* Re: help with spam.el
       [not found]   ` <kfvfy963bf.fsf@shaoz.activesky.com.au>
@ 2003-03-24 16:31     ` Ted Zlatanov
       [not found]       ` <kfptoflzbj.fsf@shaoz.activesky.com.au>
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-03-24 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, shaoz@activesky.com wrote:
> 1) according to documentation, all articles in spam group are
>    considered to be spam and they get the $ mark when entering the
>    group. I have set both spam-junk-groups and
>    gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents to nnfolder+archive:spam. But when
>    entering group, all articles are marked with E, is this the right
>    behaviour?

In the spam group, *new* articles will have the spam mark.  You are
transferring spam articles from another group automatically to the
spam group, so they are automatically expired already (since they were
spam-processed in the original group).  Otherwise, they would get
processed as spam twice, which would be a bad thing.

Generally, the spam mark is something an article will only see once
briefly, before it's processed as spam and marked as expired.

> 2) So far, I have to mark every spam message manually. My spam group
>    has already over 300 messages. But I have not got any marked
>    automatically by gnus yet, am I missing another step or config?

I'm not sure what you mean by "automatically."  What do you expect to
happen, and what happens instead?

You had this last time:
 '(gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents (quote (("spam" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam) ("~/Mail/inbox" gnus-group-spam-classification-ham))))
 '(gnus-spam-process-destinations (quote (("nnimap*" "spam"))))
 '(gnus-spam-process-newsgroups (quote (("spam" (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-ifile)) ("nnimap*" (gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-ifile)))))
 '(spam-junk-mailgroups (quote ("spam")))
 '(spam-use-ifile t))

Looking at your settings, you have unqualified group names for almost
all the spam.el parameters - make sure you use ".*spam" if you want
to match all folders that end with "spam", for instance.  Also,
"nnimap*" means "'nnima' followed by 0 or more letters 'p'," which is
almost certainly not what you meant - you want "nnimap.*" I think.

I'm still somewhat cautious about a folder called "~/Mail/inbox" by
the way.  Are you sure that's correct?

If you have trouble setting the regular expressions you need, you can
try using `G c' on a topic (if you use topics and have all your
related groups under the same topic), or `G c' on a particular group
in order to experiment with particular settings for spam/ham exit
processors and contents classification.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: help with spam.el
       [not found]         ` <4nvfy6850a.fsf@lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu>
@ 2003-03-26 23:30           ` Shao Zhang
       [not found]             ` <4nu1do4sb6.fsf@lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu>
From: Shao Zhang @ 2003-03-26 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On [Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:30:29 -0500], Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
>> I expect that spams in my IMAP folder will be automatically marked
>> as spam and transfered to the spam group upon exit the summary
>> buffer. I will need to occasionally mark/unmark the wrongly guessed
>> ones.
>
> spam.el does not mark *incoming* messages as spam.  If you set the
> contents parameter of a folder to be spam, then new mail in that
> folder will be marked as spam automatically.  The idea is that
> spam-split will put spam messages in a spam folder, where the new
> messages will be automatically marked with the spam-mark.

Right. Then my problem is spam-split. The spam messages in my nnimap
folders are not split out to the spam folders at all.

> Also, you need to train spam detection at first.  If you have a lot of
> spam stored somewhere, you can train ifile on that spam from the
> command line (using category "spam" to indicate the spam contents, as
> spam.el does).

Does the current spam.el do this if the group is classified as spam
groups? Or do I need to run it manually?

> I would not recommend making your inbox a spam folder (I think that's
> what you are implying above).  Mail in the inbox that's spam has to be
> manually marked as spam (because spam-split failed to classify it
> automatically) and then when you exit the inbox that manually marked
> spam will be spam-processed (for instance, with bogofilter - the spam
> processor you have set is used) and transferred to whatever you have
> set for the spam-process-destination.

Agreed. As mentioned above, I am not getting any spam msgs split into my
spam folders.

>> Not at all, I am very confused as well. I have two imap servers, all
>> my emails are in ~/Mail for both server, so I have
>> nnimap+work:~/Mail/inbox and nnimap+private:~/Mail/inbox. According
>> to the manual, nnimap-list-pattern accepts ~/Mail/*.
>
> I've never used such folder names, personally, but if it works for you
> that's great.

I don't like the ~ stuff at all. I wonder what other folders you can
have? I see the manual using INBOX as examples, what does that mean?

>> I think my split rule is definitely wrong, and that maybe why my
>> mails from nnimap folder are not moved to the spam group:
>>
> (require 'spam)
> (setq nnimap-split-download-body t)
> (setq nnimap-split-rule '(("private" (".*" nnimap-split-fancy))
>                           ("work" (".*" nnimap-split-fancy)))
>       nnimap-split-inbox (quote ("nnimap+private:~/Mail/inbox" "nnimap+work:~/Mail/inbox"))
>       nnimap-split-fancy '(|
>                            (: spam-split)))

Regards,

Shao.

@ 2003-03-28  3:43           ` Shao Zhang
From: Shao Zhang @ 2003-03-28  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On [Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:30:29 -0500], Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> '(spam-use-ifile t))
>
> This means that ifile will be used on your incoming mail (when
> spam-split is run), and the messages detected to be spam will go to
> the spam-split-group in the appropriate place.  So if you are splitting
> from a nnimap server xyz, the spam will go to "nnimap+xyz:spam" (the
> value of spam-split-group is "spam" by default).

This is actually my problem indeed. I complained before that spam-split
did not run at all, it actually did. I only found out after I notices I
have lost a few emails :(

I have set my spam-split-group to nnfolder+archive:spam. The spam-split
didn't end up putting them in my local folder, but in
nnimap+abc:nnfolder+archive:spam and nnimap+xyz:nnfolder+archive:spam
respectively.

Is it possible to split them into a local folder? Is this a limitation
of spam.el or nnimap fancy split?

Regards,

Shao.

* Re: help with spam.el
       [not found]             ` <4nu1do4sb6.fsf@lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu>
@ 2003-03-28  3:54               ` Shao Zhang
From: Shao Zhang @ 2003-03-28  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On [Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:45:17 -0500], Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> That's probably because you have not trained ifile yet!  Try
> spam-use-blackholes for instance, you can use it in addition to
> spam-use-ifile and it will catch quite a lot of spam.

Please see my reply to an earlier article in this thread. My problem is
that I set the spam-split-group to be nnfolder+archive:spam which turns
out to be nnimap+xyz:nnfolder+archive:spam

I am now almost there, except a few small problems.
Here is my latest config:

'(gnus-ham-process-destinations (quote ((".*spam" "nnimap:~/Mail/inbox"))))
'(gnus-spam-newsgroup-contents (quote ((".*spam" gnus-group-spam-classification-spam) (".*inbox" gnus-group-spam-classification-ham))))
'(gnus-spam-process-destinations (quote (("nnimap.*" "nnfolder+archive:spam"))))
'(gnus-spam-process-newsgroups (quote ((".*" (gnus-group-spam-exit-processor-ifile gnus-group-ham-exit-processor-ifile)))))
'(spam-ifile-ham-category "ham")
'(spam-junk-mailgroups (quote ("nnfolder+archive:spam")))
'(spam-mark-ham-unread-before-move-from-spam-group nil)
'(spam-split-group "~/Mail/spam")
'(spam-use-ifile t))

my problem 1:

nnimap+private:~/Mail/inbox is spam split into nnimap+private:~/Mail/spam
nnimap:work:~/Mail/inbox is spam split into nnimap+work:~/Mail/spam
Manually marked articles are processed into nnfolder+archive:spam

I would like to have all these spams end up in one folder only. I cannot
find a way to specify that at the moment.

my problem 2:

Sometimes, spam split wrongly puts some hams in ~/Mail/spam. I tried to
mark the article as unread, but it still does not transfer the article
back to ~/Mail/inbox given I have set the ham-process-destinations.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Shao.

* Re: help with spam.el
@ 2003-04-07 20:00                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-04-07 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, shaoz@activesky.com wrote:
> Please see my reply to an earlier article in this thread. My problem
> is that I set the spam-split-group to be nnfolder+archive:spam which
> turns out to be nnimap+xyz:nnfolder+archive:spam

There is no way to do this in Gnus, as far as I know.  The feature
should be possible, though - I suggest making a separate post with the
request, as it's not directly related to spam.el.

> my problem 1:
>
> nnimap+private:~/Mail/inbox is spam split into
> nnimap+private:~/Mail/spam nnimap:work:~/Mail/inbox is spam split
> into nnimap+work:~/Mail/spam Manually marked articles are processed
> into nnfolder+archive:spam
>
> I would like to have all these spams end up in one folder only. I
> cannot find a way to specify that at the moment.

As above, I don't know of a way to do this.  You could use nnkiboze or
nnvirtual to merge several groups into one virtual group.

> my problem 2:
>
> Sometimes, spam split wrongly puts some hams in ~/Mail/spam. I tried
> to mark the article as unread, but it still does not transfer the
> article back to ~/Mail/inbox given I have set the
> ham-process-destinations.

Just to check, what does

(spam-group-spam-contents-p "nnimap+private:~/Mail/spam") say?

ham-process-destination only works in spam groups, but it seems that
you have it set up correctly from what you posted.  If that returns
t, you'll have to trace through spam-summary-prepare-exit and see if
spam-ham-move-routine is getting invoked properly.

Thanks
Ted