Can you unda-stend a Finn or a Leplender or a Oshkosher, huh?»

«No-»

«Can a Finn, or a Leplender, or a Oshkosher unda-stend you?»

«No.»

«Then, I would say lenguage is that we may mis-unda-stand each udda.»

-- George Herriman

* Re: nnimap once more (Was: Me, the businessperson)
@ 1998-02-23 22:43                                       ` Anders Jackson
From: Anders Jackson @ 1998-02-23 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Steinar> Hm... doesn't someone elisp-savvy on the list own a
    Steinar> PalmPilot? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to access the
    Steinar> same mail folders from Gnus and that handy little
    Steinar> gadget...? ;-) <URL:http://www.actualsoft.com/MMPro.htm>

I have one in my palm. It's a good litle thing. Yes, I would like to
have something syncing it with my computer. But I dont know if I will
try to write something in elisp or in Java...

/Jackson