The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-13 19:02 segaloco via TUHS
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-07-13 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Reading through [1], there are documents offered by AT&T for the "Level II COBOL" system, which some further research indicates is a product from Convergent (same folks as the UNIX PC.)  There's also the LPI-COBOL which appears to be a Language Processor Inc. product.

Are these the earliest AT&T endorsed COBOL solutions for UNIX or were there other efforts either promoted by Bell or even perhaps developed locally that were in any use before this version?  Or otherwise is there any other family of ubiquitous UNIX COBOL tools that was in use in the 70s and early 80s, before the timeframe of this document?

Additionally is anyone aware of any surviving code or binaries of either of these or other, earlier efforts at COBOL on UNIX?  I have no goal for this information in mind yet, but just gathering details at this point.  Thanks all!

- Matt G.

[1] - http://bitsavers.org/pdf/att/000-111_ATT_Documentation_Guide_Nov87.pdf

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-13 20:34 ` Clem Cole
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-07-13 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Matt - I never had direct (user) experience with it.  I saw a demo of LPI's
product at a trade show.  It might have run on Ultrix, but if it did, I
have no memory of it being in the test suite we used for releases. Also, I
do not remember if LPI-Colbol was attached to a specific DB implementation
or not.  In those days, there were a number of them besides Ingres -
Informix, IBM's DB2, and one that started with an S - which later was sold
to Microsoft to become SQL-server to name a few, and that may have been
part of it.  But there were bundled applications for different markets
(running a dentist's office, car dealership, store, restaurant, *etc*..)
that ran on small UNIX boxes and used those DBs.

What I remember was that only a few firms were offering Cobol for UNIX (I
think that IBM, DEC, DG, and maybe NCR had them from previous OSses), but
the new generation of UNIX boxes did not - although 3rd parties like LPI
sometimes offered them.  Since it looks like AT&T is naming it/offering it
with their product, that is another example of AT&T management missing the
market.  AT&T's management (Charlie Brown) was interested in going after
IBM and probably thought that Cobol was important if they sold to IBM shops.

The problem was that except for some really large 'Big Blue' places that
never bothered tossing out Cobol (like Wall Street and some insurance
companies --* i.e.* early IBM computer users), I always thought that
writing *new code in Cobol or trying to port old code *was not done that
often because the firms that were switching from Mainframes to UNIX were
generally tossing out their homegrown applications at the same time and
replacing the entire suite with something like SAP, BAAN, or Oracle
APS that were networked, well integrated into things like PCs, used ASCII,
*etc*. - *i.e*. using the replacement as the time to really upgrade their
entire back office and possibly moving away from Big Blue based - which was
not cost-effective (particularly for smaller firms).   Another point was
the Big 8 accounting firms started offering services that used the minis
and UNIX boxes with SAP/BAAN/Oracle APS).  Finally, I may miss remembering
WRT to LPR-Cobol, but it was similar to today's Java in that it compiled
into an interpreter.  Plus, the impression I always had was that it was not
designed for practical large-scale use or performance.

BTW: this is a different behavior from the scientific world.  From mini to
supercomputers, in most cases, scientific users could not toss out their
scientific computing tools and replace them with COTS alternatives (*i.e*.,
no firm like SAP, BAAN or Oracle providing "packaged" solutions for a bank
or business). But since most of the production apps being used came with
sources or the few that were commercial (Cadum, CATIA, Ansys *etc*..), it
was possible to recompile and move things - so people did or the IVSs did.
Even today, as one of my former colleagues put it, any sr computer system
manager that ignores Fortran will eventually get fired for incompetence as
it is still #1.
ᐧ
ᐧ

@ 2023-07-13 20:50   ` Arrigo Triulzi via TUHS
From: Arrigo Triulzi via TUHS @ 2023-07-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I have a bizarre memory of running COBOL on Microsoft/SCO Xenix System V porting and translating an application for petrol pumps, of all things, from English to Italian. The license for the software was photocopied and not from either Microsoft nor SCO (not that those licenses were original either… Italy in the ‘80s…).

Having said this I might have been using the Xenix box as a terminal into something else although I doubt it as my UUCP node and my terminal were not that PC. It was ages ago and I was traumatised by both COBOL and the application.

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-13 21:41   ` Kenneth Goodwin
From: Kenneth Goodwin @ 2023-07-13 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Would your S database perhaps be Sybase??

It is that era of time.

@ 2023-07-13 21:42   ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2023-07-13 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: segaloco, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

You’re thinking of Sybase. That’s where the name “SqlServer” came from. Sybase sold a source code license to Microsoft that included the right to use the name.

(I was a developer at Sybase in the VMS group in the late 1980s and early 1990s)

Jon

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 13, 2023, at 1:35 PM, Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:
>

> Matt - I never had direct (user) experience with it.  Ireleases. Also, I do not remember if LPI-Colbol was attached to a specific DB implementation or not.  In those days, there were a number of them besides Ingres - Informix, IBM's DB2, and one that started with an S - which later was sold to Microsoft to become SQL-server to name a few, and that may have been part of it.

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-13 22:35     ` segaloco via TUHS
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: segaloco via TUHS @ 2023-07-13 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Forrest; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

The conclusion I'm coming to from what has been said thus far is that people who were moving from COBOL and the mainframe world to UNIX didn't have as much of a need for COBOL. Since that transition often involved change in enough other aspects of an operation, moving to UNIX with the same COBOL applications just wasn't the path to success for most folks, as opposed to folks deeply invested in FORTRAN. Would that be a fair characterization?

Thanks for the feedback by the way, one of the matters I'm trying to suss out is what a typical COBOL environment on UNIX would've looked like back when, and what it sounds like is a COBOL environment on UNIX was anything but typical.

- Matt G.

@ 2023-07-13 23:02     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-07-13 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenneth Goodwin; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, segaloco

Yes. Thank you.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 5:41 PM Kenneth Goodwin <kennethgoodwin56@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Reading through [1], there are documents offered by AT&T for the "Level
>>> II COBOL" system, which some further research indicates is a product from
>>> Convergent (same folks as the UNIX PC.)  There's also the LPI-COBOL which
>>> appears to be a Language Processor Inc. product.
>>>
>>> Are these the earliest AT&T endorsed COBOL solutions for UNIX or were
>>> there other efforts either promoted by Bell or even perhaps developed
>>> locally that were in any use before this version?  Or otherwise is there
>>> any other family of ubiquitous UNIX COBOL tools that was in use in the 70s
>>> and early 80s, before the timeframe of this document?
>>>
>>> Additionally is anyone aware of any surviving code or binaries of either
>>> of these or other, earlier efforts at COBOL on UNIX?  I have no goal for
>>> this information in mind yet, but just gathering details at this point.

Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-13 23:19       ` KenUnix
From: KenUnix @ 2023-07-13 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, segaloco

Well if you guys use Linux you can always download open source "gnucobol"
to experiment with.

Ken

End of line
JOB TERMINATED -->> Okey Dokey, OK Boss

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-13 23:20       ` Warner Losh
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-07-13 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Yes. And the need for COBOL also was mirrored in the micro world of the
time (at least the early 80s). Every micro with enough power seemed to have
a COBOL, but all of the offerings dried up before long because although
COBOL was a 'no brainer must have' for business, selling it into this new
market proved to be too hard. At least that's the impression I was left
with at the time, and also what the professors that taught my 'language
survey' course said about it...  You can take the raw code, but the
underlying environment and services just weren't there, so the raw code
turned out to be useless most of the time (I also got some $ re-writing a
few hundred lines of COBOL business logic for a local business that found
that easier for a company that had, as luck would have it, a PDP-11
database written in FORTRAN running on RT-11 or RSTS/E).

Warner

@ 2023-07-14  0:20         ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2023-07-14  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Fortune Systems sold COBOL-74 along with a bunch of business applications. Don't recall who we got it from. There was also SIBOL (from an Irish company) that could run thousands DIBOL programs  under Unix (DIBOL was DEC's own business oriented language).

Speaking of Fortune, I recently stumbled upon this short clip where Stanley Kubrick (in 1983) says he wants a Fortune Computer for Christmas because it runs the most advanced operating system: Unix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54hrLTpsO5g

@ 2023-07-14  1:05       ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2023-07-14  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

> On 14 Jul 2023, at 08:36, segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:
> Since that transition often involved change in enough other aspects of an operation, moving to UNIX with the same COBOL applications just wasn't the path to success for most folks,

I think that’s fair, and certainly true of the COBOL system I knew (late 80s).

For us, a move to Unix would have been a complete re-architect, re-code, and replacement of basically all hardware.   3270 terminals, LU6.2 networking, CICS transaction monitor, ISAM datasets, all the batch jobs and their JCL, to say nothing of the two (redundant) 3090’s and the sea of DASD, monster printers, etc.  The retraining or replacement of staff would have been overwhelming as well.

The closest I could get was writing some CICS transactions in C, but it wasn’t worth the uphill battle.

The only solution was to be acquired by a more modern company and throw the lot out!

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-14  1:16           ` Alan D. Salewski
From: Alan D. Salewski @ 2023-07-14  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS (The Unix Heritage Society)

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023, at 20:20, Bakul Shah wrote:
[...]
> Speaking of Fortune, I recently stumbled upon this short clip where
> Stanley Kubrick (in 1983) says he wants a Fortune Computer for
> Christmas because it runs the most advanced operating system: Unix!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54hrLTpsO5g

That's a great clip, Bakul; thanks for sharing it.
-Al

--
a l a n   d.   s a l e w s k i
ads@salewski.email

* [TUHS] Re: Bell COBOL Environment?
@ 2023-07-14  1:45       ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-07-14  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Below

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 6:36 PM segaloco <segaloco@protonmail.com> wrote:

> The conclusion I'm coming to from what has been said thus far is that
> people who were moving from COBOL and the mainframe world to UNIX didn't
> have as much of a need for COBOL.  Since that transition often involved
> change in enough other aspects of an operation, moving to UNIX with the
> same COBOL applications just wasn't the path to success for most folks, as
> opposed to folks deeply invested in FORTRAN.  Would that be a fair
> characterization?

Yes. That was certainly my experience.

> Thanks for the feedback by the way, one of the matters I'm trying to suss
> out is what a typical COBOL environment on UNIX would've looked like back
> when, and what it sounds like is a COBOL environment on UNIX was anything
> but typical.

I think that is fair.  There were likely multiple reasons why that path
started must likely because Unix was rooted in the CS research and the
engineering communities which was pretty far from what traditional
production Business/COBOL shops did at the time.  By the time business
folks started to notice Unix other economic changes had appeared also such
as firms like SAP/BAAN/Oracle, plus Im not sure the big8 in those days
could spell Unix so business folks didn’t have a reason to pay attention.

Clem

> - Matt G.

                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-07-14  2:14       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2023-07-14  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco; +Cc: TUHS

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 6:36 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:
> The conclusion I'm coming to from what has been said thus far is that people who were moving from COBOL and the mainframe world to UNIX didn't have as much of a need for COBOL.  Since that transition often involved change in enough other aspects of an operation, moving to UNIX with the same COBOL applications just wasn't the path to success for most folks, as opposed to folks deeply invested in FORTRAN.  Would that be a fair characterization?

Echoing what others have said, that seems reasonable to me. Don't tell
the mainframe infosec folks about this; they get really touchy about
defending COBOL's honor for some reason I don't quite understand.

> Thanks for the feedback by the way, one of the matters I'm trying to suss out is what a typical COBOL environment on UNIX would've looked like back when, and what it sounds like is a COBOL environment on UNIX was anything but typical.

A way to think about COBOL is that it's like a DSL for business
transaction processing, but is itself a small part of the overall
offering. In the mainframe world, it's often intimately tied to things
like CICS, ISAM, VTAM and 3270 access methods, SNA, and so on, and in
that sense the language itself is a rather small part of the
ecosystem. Transferring everything into a new environment (e.g., on
Unix) raises a lot of questions about the surrounding technologies and
their non-availability, and ultimately just having the language by
itself isn't terribly useful if you don't have all the other stuff as
well.

Also, COBOL is just a terrible language.

        - Dan C.