The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-10-16 17:52 Clem Cole
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Clem Cole @ 2017-10-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:

> I have a similar and maybe even more extreme position.  When I was a
> manager
> I placed restrictions on the tools and customizations for members of my
> team.
> My goal was to make sure that any team member could go over to any other
> team
> member's desk and get stuff done.

​And I think this loops back to what started some of this threat.  The idea
of a programmer with 'good taste.'
Rob (and Brian) railed on BSD in cat -v considered harmful
<http://harmful.cat-v.org/cat-v/> and ‘*Program Design in the UNIX
Environment*’ (pdf version
<http://harmful.cat-v.org/cat-v/unix_prog_design.pdf>, ps version
<http://harmful.cat-v.org/cat-v/unix_prog_design.ps>) but the points in it
was then and are still now, fresh:  What is it that you need to get the job
done - to me, that is Doug's "Universal Unix" concept.

When I answer questions on quora about learning Linux and other UNIX
derivative, I still point them at their  book:   *The Unix Programming
Environment
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/013937681X?ie=UTF8&tag=catv-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=013937681X>*

I would say, if the can login into the system and complete the exercises in
UPE without having to make changes, you are pretty close to Doug's
"Universal UNIX" environment.  And if you can use the tools, without having
to think about them and they pretty much are what you rely upon everyday,
you are getting close to my ideal of 'good taste.'

Clem
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-10-18 23:03 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-10-18 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>       sed *n l pathname
>
>   The latter also has the advantage that its output is

>   unambiguous, whereas the output of historical cat *etv is not.
>
> But mind you, in preparation of this email i found a bug in
> Busybox sed(1) which simply echoes nothing for the above.

I assume that * is a typo for - . If so, sed did just what
-n tells it to--no printing except as called for by p or P.

And speaking of sed anticipating other tools, the inclusion
of "head" in v7 as a complement to "tail" was a close call
because head is subsumed by sed q.

Doug

* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-10-30 14:16 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-10-30 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Ralph Corderoy

    > Then the real definition, ending in an execution of the empty `q'.
    > qq/4$^Ma2^[@qq

Gah. That reminds me of nothing so much as TECO (may it long Rest in Peace).

     Noel

* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-10-30 21:40 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-10-30 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall

    > I'm glad that I'm not the only one who remembers TECO

Urp. I wish I _didn't_ remember TECO!

"TECO Madness: A moment of convenience, a lifetime of regret." - Dave Moon

(For those who didn't catch the reference, here:

  https://www.gammalyte.com/tag/reefer-madness/

you go.)

      Noel

* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-10-31 19:23 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-10-31 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I too remember TECO.  In my TOPS-10 days I was quite a whiz at it.

Then I encountered UNIX and ed, and never looked back.  Cryptic
programmability is fun, but a simple but well-chosen set of
commands including the g/v pair made me more efficient in the end.

it could just be that ed is a better fit for the shape of my brain.
C struck me similarly.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(Actually in the Bay Area for a few days for LISA, in case any
UNIXtorians want to meet up.)

* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-11-01 22:51 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2017-11-01 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnold:

> OK, that I can understand.  It's ages since I played with
> readline, but I think you can preload the buffer it works on
> (bash does that, no?) so ed + readline could be made to work
> that way.

====

Or, if you have moved beyond the era of simulated glass
teletypes on graphics screens, you could do the editing
in the terminal (program).

It's a real shame the mux/9term way of doing things never
caught on.  I suppose it is because so many people are
wedded to programs that require cursor addressing; I'm
glad I never succumbed to that.

I use ed (or its cousin qed a la Toronto) for simple stuff.
Mostly I'll use the traditional commands, but sometimes
I will, in mux/9term style, print a line with p, type
c, edit the line on the screen, pick it up and send it,
type . return.

And of course I can do that sort of thing with any program,
whether or not it is compiled with some magic library.

All this is something of a matter of taste, but I have
sometimes amazed (in a good way) my colleagues with it.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] basic tools / Universal Unix
@ 2017-11-15 14:06 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-11-15 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Andy Kosela

    > That is why MIT and Bell Labs represented two very different cultures.

Oi! Not _everyone_ at MIT follows the "so complicated that there are no
obvious deficiencies" approach (to quote Hoare's wonderful aphorism from his
'Emperor's Old Clothes' Turing Award Lecture).

My personal design mantra (it's been at the top of my home page for decades)
is something I found as a footnote in Corbato and Saltzer, 'Multics: The First
Seven Years': "In anything at all, perfection has been attained, not when
there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away..."

No doubt some people would be bemused that this should be in a Multics paper,
given the impression people have of Multics as incredibly - overly -
complicated. I'll avoid that discussion for the moment...

I've often tried to understand why some people create these incredibly
complicated systems. (Looking at the voluminous LISP Machine manual set from
Symbolics particularly caused this train of thought...) I think it's because
they are too smart - they can remember all that stuff.

Maybe my brain isn't like that (or perhaps I use large parts of it for other
stuff, like Japanese woodblock prints :-), but I much prefer simpler things.
Or maybe I'm just basically lazy, and like simpler things because they are
easier...

	Noel