* ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-19  4:54 Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-19  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to get the SciTE lexers that come with the ConTeXt
distribution working but I'm not having much luck. SciTE certainly
processes the ConTeXt start-up script but never does any highlighting.

I always get the warning that lpeg is not loaded but I cannot find any
separate lpeg.properties file or lpeg.lua file so I don't know how to
get it imported and active to run the lexers. Any suggestions?

Interestingly, the lexers work just fine in Textadept but I haven't
quite figured out how to get them to load automatically. I have to
manually select the lexer but it works fine once I do.

I'm inclined to go the Textadept route and build a nice snippets file
and Adeptsense support but I'd like to see things running in SciTE, too.

Right now I'm using Emacs to do my editing but AUCTeX does a poor job of
supporting ConTeXt and when I asked about future plans on the AUCTeX
mailing list, I got a snarky, sarcastic reply that "code doesn't change
itself." Typical FSF attitude, I see. If I'm going to have to write my
own support, Lua is much closer to the languages I've used before than
elisp so it should be considerably easier.

Of course, I'll pass on anything I come up with to the ConTeXt community.

--
Bill Meahan K8QN

"The pessimist complains about the wind;
  the optimist expects it to change;
  the realist adjusts the sails."

-- William Arthur Ward

This message is digitally signed with an X.509 certificate
to prove it is from me and has not been altered since it was sent.

[-- Attachment #1.2: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature --]

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-19  8:58 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-19  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-6-2012 06:54, Bill Meahan wrote:
> I'm trying to get the SciTE lexers that come with the ConTeXt
> distribution working but I'm not having much luck. SciTE certainly
> processes the ConTeXt start-up script but never does any highlighting.
>
> I always get the warning that lpeg is not loaded but I cannot find any
> separate lpeg.properties file or lpeg.lua file so I don't know how to
> get it imported and active to run the lexers. Any suggestions?
>
> Interestingly, the lexers work just fine in Textadept but I haven't
> quite figured out how to get them to load automatically. I have to
> manually select the lexer but it works fine once I do.
>
> I'm inclined to go the Textadept route and build a nice snippets file
> and Adeptsense support but I'd like to see things running in SciTE, too.

You have to change some configuration files but as that situation seems
to change every now and then I wait with providing extra files for
textadept till it's more stable.

(Textadept has no realtime log pane so I cannot use it here without
sacrificing too much convenience.)

> Right now I'm using Emacs to do my editing but AUCTeX does a poor job of
> supporting ConTeXt and when I asked about future plans on the AUCTeX
> mailing list, I got a snarky, sarcastic reply that "code doesn't change
> itself." Typical FSF attitude, I see. If I'm going to have to write my
> own support, Lua is much closer to the languages I've used before than
> elisp so it should be considerably easier.
>
> Of course, I'll pass on anything I come up with to the ConTeXt community.

concerning scite ... on windows it boils down to

- installing scite
- copying the scintillua lexer dir to the wscite path
- copying the context/data/scite directory to teh wscite dir

on linux it's a bit more complex as you need to figure out where scite
keeps its properties files and that's sort of hard coded in the binary

(but it does work on linux)

on osx it's not working as there is no lpeg support provided there
(unfortunately)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-19 16:48   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/19/2012 04:58, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 19-6-2012 06:54, Bill Meahan wrote:

> (Textadept has no realtime log pane so I cannot use it here without
> sacrificing too much convenience.)

Might be fixable, at least on *nix system. Textadept 5.4 does allow
running processes in a subshell. I'll have to investigate a bit.

> on linux it's a bit more complex as you need to figure out where scite
> keeps its properties files and that's sort of hard coded in the binary
>
> (but it does work on linux)

Finding the properties files is pretty easy (/usr/local/share/scite/),
Not sure where to put the lexers directory, though. I changed
ScITEGlobal.properties per the instructions. There is no lpeg.properties
file, nothing I've found (so far) in the global file to enable lpeg
support. Took a scan of the source code and didn't see anything
blindingly obvious. I'll keep searching.

> on osx it's not working as there is no lpeg support provided there
> (unfortunately)

I'm on a FreeBSD-9.0 system. Since OSX is based on FreeBSD perhaps it is
really there but it will take whatever I find out to make it active.

I'll let everyone know what I find. Thanks for the response.

--

@ 2012-06-19 17:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-19 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-6-2012 18:48, Bill Meahan wrote:

> Finding the properties files is pretty easy (/usr/local/share/scite/),
> Not sure where to put the lexers directory, though. I changed
> ScITEGlobal.properties per the instructions. There is no lpeg.properties
> file, nothing I've found (so far) in the global file to enable lpeg
> support. Took a scan of the source code and didn't see anything
> blindingly obvious. I'll keep searching.

you need to fetch it from

http://foicica.com/scintillua/

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-19 20:17       ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-19 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/19/2012 13:28, Hans Hagen wrote:

> you need to fetch it from
>
> http://foicica.com/scintillua/

I ended up installing the complete scintillua package and now everything
works just fine. Had to modify the scintillua Makefile every place where
there was a bare scintilla/<something> or scite/<something> to
/usr/ports/editors/scite/work/scintilla/<something> or
/usr/ports/editors/scite/work/scite/<something> but that was all.

If you wish, you can add FreeBSD-9.0 as a platform it works on.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now on to configuring Textadept to have
Emacs-style keybindings, starting the ConTeXt lexers automatically,
creating a snippets file and seeing if I can get a real-time output
buffer going.

--

@ 2012-06-19 20:43         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-19 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-6-2012 22:17, Bill Meahan wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 13:28, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> you need to fetch it from
>>
>> http://foicica.com/scintillua/
>>

> I ended up installing the complete scintillua package and now everything
> works just fine. Had to modify the scintillua Makefile every place where
> there was a bare scintilla/<something> or scite/<something> to
> /usr/ports/editors/scite/work/scintilla/<something> or
> /usr/ports/editors/scite/work/scite/<something> but that was all.
>
> If you wish, you can add FreeBSD-9.0 as a platform it works on.

maybe we should have a repository in the garden

anyhow, you can edit some info to the scit epage on the wiki

> Thanks for the suggestion. Now on to configuring Textadept to have
> Emacs-style keybindings, starting the ConTeXt lexers automatically,
> creating a snippets file and seeing if I can get a real-time output
> buffer going.

and you can give spell checking a try (you can use mtxrun --script
--scite to convert a list with words into one suitable for the context
lexers)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-19 21:27           ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-19 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/19/2012 16:43, Hans Hagen wrote:

> and you can give spell checking a try (you can use mtxrun --script
> --scite to convert a list with words into one suitable for the context
> lexers)
>
> Hans

There is a little module in "Brian's ~/.textadept file" on the Textadept
wiki that uses aspell to do spell-checking. I'm going to give that a
try. I can also try using SCOWL plus the method you describe, SCOWL is
the word-list from which aspell, ispell and hunspell dictionaries are built.

--

@ 2012-06-19 21:57             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-19 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19-6-2012 23:27, Bill Meahan wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 16:43, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>> and you can give spell checking a try (you can use mtxrun --script
>> --scite to convert a list with words into one suitable for the context
>> lexers)
>>
>> Hans
>
> There is a little module in "Brian's ~/.textadept file" on the Textadept
> wiki that uses aspell to do spell-checking. I'm going to give that a
> try. I can also try using SCOWL plus the method you describe, SCOWL is
> the word-list from which aspell, ispell and hunspell dictionaries are
> built.

fyi: the context lexers do realtime checking in combination with regular
lexing

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-20  3:04   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-20  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/19/2012 04:58, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Interestingly, the lexers work just fine in Textadept but I haven't
>> quite figured out how to get them to load automatically. I have to
>> manually select the lexer but it works fine once I do.

Turns out they don't work as well as I thought they did. To start the
context lexers automatically, it is only necessary to configure the
mime_types.conf file to associate the .tex extension with the desired
lexer. When I do that, however, Textadept suddenly stops displaying
anything in the buffer! Even if you load something other than a .tex
file. :-(

> You have to change some configuration files but as that situation seems
> to change every now and then I wait with providing extra files for
> textadept till it's more stable.
>
> (Textadept has no realtime log pane so I cannot use it here without
> sacrificing too much convenience.)

Have you looked at the "run" documentation? It appears from that output
from whatever command is run is directed to a new buffer in real-time.
That's what emacs does.

Anybody got a ctags file for ConTeXt?  :-)

--

@ 2012-06-20 14:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-20 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-6-2012 05:04, Bill Meahan wrote:

> Anybody got a ctags file for ConTeXt?  :-)

what are ctags

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-20 14:46       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-06-20 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 20-6-2012 05:04, Bill Meahan wrote:
>
>> Anybody got a ctags file for ConTeXt?  :-)
>

> what are ctags

CTAGS(1)
                                     Exuberant Ctags

          CTAGS(1)

NAME
       ctags - Generate tag files for source code

SYNOPSIS
       ctags [options] [file(s)]

       etags [options] [file(s)]

DESCRIPTION
       The ctags and etags programs (hereinafter collectively referred
to as ctags, except where distinguished) generate an index (or "tag")
file for a variety of language objects found in file(s).  This tag
file allows these items
       to be quickly and easily located by a text editor or other
utility. A "tag" signifies a language object for which an index entry
is available (or, alternatively, the index entry created for that
object).

       Alternatively, ctags can generate a cross reference file which
lists, in human readable form, information about the various source
objects found in a set of language files.

       Tag index files are supported by numerous editors, which allow
the user to locate the object associated with a name appearing in a
source file and jump to the file and line which defines the name.
Those known  about  at  the
       time of this release are:

           Vi(1) and its derivatives (e.g. Elvis, Vim, Vile, Lemmy),
CRiSP, Emacs, FTE (Folding Text Editor), JED, jEdit, Mined, NEdit
(Nirvana Edit), TSE (The SemWare Editor), UltraEdit, WorkSpace, X2,
Zeus

       Ctags  is  capable of generating different kinds of tags for
each of many different languages. For a complete list of supported
languages, the names by which they are recognized, and the kinds of
tags which are generated for
       each, see the --list-languages and --list-kinds options.

--
luigi

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-20 15:24       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-06-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 20-6-2012 05:04, Bill Meahan wrote:
>
>> Anybody got a ctags file for ConTeXt?  :-)
>
> what are ctags

They allow you to jump around to specific locations in a file.

For example, in vim, pressing CTRL+] on "\in[sec:first]"  will jump to the
location where sec:first is defined. Basically, a ctags file contains tag
and the file name and line number where those tags are defined. The editor
then reads the ctags file and jumps to the appropriate location.

A few years back, I had written a MkII module that generated ctags file
when a tex file was compiled (attached). It was a hack that redefined a
few low level macros.

To provide proper support for ctags, we also need to store the current
filename and line number for each reference in the tuc file. Then a module
can read the tuc file and write the ctags file in an appropriate format.

Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/x-tex, Size: 5969 bytes --]

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-20 16:11         ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/20/2012 11:24, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 20-6-2012 05:04, Bill Meahan wrote:
>>
>>> Anybody got a ctags file for ConTeXt? :-)
>>
>> what are ctags
>
> They allow you to jump around to specific locations in a file.

SciTE also uses them to generate auto-completion/insertion of language
commands so a ctags file for ConTeXt itself would be useful.

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA

“Writing is a combination of intangible
   creative fantasy and appallingly
   hard work.”

           —Anthony Powell

@ 2012-06-20 16:37               ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-20 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/19/2012 17:57, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 19-6-2012 23:27, Bill Meahan wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 16:43, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>

>>> and you can give spell checking a try (you can use mtxrun --script
>>> --scite to convert a list with words into one suitable for the context
>>> lexers)
>>>
>>> Hans

> fyi: the context lexers do realtime checking in combination with regular
> lexing
>
> Hans

Tried this, ran into problems.

1. Running the command as shown generates a spell-xx.lua file but
complains about a spell-xx.lucluac file not being present.

2. The lexer does not load the spell-xx.lua file but will find the
spell-xx.txt file and try to use that.

3. English words are only found if the 'xx' is 'uk' while 'en' or 'us'
or 'ca' (Canadian) are not found no matter if % language={en | us | ca}
(one choice only, I'm just using shorthand here). uk is one particular
form of English with particular spelling rules (e.g. 'our' instead of
'or' in words like 'honour' &al. There are also some terms proper in UK
English that are not considered proper in US English and vice versa.) If
all variants are not allowed, the generic 'en' ought to be used instead
of 'uk' as it could be confusing to non-UK users. Ozzies and Kiwis may
not mind but Yanks and Canucks do. :-)

4. Every 3-letter word is indicated as misspelled. This may be a
side-effect of using the SCOWL word lists as they only deal with words >
3-letters (except for some acronyms). Hence common words like 'was' or
'who' or 'and' are marked as misspelled.

5. Only the first screen-full of text was color-coded. The rest of my
document did not even have keyword highlighting. Turning off the
spell-checking by removing the 'language=uk' line restored keyword
highlighting throughout the whole file.

SciTE 3.1.0 on FreeBSD-9.0-i386

The wordlist(s) tried were from SCOWL 7.1 at http://wordlist.sourceforge.net
formed by cat en*80 | sort | uniq >spell-uk.txt

Yes, that is a big wordlist but decades of doing crosswords has left me
with a large vocabulary. ;-)

--

@ 2012-06-20 18:02                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-20 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-6-2012 18:37, Bill Meahan wrote:

> 1. Running the command as shown generates a spell-xx.lua file but
> complains about a spell-xx.lucluac file not being present.

luac compiles the lau file into bytecode (luac comes with lua and needs
to match the lua version in scite)

> 2. The lexer does not load the spell-xx.lua file but will find the
> spell-xx.txt file and try to use that.
>
> 3. English words are only found if the 'xx' is 'uk' while 'en' or 'us'
> or 'ca' (Canadian) are not found no matter if % language={en | us | ca}
> (one choice only, I'm just using shorthand here). uk is one particular
> form of English with particular spelling rules (e.g. 'our' instead of
> 'or' in words like 'honour' &al. There are also some terms proper in UK
> English that are not considered proper in US English and vice versa.) If
> all variants are not allowed, the generic 'en' ought to be used instead
> of 'uk' as it could be confusing to non-UK users. Ozzies and Kiwis may
> not mind but Yanks and Canucks do. :-)

hm, do you have spell-ca and spell-en etc files? there is no hard coded
uk check

> 4. Every 3-letter word is indicated as misspelled. This may be a
> side-effect of using the SCOWL word lists as they only deal with words >
> 3-letters (except for some acronyms). Hence common words like 'was' or
> 'who' or 'and' are marked as misspelled.

indeed, internally there is a limit of length 2

i can probably do a check for length i.e. if no 3 character words then
also no checking

> 5. Only the first screen-full of text was color-coded. The rest of my
> document did not even have keyword highlighting. Turning off the
> spell-checking by removing the 'language=uk' line restored keyword
> highlighting throughout the whole file.

weird

> Yes, that is a big wordlist but decades of doing crosswords has left me
> with a large vocabulary. ;-)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-20 18:44                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-20 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-6-2012 20:02, Hans Hagen wrote:

> indeed, internally there is a limit of length 2
>
> i can probably do a check for length i.e. if no 3 character words then
> also no checking

the next version has

return {
  ["max"]=40,
  ["min"]=3,
  ["n"]=151493,
  ["words"]={
   ["aardvark"]="aardvark",
   ["aardvarks"]="aardvarks",

so in your case the 3 would be a 4 and that value is checked when coloring

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt and SciTE
@ 2012-06-20 18:59                     ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-20 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 06/20/2012 14:44, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 20-6-2012 20:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> indeed, internally there is a limit of length 2
>>
>> i can probably do a check for length i.e. if no 3 character words then
>> also no checking
>
> the next version has
>
> return {
> ["max"]=40,
> ["min"]=3,
> ["n"]=151493,
> ["words"]={
> ["aardvark"]="aardvark",
> ["aardvarks"]="aardvarks",
>
> so in your case the 3 would be a 4 and that value is checked when coloring
>
> Hans

Cool! Many thanks.

--

@ 2012-06-20 19:05                   ` Bill Meahan
From: Bill Meahan @ 2012-06-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/20/2012 14:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 20-6-2012 18:37, Bill Meahan wrote:
>
>> 1. Running the command as shown generates a spell-xx.lua file but
>> complains about a spell-xx.lucluac file not being present.
>
> luac compiles the lau file into bytecode (luac comes with lua and needs
> to match the lua version in scite)

I'll have to check the version in scite. I tried manually compiling with
lua 5.1 with no success.

> hm, do you have spell-ca and spell-en etc files? there is no hard coded
> uk check

I only tried it with spell-en.{txt | lua} - error message said no valid
word list loaded. Made a hard link from spell-en.txt to spell-uk.txt and
it found that. I manipulated the line 1 from %  language=en to
%  language=uk to see the difference.

--

@ 2012-06-20 19:32                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-06-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20-6-2012 21:05, Bill Meahan wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 14:02, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 20-6-2012 18:37, Bill Meahan wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Running the command as shown generates a spell-xx.lua file but
>>> complains about a spell-xx.lucluac file not being present.
>>
>> luac compiles the lau file into bytecode (luac comes with lua and needs
>> to match the lua version in scite)
>
> I'll have to check the version in scite. I tried manually compiling with
> lua 5.1 with no success.
>

>> hm, do you have spell-ca and spell-en etc files? there is no hard coded
>> uk check
>
> I only tried it with spell-en.{txt | lua} - error message said no valid
> word list loaded. Made a hard link from spell-en.txt to spell-uk.txt and
> it found that. I manipulated the line 1 from %  language=en to
> %  language=uk to see the difference.

Forget about the txt file .. just the lua file will do (the luc file
loads faster but it's neglectable on an edit session). I uploaded new
scripts that generate a lua fiel with a bit more info and take care of
the 4 char length (hopefully).

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl