* \showmakeup adds unwanted space despite accurate readings; \qquad mandatory before \TeX\
@ 2023-07-05 13:18 Carlos
From: Carlos @ 2023-07-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

\showmakeup on \TeX\ shows a

tSP:3.282
THK:-1.721
H__E
HK:-1.291
SP:3.282

I assume that SP stands for space. Correct me if I'm wrong

After reading some of the manuals that mention \showmakeup with and
without [spaces] and so forth, I couldn't find any more info related
to this.

If anyone can provide me more information as to what does HK means there?

Anyhow

If I were to have, say, a control _word_ such as \TeX\, the sequence of
TeX kerning is thrown off. The only remedy would be to have a a \qquad
preceding the control sequence e.g., {\qquad
\TeX\ significantly} to sort of ameliorate this side-effect. But then
again. Spacing is off. e.g.,

The separation of any of these four components would have
hurt {\qquad\TeX\ significantly}. If I had not participated fully in

But it's interesting that \showmakeup, kerning and spaces would
display what's to be expected. And yet, the aformentioned set of

tSP:3.282
THK:-1.721
H__E
HK:-1.291
SP:3.282

is accurate nevertheless. And a very nice implementation at that,
but one I fear can't be included on a final document either.

With that being said, the introduction of a \qquad, in addition to
\showmakeup with, say, redundancy aside, whatever is preceding the \TeX\
alongside the file would also introduce a space where no space was ever
there before.

Because of all of this, and unfortunately, \showmakeup is not quite helpful
here either. Although it does so displays the amount of spaces and
so forth, any addition of a \qquad also adds a very subtle unwanted
space.

And since we're looking here, I pressume, solely for accuracy and
perfection, we're left here with neither: zero, zip. It evaporates.

--
Dear Emily:
	I'm still confused as to what groups articles should be posted

Dear Still:
	Ok.  Let's say you want to report that Gretzky has been traded from
the Oilers to the Kings.  Now right away you might think rec.sport.hockey
would be enough.  WRONG.  Many more people might be interested.  This is a
big trade!  Since it's a NEWS article, it belongs in the news.* hierarchy
as well.  If you are a news admin, or there is one on your machine, try
news.admin.  If not, use news.misc.
	The Oilers are probably interested in geology, so try sci.physics.
He is a big star, so post to sci.astro, and sci.space because they are also
interested in stars.  Next, his name is Polish sounding.  So post to
soc.culture.polish.  But that group doesn't exist, so cross-post to
news.groups suggesting it should be created.  With this many groups of
interest, your article will be quite bizarre, so post to talk.bizarre as
well.  (And post to comp.std.mumps, since they hardly get any articles
there, and a "comp" group will propagate your article further.)
	You may also find it is more fun to post the article once in each
group.  If you list all the newsgroups in the same article, some newsreaders
will only show the article to the reader once!  Don't tolerate this.
		-- Emily Postnews Answers Your Questions on Netiquette