The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Sad news: Bell Labs leaving Murray Hill.
@ 2023-12-09 20:30 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2023-12-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS

I'm sure this is already known, but Nokia is relocating Bell Labs to
New Brunswick. Goodbye, Unix Room!

https://www.roi-nj.com/2023/12/08/real_estate/nokia-bell-labs-is-moving-to-helix-in-new-brunswick/

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] Sad news: Bell Labs leaving Murray Hill.
@ 2023-12-09 20:37 ` John Floren via TUHS
From: John Floren via TUHS @ 2023-12-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I can't believe they'd give up the building, it's a beautiful structure. Maybe they'll use it for other groups.

john

* [TUHS] Re: Sad news: Bell Labs leaving Murray Hill.
@ 2023-12-11 19:46   ` Marty McGowan, MIT Club of Princeton
From: Marty McGowan, MIT Club of Princeton @ 2023-12-11 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pete Wright

 Thus following the Holmdel facility into the Halls of Oblivion.

my current location, just E of the NJ Tpke, now splits the distance between them.

I was in HO in the late '80s, at MH in the mid '90s, there to divide the corporate directory.

Anecdote on the latter:  The "company to be named" - i.e. Lucent had to shell out Hundreds of 1000s to Yet Another Garage Tronics in Silicon Valley for rights to the name -- the internet was young enough that the Name Search committee didn't have  "Dot Com" in it's dictionary as yet.

=*+[]* Marty McGowan        +1 908 230-3739
VP of Membership, MIT Club of Princeton <https://alumcommunity.mit.edu/topics/23427/memberships>

@ 2023-12-11 21:21     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2023-12-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martymcgowan; +Cc: Pete Wright

April 16, 2014, from the Unix room:

"I'm about to turn this terminal off,
the last one in the Unix Room. It's the
same 400MHz Pentium II I've had since
before <someone> left."

@ 2023-12-12  0:58       ` segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-12-12  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

While my gut says not likely, I'm holding out hope that Nokia is keen on ensuring someone does a historical sweep of the premises before all is said and done. You never know what might be sitting forgotten in a closet somewhere...a lot of history has gone down in those illustrious halls, formative moments in our quest for better technology for which a modern equivalent fails to come to mind.

For me it's not just about innovations though, but a culture of curiosity, openness, and what feels like genuine interest in bettering the human condition that seeps from so much of the work accomplished by MH and other Bell Labs sites over the decades. A video I watched recently about the breakup of the Bell System echoed what I see in countless recollections of Bell Labs alumni, a sense that their work was contributing to something greater for everyone, not just the bottom line of the telephone company. Hopefully the lessons Bell Labs has taught many an engineer, scientist, and businessperson over the years outlive these facilities by orders of magnitude, but in either case, sad to see the physical artifacts of such important times passing too into the sands of time.

- Matt G.

@ 2023-12-12  1:22         ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-12-12  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

A company I used to work for was vacating a building. I asked, has anyone
checked under the raised floor tiles?

The answer was no. Well I did and found a lot of history down there. From
component parts from long forgotten
systems to water cooling lines for long gone IBM heavy metal and a ground
window.

-Ken

--
End of line
JOB TERMINATED

* [TUHS] Re: Sad news: Bell Labs leaving Murray Hill.
@ 2023-12-12  1:25         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2023-12-12  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

is "PJW in magnets" still there, I wonder.

@ 2023-12-12  2:36           ` Peter Weinberger (温博格) via TUHS
From: Peter Weinberger (温博格) via TUHS @ 2023-12-12  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

The protons must have decayed by now.

@ 2023-12-12  5:54             ` Ken Thompson
From: Ken Thompson @ 2023-12-12  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Weinberger (温博格)
  Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

there was a room with left-hand screw
100 watt light bulbs and sockets.

@ 2023-12-12  5:58               ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-12-12  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson
  Cc: Peter Weinberger (温博格),
	segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Why ? Pranksters or is there some application that benefits from left hand
screwed light bulbs?

Warner

@ 2023-12-12  6:03                 ` Ken Thompson
From: Ken Thompson @ 2023-12-12  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: imp
  Cc: Peter Weinberger (温博格),
	segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

they were regular in the ny subway to stop theft.
some companies in ny also got them for the same
reason. my guess is that bell labs (in ny) did and
brought them out to mh. someone rewired someones
desk lamp. i dont know how that worked out.

@ 2023-12-14 19:46               ` Andrew Hume
From: Andrew Hume @ 2023-12-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Thompson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society