The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2016-01-13 20:31 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-01-13 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Ronald Natalie

    > a new GADS (Gateway Architecture and Data Structures) under Dave
    > Mills's leadership would form which I attended until they morphed it
    > into the IETF

To give a bit more detail, GADS was not producing needed stuff as fast as was
needed, so it was split into InArc and InEng, with Dave running InArc and
Corrigan (initially, Gross later) in charge.

	Noel

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2016-01-03 14:26 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2016-01-03 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Jacob Goense <dugo at xs4all.nl>

    > Mills's 1983 RFC889[2] calls the original PING Packet InterNet Groper.

I have a strong suspicion that Packet-etc is a 'backronym' from Dave Mills.

Note that the use of the term "echo" for a packet returned dates back quite a
while before that, see e.g. IEN 104, "Minutes of the Fault Isolation
Meeting", from March 1979:

  "ability to echo packets off any gateway"

When ICMP was split from GGP (see IEN-109, RFC-777), the functionality
migrated from GGP to ICMP, and was generalized so that all hosts provided the
capability, not just routers.

	Noel

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2016-01-02 23:14 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-01-02 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Personally, I lean away from listing the nine billion debunked
names of cron.  It's like adding a disclaimer to cat(1) to
explain that cat just copies data to standard output, it doesn't
transform it or compute how long it would take to send the data
over UUCP.

But it probably shows that I have been trying to write a couple
of manual pages lately (for some personal stuff, plus some docs
for work that are not technically manual pages but deserve the
same sort of conciseness).

Maybe Wikipedia-page format should admit an optional BUGS section.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

PS: seriously, though I wouldn't bother including the debunking
text myself, save perhaps on the Talk page to encourage editors
to delete any future attempts to revive the un-names, I have no
problem with Grog doing it.  More power to him if he has the
energy!

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2015-12-23 17:19 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-12-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Cowan:

  Well, of course there are conferences and there are conferences.  The
  only conference I've ever had a paper published at, Balisage, is as
  peer-reviewed as any journal.  (And it is gold open access and doesn't
  charge for pages -- the storage costs are absorbed as conference overhead.)

====

Have you actually looked up the cited reference?

The trouble is not that it's a conference paper.  The trouble is
that that the `authority' being cited is just a random assertion,
not backed up.

It's as if I mentioned your name in a paper about something else,
remarked in passing and without any citation of my own that you have
a wooden leg, and Wikipedia accepted that as proof of your prosthesis.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON
(Four limbs and eight eyes, thank you very much)

[parent not found: <mailman.20.1450886678.3292.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2015-12-23 14:38 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2015-12-23 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

    On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:44 PM, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:

    > If that's the quality of reference they accept, there is simply no
    > reason to take anything they publish as gospel.

You're mistaking Wikipedia for an information source you can rely on. It's
not. It's more akin to an attempt to prove that an infinite number of
monkeys, with an infinite number of typewriters, and an infinite amount of
time, can produce a reliable encyclopaedia.

(Yes, yes, spare me the surveys that show that Wikipedia's error rates aren't
that bad, when compared with other encyclopaedias, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, Wikipedia is quite useful as a place for an
_introduction_ to any topic, but anyone who really wants to _reliably_ know
anything about a topic needs to look at the references, not the articles.

There was an attempt to do a Wikipedia-like online encyclopaedia that one
could rely on - Citizendium - but alas it doesn't seem to have taken off (or
hadn't when I got distracted from working on it).

And I know whereof I speak; those who wish to be amused may want to read:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jnc/Astronomer_vs_Amateur

And apologies for continuing the off-topic (this group certainly can't fix
Wikipedia, people have been complaining about this problem for many years
now), but some buttons, you just have to respond when they are pushed...

	Noel

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2015-12-23 13:36 Norman Wilson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-12-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Cowan:

  Wikipedia is by nature a *summary of the published literature*.  If you
  want to get some folklore, like what "cron" stands for, into Wikipedia,
  then publish a folklore article in a journal, book, or similar reputable
  publication.  Random uncontrolled mailing lists simply do not count.

======

That sounds fair enough on the surface.

But if you follow the references cited to support the cron
acronyms, you find that random unsupported assertions in
conference papers do count.  That's not a lot better.

I'd like to see a published, citable reference for the
true origin of `cron'.  Even better, better published
material for a lot of the charming minutiae of the early
days of UNIX.  (Anyone feel up to interviewing Doug and
Ken and Brian and whoever else is left, and writing it up
for publication in ;login:?)

But I'd be satisfied if we could somehow stamp out the
use of spurious references to support spurious claims.
If I had the time and energy I'd look into how to challenge
the cron acronyms on those grounds.  Any volunteers?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2015-12-23 13:30 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-12-23 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry McVoy:

  As a guy who has donated money to Wikipedia this whole thread makes
  me not want to donate again.  Just me being grumpy.

====

Me too.

Perhaps we should start our own online encyclopedia.
In the Ken tradition we could call it pedi.
(pdia sounds better, but pdia.org is already taken.)

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2015-12-23  1:44 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2015-12-23  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perhaps Wikipedia would be satisfied if we could get
Ken to write a letter to some current published journal,
saying that he's the one who named cron, he's heard
people are interested in how it got that name, here's
how.  We could then cite that as a reference.

On the other hand, this may be an example of the
degree to which one should trust Wikipedia.  The
`command run on notice' acronym claim is backed up
by an article from the AUUG (Hi Warren!) Proceedings,
1994, in which the first reference to cron gives
that explanation with no further reference.

If that's the quality of reference they accept, there
is simply no reason to take anything they publish
as gospel.  Sorry.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

Proud that no one has yet made a spurious Wikipedia
page asserting the etymology of my personal domain
name.

* [TUHS] etymology of cron
@ 2015-12-23  0:27 Doug McIlroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2015-12-23  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had never doubted that "cron" was a contraction of "chrono-".
Wikipedia, however, offered several folk acronyms on a par
with it. Brian asked Ken, who confirmed,

"cron comes from the prefix (greek?) for time.
it should have been chron, but i never could spell."

I edited Wikipedia to expunge the nonsense. Amusingly that
makes the article less "verifiable" because there had been
literature citations for the nonsense, but there is none
for the fact.

Doug