* [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02  4:58 Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2007-08-02  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Who knows what happened with plan9 mips kernel?

--
Zhilkin Sergey
http://szhilkin.googlepages.com

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 12:35 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2007-08-02 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Who knows what happened with plan9 mips kernel?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9/browse_thread/thread/51775b1f3af22a3f/c4233ebe2971b0ed?lnk=st&q=group%3Acomp.os.plan9+mips&rnum=1#c4233ebe2971b0ed

My reading this infers that the 3rd edition contained the MIPS kernel,
but it doesnt - I checked my CD from 2000.

Somone was working on a new 64bit port I believe but I guess that stalled
(it has gone very quiet).

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 12:49   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2007-08-02 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> > Who knows what happened with plan9 mips kernel?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9/browse_thread/thread/51775b1f3af22a3f/c4233ebe2971b0ed?lnk=st&q=group%3Acomp.os.plan9+mips&rnum=1#c4233ebe2971b0ed
>
> My reading this infers that the 3rd edition contained the MIPS kernel,
> but it doesnt - I checked my CD from 2000.
>
> Somone was working on a new 64bit port I believe but I guess that stalled
> (it has gone very quiet).
>
> -Steve

i can't load the wiki here but i guess it was tim weiss.

iru

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 13:01     ` William Josephson
From: William Josephson @ 2007-08-02 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 09:49:50AM -0300, Iruata Souza wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
> > > Who knows what happened with plan9 mips kernel?
> >
> > My reading this infers that the 3rd edition contained the MIPS kernel,
> > but it doesnt - I checked my CD from 2000.
> >
> > Somone was working on a new 64bit port I believe but I guess that stalled
> > (it has gone very quiet).
>
> i can't load the wiki here but i guess it was tim weiss.

There ought to be a FAQ :-) The MIPS kernel can't be redistributed
because of restrictions imposed by SGI.  It was for the Challenge
anyway.  A new port to some of the embedded MIPS targets might be
interesting, I suppose, but otherwise all the world's an x86.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 13:48         ` john
From: john @ 2007-08-02 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> in case you are still wanting to hack on the SGI's, i can test it on an o2 r5k.
>
> thanks.
> i currently porting to an Origin 200 and Indigo2 r10k. i'd like to get it
> running on an O2 as well.

Damn, an r10k port... just 6 months after I sold off my Indigo2 because
I couldn't find a decent OS for it (getting IRIX cd's isn't always easy).

John

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:04   ` Tim Wiess
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Tim Wiess @ 2007-08-02 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Somone was working on a new 64bit port I believe but I guess that stalled
> (it has gone very quiet).

yeah unfortunately it is stalled again.  however i'm taking some
vacation time in the next couple weeks and this is at the top of my
list of projects to work on.

this initial port has always been targeted at SGI's systems but when
i'm through with that i'm planning to migrate it over to some embedded
platforms.  i've been looking at possible candidates lately, but i'd
love to get suggestions from others in case there's a nice one that
i've missed.

tim

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:11     ` Iruata Souza
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Iruata Souza @ 2007-08-02 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2007-08-02 15:14       ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2007-08-02 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2007-08-02 15:16         ` Rodrigo Miranda
From: Rodrigo Miranda @ 2007-08-02 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I second that. I also have a r5k O2 at home that would run much better
with Plan 9

On 8/2/07, Tim Wiess <tim@nop.cx> wrote:
> > in case you are still wanting to hack on the SGI's, i can test it on an o2 r5k.
>
> thanks.
> i currently porting to an Origin 200 and Indigo2 r10k. i'd like to get it
> running on an O2 as well.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:25     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-02 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Tim Wiess <tim@nop.cx> wrote:

> > Somone was working on a new 64bit port I believe but I guess that
> stalled
> > (it has gone very quiet).
>
> yeah unfortunately it is stalled again.  however i'm taking some
> vacation time in the next couple weeks and this is at the top of my
> list of projects to work on.
>
> this initial port has always been targeted at SGI's systems but when
> i'm through with that i'm planning to migrate it over to some embedded
> platforms.  i've been looking at possible candidates lately, but i'd
> love to get suggestions from others in case there's a nice one that
> i've missed.
>
> tim

Don't the linksys routers run on MIPSel's.  I don't know if little endian
MIPS is interesting to you though.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:26     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-08-02 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> this initial port has always been targeted at SGI's systems but when
> i'm through with that i'm planning to migrate it over to some embedded
> platforms.  i've been looking at possible candidates lately, but i'd
> love to get suggestions from others in case there's a nice one that
> i've missed.

Brucee did an Inferno port to the Play Station 2, a port to the PSP
might be nice also. Of course, there is the question of why bother
porting Plan 9 when you could port Inferno instead (and more easily).

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:31       ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2007-08-02 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Don't the linksys routers run on MIPSel's.  I don't know if little endian
> MIPS is interesting to you though.

    i'm just focusing on the eb stuff right now.
    although i think somebody worked on a linksys port previously.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-08-02 15:34     ` Geoffrey Avila
From: Geoffrey Avila @ 2007-08-02 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The Sony Playstation2 is an R5900, no? The linux people seem to have a
port for it...

-GBA

> > Somone was working on a new 64bit port I believe but I guess that stalled
> > (it has gone very quiet).
>
> yeah unfortunately it is stalled again.  however i'm taking some
> vacation time in the next couple weeks and this is at the top of my
> list of projects to work on.
>
> this initial port has always been targeted at SGI's systems but when
> i'm through with that i'm planning to migrate it over to some embedded
> platforms.  i've been looking at possible candidates lately, but i'd
> love to get suggestions from others in case there's a nice one that
> i've missed.
>
> tim

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:38       ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2007-08-02 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brucee did an Inferno port to the Play Station 2, a port to the PSP
> might be nice also. Of course, there is the question of why bother
> porting Plan 9 when you could port Inferno instead (and more easily).

On that front, something I haven't tried or looked into, is there any
way to get drawterm functionality from an Inferno client?

If porting Inferno is easier, it could be interesting to boot Inferno
on the plethora of aging MIPS-based portables/handhelds (like IBM's
WorkPad z50, or maybe the early Jornadas), and occasionally drawterm
from there if needed.

Of course, maybe porting drawterm to WinCE would be easier -- if it
hasn't been done already.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:41         ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-08-02 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 08:38:11AM -0700, Jack Johnson wrote:
>On 8/2/07, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Brucee did an Inferno port to the Play Station 2, a port to the PSP
>> might be nice also. Of course, there is the question of why bother
>> porting Plan 9 when you could port Inferno instead (and more easily).
>
>On that front, something I haven't tried or looked into, is there any
>way to get drawterm functionality from an Inferno client?

/n/sources/contrib/rog/infauth

>Of course, maybe porting drawterm to WinCE would be easier -- if it
>hasn't been done already.

Don't blashpeme.

--
Kris Maglione

When a student asks for a second time if you have read
his book report, he did not read the book.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 15:57       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-02 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Geoffrey Avila <avlg@sdsc.edu> wrote:

> The Sony Playstation2 is an R5900, no? The linux people seem to have a
> port for it...
>
> -GBA
>
> Sony in fact had an official linux distribution for it.  It was a kit with
a hard disk and a bunch of other stuff.  NCSA had a cluster of them.
Dave

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 16:11         ` ron minnich
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-02 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There is some interest from this quarter: http://sicortex.com/

in a MIPS port. yes, of Plan 9.

While it is cool to keep old dead hardware going, I wish I could
entice you folks to look at embedded boards with the 4-core mips chip.
Same processor as in sicortex. Much more useful to the world at large.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 16:21           ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-02 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is some interest from this quarter: http://sicortex.com/
>
> in a MIPS port. yes, of Plan 9.
>
> While it is cool to keep old dead hardware going, I wish I could
> entice you folks to look at embedded boards with the 4-core mips chip.
> Same processor as in sicortex. Much more useful to the world at large.
>
> thanks
>
> ron

4 core mips eh?  That's pretty interesting.
I need to get back into playing around with the nintendo DS again.  I just
wish I had more free time to do so...

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 16:22           ` Tim Wiess
From: Tim Wiess @ 2007-08-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> While it is cool to keep old dead hardware going, I wish I could
> entice you folks to look at embedded boards with the 4-core mips chip.
> Same processor as in sicortex. Much more useful to the world at large.

    yeah, these are the types of chips i'm hoping to work on later.
    if anybody has any extra dev boards for a multi-core mips chip
    they want to donate to the cause let me know...  :)

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 16:26           ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-08-02 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Of course, maybe porting drawterm to WinCE would be easier -- if it
>>hasn't been done already.

i tried a compile a while back. two libs didn't compile. it's low
on my priority list. it'll be higher when i get a win mobile device.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 16:47           ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2007-08-02 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> While it is cool to keep old dead hardware going, I wish I could
> entice you folks to look at embedded boards with the 4-core mips chip.

Hey Ron,

Did you have a board in mind you can recommend?

Thanks,

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 17:07             ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-02 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/07, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> > While it is cool to keep old dead hardware going, I wish I could
> > entice you folks to look at embedded boards with the 4-core mips chip.
>
> Hey Ron,
>
> Did you have a board in mind you can recommend?

not that I can recommend. The broadcomm web pages on these parts are
pretty worthless, but here's a
start:http://www.broadcom.com/products/Enterprise-Networking/Communications-Processors

ron

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-02 23:30           ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2007-08-02 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

all this mips talk while i was absent.

we used the mips a lot in the pathstar project, 0[cal] is
the tool set for 64bit little endian guys.  we didn't run
plan9 - the linecards ran either inferno or lcos.
i can't remember the numbers but i believe the main
devices were the 4700 and the 7000.

a plan9 port/updated port would involve the usual
memory management nightmares but not much else.

i did a quick port to the PS2, which has 128 bit registers
and restricted floating point.  e[cal] is the tool set,
but may not be in the distribution.  3[cal] is the tool set
for the IO processor (BE 3000?).  (this was an inferno.)

i like the mips - should be more of them out there.

brucee

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-03  0:47             ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-08-03  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey David,

I haven't mentioned it on this list yet, but my summer of code project
has inferno booting on the ds. I can make it to wm/sh. Right now I'm
working on touch screen or wifi support. If you're interested and have
a flash card or an emulator(I like no$gba) I'll hook you up with a
game rom and the source.

Noah

@ 2007-08-03 14:56               ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Noah Evans <noah.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> I haven't mentioned it on this list yet, but my summer of code project
> has inferno booting on the ds. I can make it to wm/sh. Right now I'm
> working on touch screen or wifi support. If you're interested and have
> a flash card or an emulator(I like no$gba) I'll hook you up with a
> game rom and the source.

Noah

I'm extremely interested.  Especially in how you got it all compiled :-)

Every time I thought I'd have time to sit down with the toolchain, I ended
up getting married or buying a house or something :-)

I'm hoping I'll have some time for actually playing with this in the near
future.

Dave

@ 2007-08-03 15:08                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-03 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/3/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/2/07, Noah Evans <noah.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey David,
> >
> > I haven't mentioned it on this list yet, but my summer of code project
> > has inferno booting on the ds. I can make it to wm/sh. Right now I'm
> > working on touch screen or wifi support. If you're interested and have
> > a flash card or an emulator(I like no$gba) I'll hook you up with a
> > game rom and the source.
>

> Noah
>

> I'm extremely interested.  Especially in how you got it all compiled :-)
>

> Every time I thought I'd have time to sit down with the toolchain, I ended
> up getting married or buying a house or something :-)
>

> I'm hoping I'll have some time for actually playing with this in the near
> future.
>

> Dave

Just occurred to me, 5c 5a 5l are for ARM7 it looks like... The DS has ARM7
AND and ARM9.  ARM9 is used to control wifi and touchscreen, and the two
CPUs communicate via a FIFO.

So... do we have an ARM9 compiler?  :-)

Sounds like we might need one.

Dave

@ 2007-08-04  3:13                 ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-08-04  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey David,

Compiling isn't that much of a problem really. Devkitpro comes with a
utility called ndstool which will take the arm7 and arm9 executables
and throw them together with the proper nintendo header.

All you need to do when you compile is make sure that you know where
your entry points are and tell 5l you don't need any headers. I was
pretty clueless about the whole thing when I started but Charles has
been great in guiding me through things.

@ 2007-08-04  3:16                   ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-08-04  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey David,

Other than a problem with a picky emulator(it didn't like 5l's opcodes
for a few things), 5[acl] seem to work fine with the arm9 in the ds.
Eventually I'm going to try to move as much as I can to thumb, but
right now the tool chain is being very good to me.

Best Regards,

Noah

@ 2007-08-04 10:01                     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2007-08-04 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Eventually I'm going to try to move as much as I can to thumb, but
> right now the tool chain is being very good to me.

i'd ignore thumb.  we can do it (cf. tc, and the extensive cross-calling support
in inferno's 5l) but i'd still ignore it.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-04 12:11                       ` Noah Evans
From: Noah Evans @ 2007-08-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You're right. But in the end wouldn't thumb be faster? Most of the
homebrew/professional software for the ds is written in thumb with arm
for the interrupt handlers and such. IIRC the ds reads are in 16bit
increments.

I did a naive compile to thumb a while back, it "worked" insofar as
the kernel booted but the graphics were messed up.

Noah

@ 2007-08-04 17:57                   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-04 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/3/07, Noah Evans <noah.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> Compiling isn't that much of a problem really. Devkitpro comes with a
> utility called ndstool which will take the arm7 and arm9 executables
> and throw them together with the proper nintendo header.
>
> All you need to do when you compile is make sure that you know where
> your entry points are and tell 5l you don't need any headers. I was
> pretty clueless about the whole thing when I started but Charles has
> been great in guiding me through things.
>
> Noah

Cool I'd be happy to check it all out.  Devkitpro does make things pretty
simple.  ndstool I hadn't studied to closely... used some of the other
projects as a template for the tinkering I've been doing when I had the
time.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 10:11           ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-08-13 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/2/07, Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 08:38:11AM -0700, Jack Johnson wrote:
> >On 8/2/07, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Brucee did an Inferno port to the Play Station 2, a port to the PSP
> >> might be nice also. Of course, there is the question of why bother
> >> porting Plan 9 when you could port Inferno instead (and more easily).
> >
> >On that front, something I haven't tried or looked into, is there any
> >way to get drawterm functionality from an Inferno client?
>
> /n/sources/contrib/rog/infauth

further to that, i recently spent a little time getting this going on
a recent vanilla inferno distribution, and realised that it's probably more
involved than it should be, and it lacked one or two pieces that i'd
put together in the meantime. i've put those in, but some more documentation
would probably be useful. i think forsyth might put some bits of it into the
distribution, which would be nice, but as he's as busy as usual, i don't
expect that any time soon.

using inferno as a drawterm means that you can have a
non-graphical shell window (local mouse interaction and editing, remote
commands) which is useful when connecting through higher
latency connections. i wouldn't be without it.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 11:45             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-13 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> using inferno as a drawterm means that you can have a
> non-graphical shell window (local mouse interaction and editing, remote
> commands) which is useful when connecting through higher
> latency connections. i wouldn't be without it.

you don't have to start rio on drawterm.  that's controlled by your profile.

comment out these lines from your profile if you don't want
rio:

case cpu
...blah blah blah...
	if (! test -e /mnt/term/mnt/wsys) {
		# cpu call from drawterm
		exec rio
	}

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 13:19               ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-08-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/13/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > using inferno as a drawterm means that you can have a
> > non-graphical shell window (local mouse interaction and editing, remote
> > commands) which is useful when connecting through higher
> > latency connections. i wouldn't be without it.
>
> you don't have to start rio on drawterm.  that's controlled by your profile.

but if you don't start rio, the drawterm console only provides limited
functionality,
(unless i tried a broken version) - no mouse selection, cut, paste, hold-mode,
scrollback, etc.

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 13:53                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but if you don't start rio, the drawterm console only provides limited
> functionality,
> (unless i tried a broken version) - no mouse selection, cut, paste, hold-mode,
> scrollback, etc.

you didn't say you wanted those. ;-)  what about ssh?  ssh isn't too hard
to setup.  you will need netkey from p9p.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 14:17                   ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-08-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/13/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> > but if you don't start rio, the drawterm console only provides limited
> > functionality,
> > (unless i tried a broken version) - no mouse selection, cut, paste, hold-mode,
> > scrollback, etc.
>
> you didn't say you wanted those. ;-)  what about ssh?  ssh isn't too hard
> to setup.  you will need netkey from p9p.

... but if i used ssh, i wouldn't get easy access to /mnt/term,
with all of the benefits that that implies. likewise, i wouldn't be
able to create new shell
or rio windows spawned from within the same cpu session (i.e. sharing
the same environment,
including the name space).

when i use inferno as a drawterm, i get a local shell window, but plumbed images
pop up in new inferno windows, and plumbed files show up in my acme window.
i.e. i get the best of both worlds (not quite as good as running
native plan 9, of course,
but better than drawterm IMHO)

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 15:59                     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-08-13 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ... but if i used ssh, i wouldn't get easy access to /mnt/term,
> with all of the benefits that that implies. likewise, i wouldn't be
> able to create new shell
> or rio windows spawned from within the same cpu session (i.e. sharing
> the same environment,
> including the name space).
>
> when i use inferno as a drawterm, i get a local shell window, but plumbed images
> pop up in new inferno windows, and plumbed files show up in my acme window.
> i.e. i get the best of both worlds (not quite as good as running
> native plan 9, of course,
> but better than drawterm IMHO)

if what you really want is file access, use import.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Mips kernel
@ 2007-08-13 17:16                       ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2007-08-13 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> if what you really want is file access, use import.

what i really want is a plan9-style cpu connection, with local and
remote resources
equally available to any commands i might choose to run on the remote computer.
it's a powerful thing that i got used to when i was running plan 9 all
the time, and something
i'm reluctant to give up, now that i often use a different system.
using inferno as a drawterm means that largely, i don't have to.

you're right, every individual piece of functionality that i use
can be obtained through some tool or other - but it's in the synthesis
of all of it via 9p that the beauty shines through - i can
mix and match local and remote on an ad hoc basis in a very
natural way. for me, drawterm only gives one half of the equation;
it's very nice to be able to do arbitrary client-side stuff too.

* Re: [9fans] mips kernel
@ 2003-01-30  2:13 ` John Packer
From: John Packer @ 2003-01-30  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, you're asking the wrong guy.

The 3rd edition mips kernel wasn't for SGI machines, and
wasn't released with the 4th edition, which
is too bad: it is an excellent reference to the kernel.

Documentation on SGI hardware hard to come by, making a port
extremely difficult.

The mips work I was referring to was for the Playstation 2,
more as a cool demo and as a learning experience. It at least
has (some) documentation.

Good luck.

John

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 08:14  PM, me wrote:

> Dear Mr. Packer:
>
> I am in the process of securing some SGI MIPS workstations and I was
> wondering if I could use them with the 4th edition of Plan 9.
>
> Is what you were doing with the mips kernel enabling them to work with
> a terminal running plan 9?  Does a mips kernel installed under the 3rd
> edition of plan 9 compatible with the 4th edition?
>
> I apologize for addressing this directly but I need to take delivery
> of these workstations soon...
>

> Thanks for you time....
>
> DAve
> ddeldebb@nycap.rr.com