categories - Category Theory list
* Bill's Laval notes
@ 2024-01-17 21:16 Michael Barr, Prof.
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Barr, Prof. @ 2024-01-17 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cmuster, categories

Let's suppose we can find a copy.  Fatima has asked Danilo, who is dealing with Bill's paper, to look for it.  Is there enough interest to support a retyping project?  I would be willing to coordinate it, as I have done with a couple of other things not published in regular journals.  The idea is to get enough people to type maybe 10 pages each, then I would put them together, get the LaTeX coordinated and post it somewhere, maybe as a TAC reprint.

Michael

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Bill's Laval notes
@ 2024-01-17 22:44 ` Valeria de Paiva
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Valeria de Paiva @ 2024-01-17 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: cmuster, categories

Dear Mike,
Thanks for the recent lovely histories and also for suggesting this project of retyping Bill's Laval lecture notes!

>Is there enough interest to support a retyping project?
I think so.  I'd be willing to type 10 pages, again, as I did when you coordinated the typing of Beck's thesis.

But maybe the question should be asked in the categories zulip.  There are plenty of energetic and enthusiastic young ones there, who would would probably jump at the chance.

all the best,
Valeria

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Cmk0Cnx1Z5Uog2jyt9Y9os?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/lrnUCoV1Y2Sz5RZoFzqfNF?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/WgaECp81gYC8qWKlIYgOb7?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2024-01-17 22:48 ` Ben Webster
From: Ben Webster @ 2024-01-17 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof., cmuster, categories

If you use Overleaf, you won’t even have to worry about putting them together, people can just work simultaneously in the document.

From: Michael Barr, Prof. <barr.michael@mcgill.ca>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 4:30 PM
To: cmuster@gmx.net <cmuster@gmx.net>, categories@mq.edu.au <categories@mq.edu.au>
Subject: Bill's Laval notes

@ 2024-01-17 23:50   ` David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2024-01-17 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Webster; +Cc: Michael Barr, Prof., cmuster, categories

I helped with the LaTeXing of Leroy's thesis (https://agrothendieck.github.io/divers/leroy.pdf<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QsAvC1WLjwsYxYvwuysbpM?domain=agrothendieck.github.io>), it was done in Overleaf and Mateo Carmona and Niels Borne did the initial transcription and proof-reading/editing while I typeset in the diagrams.

Best,

David

David Roberts
Webpage: https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/David+Roberts<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Hd0eCVARmOHAmAOjcz7wLf?domain=ncatlab.org>
Blog: https://thehighergeometer.wordpress.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/IBlwCWLVn6iBZBlwTK8gVd?domain=thehighergeometer.wordpress.com>

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 at 09:49, Ben Webster <bwebste@gmail.com<mailto:bwebste@gmail.com>> wrote:
CAUTION: External email. Only click on links or open attachments from trusted senders.

________________________________

From: Michael Barr, Prof. <barr.michael@mcgill.ca<mailto:barr.michael@mcgill.ca>>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 4:30 PM
To: cmuster@gmx.net<mailto:cmuster@gmx.net> <cmuster@gmx.net<mailto:cmuster@gmx.net>>, categories@mq.edu.au<mailto:categories@mq.edu.au> <categories@mq.edu.au<mailto:categories@mq.edu.au>>

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1NHkCXLW6DiYjYp7uk3xqW?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/CpnoCYW86EsxmxGofMGLqv?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/7IVoCZY146sNANOntPOvP-?domain=aka.ms>

@ 2024-01-18  5:10   ` Dusko Pavlovic
From: Dusko Pavlovic @ 2024-01-18  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Webster; +Cc: Michael Barr, Prof., categories

> If you use Overleaf, you won’t even have to worry about putting them together, people can just work simultaneously in the document.

if we really want to be up to date, we should probably go beyond overleaf and use one of the LLama 2 APIs to generate latex. (a long long time ago someone tried to use overleaf on top of gpt3.5 and it was a little messy)

BUT the fact that we all want to read *Lawvere's* lectures seems to be saying that some things in the past used to be more fun than some things in the future.

so my vote would be to ask mike to organize the typesetting whichever way he is used to doing it, having organized it so many times :)

-- dusko

From: Michael Barr, Prof. <barr.michael@mcgill.ca<mailto:barr.michael@mcgill.ca>>
Date: Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 4:30 PM
To: cmuster@gmx.net<mailto:cmuster@gmx.net> <cmuster@gmx.net<mailto:cmuster@gmx.net>>, categories@mq.edu.au<mailto:categories@mq.edu.au> <categories@mq.edu.au<mailto:categories@mq.edu.au>>

View group files<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/HXnSCBNqgBC4vZqRtztwO5?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Leave group<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/eS5iCD1vRkCVX6pJu5L3P2?domain=outlook.office365.com>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/jz1zCE8wlRCDBAy0fpAnYb?domain=aka.ms>

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Saving old papers on CT
@ 2024-01-18  7:22 ` streicher
From: streicher @ 2024-01-18  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: cmuster, categories

I am also curious about the Laval notes by Lawvere.
Dusko made this remark that some of the old stuff may be more fun to read.
I do not want to comment on that but it could be that certain things had
more charm when they were still fresh as in the 70s.

In this context I want to bring up the issue of retyping some old stuff of
Benabou and alike which I have made accessible via my homepage some time
ago with the help of my former student J. Weinberger.
It is

Benabou's Montreal lectures (1974)

Benabou's Louvain-la-Neuve lectures (1980)

And the Theses of Celeyrette (197) and of Moens (1982)

as well as Chaper 1 of his never finished book Jon Fibered Categories
(about 100 pages).

I noticed that there was quite some interest in particular among younger
colleagues.

Therefore it might be worthwhile to save these things by publishing them
as TAC reprints.

I am fully aware that Jean was a controversial figure in his days. But he
also had quite some influence and his work on fibered categories is of
lasting value.

So I think it would be a service to the community to save this work in
particular because it was never formally published.

Hoping for a positive reaction,
Thomas

* Re: Saving old papers on CT
@ 2024-01-18 20:19   ` Valeria de Paiva
From: Valeria de Paiva @ 2024-01-18 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: streicher; +Cc: Michael Barr, Prof., cmuster, categories

Great idea, Thomas!
Very positive reaction over here, as you probably already knew.
I think you guys did a great job putting Benabou's writings on the web
(kudos to you!),
but I think TAC reprints would be much more accessible and would help
prevent people rediscovering the  wheel! and it doesn't even use up more
trees!
Best,
Valeria

On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 12:09 PM <streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de>
wrote:

> I am also curious about the Laval notes by Lawvere.
> Dusko made this remark that some of the old stuff may be more fun to read.
> I do not want to comment on that but it could be that certain things had
> more charm when they were still fresh as in the 70s.
>
> In this context I want to bring up the issue of retyping some old stuff of
> Benabou and alike which I have made accessible via my homepage some time
> ago with the help of my former student J. Weinberger.
> It is
>
> Benabou's Montreal lectures (1974)
>
> Benabou's Louvain-la-Neuve lectures (1980)
>
> And the Theses of Celeyrette (197) and of Moens (1982)
>
> as well as Chaper 1 of his never finished book Jon Fibered Categories
> (about 100 pages).
>
> I noticed that there was quite some interest in particular among younger
> colleagues.
>
> Therefore it might be worthwhile to save these things by publishing them
> as TAC reprints.
>
> I am fully aware that Jean was a controversial figure in his days. But he
> also had quite some influence and his work on fibered categories is of
> lasting value.
>
> So I think it would be a service to the community to save this work in
> particular because it was never formally published.
>
> Hoping for a positive reaction,
> Thomas

> Leave group:
>
> https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/UsD-CRONg6sLNYxrs9glE8?domain=outlook.office365.com

* Bill's Laval notes
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2024-01-18 23:32 ` rlk
From: rlk @ 2024-01-18 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: cmuster, categories

Michael Barr, Prof. writes:

> Let's suppose we can find a copy.  Fatima has asked Danilo, who is dealing
> with Bill's paper, to look for it.  Is there enough interest to support a
> retyping project?  I would be willing to coordinate it, as I have done with
> a couple of other things not published in regular journals.  The idea is to
> get enough people to type maybe 10 pages each, then I would put them
> together, get the LaTeX coordinated and post it somewhere, maybe as a TAC
> reprint.
 >
 > Michael

You will probably be oversubscribed but having helped with a couple of these
projects before I am delighted to offer my help any way I can.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten
541-296-4528

* Re: Saving old papers on CT
@ 2024-01-19  9:23   ` Urs Schreiber
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2024-01-19  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: streicher; +Cc: Michael Barr, Prof., cmuster, categories

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 12:08 AM <streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> I am fully aware that Jean was a controversial figure in his days.

Could you indicate what controversy this was?

Best wishes,
Urs

* Re: **EXTERN** Re: Saving old papers on CT
@ 2024-01-19 11:34     ` Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2024-01-19 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urs Schreiber; +Cc: Michael Barr, Prof., cmuster, categories

> > I am fully aware that Jean was a controversial figure in his days.
>
> Could you indicate what controversy this was?

It started before I got into categorical circles in the mid 80s.
Some of its traces can be found on the categories list.

One of the visible expressions is Jean's 1985 JSL article where he
devotes 2 pages explaining why his work was superior to the one of
Par'e and Schumacher in a way much more explicit than usual.

As I understand it he presented his work 1974 in lectures of at Montreal.
A couple of years later Pare and Schumacher came up with their long
article phrasing things in the language of indexed cats. Jean
complained about certain defects of the latter approach. But as I
understand he was essentially upset that they published his material
before him. But he definitely was a perfectionist and the writing of
the book was never finished.

That is the impression of a person who was not involved those days and
just knows things from rumour and what people said.

I know Jean as a very polite person but also that under certain
circumstances he could easily "explode".

I heard him talk the first time at Logic Colloquium in Firenze in 1982
where he gave a very condensed version of his later JSL article
including the controversy. I noticed that there was an obvious tension
in the room. But I didn't care and rather got curious about fibered
categories. I received very early a copy of Roisin's handwritten notes
which I read with great delight. Over the years I got into it more and more
and finally when asked to lecture on it in Munich in 1999 I strated to
prepare some notes for myself in order to not forget about material
which was not easily available. For me it is an indispensible tool for
doing category theory over arbitrary base toposes.

Your question shows that a younger generation of category theorists
is not aware of those things. In a sense this is good so and normal since
it allows to look at things in a more objective way.

But since this material was never really published and the copies I provided
are not of the best quality (see
https://www2.mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de/~streicher/FibCatTexts/)<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/SqgqCyoj8PuMEVoqcM2-CM?domain=mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> I
think it would be a service to the community to have them available in
more readable form.

Whether it is necessary to translate them I am not so sure.

In any case I am not interested in heating up an old and by now dead
conflict.
My intention just is to preserve important work for future generations
since I found reading it most delightful.

I was told to make an official submission but could not find any form
for that. Rather have the impression that these things are decided by some
responsible board. It is their decision but it might be helpful to
express on the cat-list whether one is interested in the preservation
of this material. Just to find out whether it is worth the effort to
retype those things.

Thomas

@ 2024-01-19 23:37       ` John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2024-01-19 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

Thomas Streicher wrote:

I was told to make an official submission but could not find any form
for that. Rather have the impression that these things are decided by some
responsible board. It is their decision but it might be helpful to
express on the cat-list whether one is interested in the preservation
of this material. Just to find out whether it is worth the effort to
retype those things.

I think it would be a good idea.   The TAC website says:

After obtaining written permission from any copyright holder, any three TAC Editors
may propose a work for TAC Reprints to the Managing Editor. The proposal will
be reported to all Editors.

There are probably three TAC editors reading this now, but you could also contact
several of them and suggest doing this.  They are listed on the TAC website.

I don't think the TAC editors should bear the whole burden of seeking old category
theory articles worth reprinting.  There should be some mechanism to bring such
papers to their attention.

Best,
jb

@ 2024-01-20 14:17       ` Jon Sterling