[parent not found: <000101c6285f$54291320$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>]
* Re: [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-03  2:09 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-03  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this doesn't work for me.

* Re: [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-03  1:00 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-03  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb  2 18:32:34 CST 2006, ggm@apnic.net wrote:
> 	(f)open() ... read/write .. (f)close() on a name, then you
> either dick with the name, or dick with the open FD, or invoke the gods.
>
> sockets() in some ways was about deliberately breaking the model to
> make things like ioctl() more plausibly tenable. Who really cares if
> you have to setsockopt() once you bought into having to do the whole
> socket() thing in the first place?
>
> -G

the argument that keeps coming up seems to be "you can write to a socket,
so how bad can it be". the corollary seems to be "you can pass the fd around".

i believe the corollary is false. how would you tell your favorite editor to open a file on
the other end of a socket?

it is a major problem that the network (with a socket interface) is outside the namespace.
it results in stuff like /dev/tcp in bash/gawk.

furthermore, it's not true that you can "just write" to a socket. for instance, udp
sockets cannot be written to.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-03  0:39 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-03  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i thought it was clear i was arguing the opposite.

- erik

On Thu Feb  2 18:32:08 CST 2006, rsc@swtch.com wrote:
> > definately not true on linux. udp and netlink
> > sockets would be a counter example.
>
> linux being broken is a bad argument for breaking it further.
>
> russ

* Re: [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-02 17:43 quanstro
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-02 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Feb  2 11:57:10 CST 2006, forsyth@vitanuova.com wrote:
> yes, i supposed it could be something along those lines but i didn't make my point clear.
> if it is along those lines, it breaks something that even sockets didn't break.
> at the moment, i get a file descriptor that i can pass to anything that does read and write.

definately not true on linux. udp and netlink sockets would be a counter example.

> now i've got something that i can only mmap, and even the mmap refers to a
> non-trivial data structure shared with the kernel, and the recipient of the file descriptor
> must invoke special calls in a special library (ie, the `access method').
> i suppose you could call it TCAM

i think you're confusing "moving" bytes around with using said bytes with a context.

any file that you read or write can be viewed as either a series of bytes or a complicated
data structure. either mmap or read/write will let you do that.

take /etc/passwd on linux. you can read(2) it or you can use setpwent/getpwent/endpwent
if you'd like to view it as a data structure.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-02 17:14 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-02 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you have successfully reinvented multics with networking.

some people have done page-based distributed shared memory along
these lines.

the problem with distribution is that you need some protocol
involving naming to send the pages around. which ends up looking quite a bit
like a file protocol. with One True addressing scheme.

- erik

@ 2006-02-01 20:50 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

more fundamentally, bsd missed the point of unix. what file does
a socket fd reference?

- erik

@ 2006-02-01 20:35 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it could have been worse. they could have had a builtin "socket";
given the universe of possibly ways networking sockets could have been
introduced to bash, this is probablly better than par.

- erik

@ 2006-02-01 19:13 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-01 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Feb  1 18:49:24 CST 2006, leimy2k@gmail.com wrote:

> > i don't know anything about the reasoning for this. efficiency?
> > support for a static /dev? i don't know.
>
> Probably because they don't have a single devfs they can agree on?

that assumes that there was a dynamic /dev when networking was
added.

@ 2006-02-01 18:55 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-01 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what the bash shell supports and what linux kernel supports are, after all,
two seperate and not necessiarly related things.

bash runs on more than linux, after all.

- erik

On Wed Feb  1 18:50:13 CST 2006, leimy2k@gmail.com wrote:
> On 2/1/06, quanstro@quanstro.net <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > c'mon. linux has consistently gone the other way on this issue.
> > linux doesn't even have a device node for network interfaces.
> >
> > i don't know anything about the reasoning for this. efficiency?
> > support for a static /dev? i don't know.
> >

> The bash shell supports /dev/tcp.... kind of evil but you can make
> connections and send strings via file redirection with it.
>
> Dave

* Re: [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-01 18:20 quanstro
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-01 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Feb  1 11:50:33 CST 2006, uriel@cat-v.org wrote:
> > anyone seen this?
> >
> > http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/vj/
> Yes quite interesting, and here is a nice writeup:
> http://vger.kernel.org/~davem/cgi-bin/blog.cgi/2006/01/27
>
> > i don't know if his methods have any application to Plan 9, since the
> > Plan 9 IP stack doesn't seem to have the lineage of the linux and bsd
> > stacks. i am not intimate with the IP stack code, but it might bear a
> > lookover.
> >From the very little I know about our IP stack(which comes from reading Nemo's
> excellent commentary on the 3rd edition kernel source), we might be not too
> far from a design similar to what is described there, but I might be completely
> wrong.
>
> And even if it's not, /net makes it easy to put the IP stack in user space without
> having to change a single line of application code. Ah, the more I deal with
> Plan 9, the more I love it :)
>
> Maybe we should try to convince those lunix people to replace sockets with
> something like /net? ;)

* [9fans] Van Jacobsen's network stack restructure
@ 2006-02-01  4:28 Christopher Nielsen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2006-02-01  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

anyone seen this?

http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/vj/

i don't know if his methods have any application to Plan 9, since the
Plan 9 IP stack doesn't seem to have the lineage of the linux and bsd
stacks. i am not intimate with the IP stack code, but it might bear a
lookover.

it at least has me curious enough to go digging around through the code. :-)

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary