* [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-12 21:36 Skip Tavakkolian
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-11-12 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

FYI, for those of you who are on twitter, I've set up the twitter handle
@Plan9_OS to push news and announcements to the community.   Please
consider following it; and if you tweet about Plan 9 or related topics,
please try to include this handle in your announcements.

Thanks,
-Skip

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-13  3:50 ` Lucio De Re
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lucio De Re @ 2020-11-13  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 11/12/20, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FYI, for those of you who are on twitter, I've set up the twitter handle
> @Plan9_OS to push news and announcements to the community.   Please
> consider following it; and if you tweet about Plan 9 or related topics,
> please try to include this handle in your announcements.

Is that a good idea? I, for one, have no intention of ever sharing a
medium with Donald Trump.

Lucio.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-13  3:55   ` Don A. Bailey
From: Don A. Bailey @ 2020-11-13  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You know Trump has email, right? ;-)

@ 2020-11-13  3:57     ` Calvin Morrison
From: Calvin Morrison @ 2020-11-13  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: g_patrickb via 9fans

It's ok, plan9 will get disputed by twitter fact checkers before a twitter presence is established.

--
Calvin

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-13  6:31       ` sirjofri+ml-9fans
From: sirjofri+ml-9fans @ 2020-11-13  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey,

I didn't get the initial mail in this thread in my sirjofri.de mailbox.
Only in my gmail box...

I am on twitter, but not actively at the moment. I'll follow it, but
don't expect too much from me. You can retweet my plan9 related posts if
you want, maybe this brings some attention after all this time...

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-13 18:45 ` Kim Shrier
From: Kim Shrier @ 2020-11-13 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Nov 12, 2020, at 2:36 PM, Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> FYI, for those of you who are on twitter, I've set up the twitter handle @Plan9_OS to push news and announcements to the community.   Please consider following it; and if you tweet about Plan 9 or related topics, please try to include this handle in your announcements.
>
> Thanks,
> -Skip

I hope this does not become the preferred method for news and announcements.

I don’t have a twitter account and have no plans to change that.

Kim

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-13 19:05   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-11-13 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It is in addition to existing channels, including 9fans list.

BTW, there are two groups on LinkedIn (both named "Plan 9 from Bell Labs").
One is managed by John Floren and the other by Sergey, Charles and myself.
It probably has the least traffic. (also, perhaps we should combine them?)

-Skip

@ 2020-11-13 19:09     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2020-11-13 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> BTW, there are two groups on LinkedIn (both named "Plan 9 from Bell
> Labs"). One is managed by John Floren and the other by Sergey, Charles and
> myself. It probably has the least traffic. (also, perhaps we should combine
> them?)

The second LinkedIn group I mentioned also includes nemo, djc and ericvh as
managers.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-13 23:23     ` Pouya Tafti
From: Pouya Tafti @ 2020-11-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020, at 20:05, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> It is in addition to existing channels, including 9fans list.
>
> BTW, there are two groups on LinkedIn (both named "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"). One is managed by John Floren and the other by Sergey, Charles and myself. It probably has the least traffic. (also, perhaps we should combine them?)
>
> -Skip

Thank you for setting up the Twitter account.  I started following it.  Concerning LinkedIn as a platform, IMHO, it may be useful for recruitment but as a social medium it's a toxic wasteland of self-promotion and marketing hype (or at least it was when I stopped visiting).  I'm sure the Plan 9 groups are still great though.

Pouya

* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-16  0:03       ` cigar562hfsp952fans
From: cigar562hfsp952fans @ 2020-11-16  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> > Is that a good idea? I, for one, have no intention of ever sharing a
>> > medium with Donald Trump.
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, at 10:55 PM, Don A. Bailey wrote:
>> You know Trump has email, right? ;-)

I don't know about that.  He's never responded to e-mail from me.  :-/

"Calvin Morrison" <calvin@fastmailteam.com> writes:

> It's ok, plan9 will get disputed by twitter fact checkers before a
> twitter presence is established.

LOL

Nothing that good could possible be true, could it?  ;)

"Pouya Tafti" <pouya+lists.9fans@nohup.io> writes:

> Concerning LinkedIn as a platform, IMHO, it may be useful for
> recruitment but as a social medium it's a toxic wasteland of
> self-promotion and marketing hype

...just like Twitter.

* [9fans] Re: Plan 9 announcements on twitter
@ 2020-11-16  0:09 ` cigar562hfsp952fans
From: cigar562hfsp952fans @ 2020-11-16  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com> writes:

> FYI, for those of you who are on twitter, I've set up the twitter handle
> @Plan9_OS to push news and announcements to the community.   Please
> consider following it; and if you tweet about Plan 9 or related topics,
> please try to include this handle in your announcements.

I actually think this is a REALLY good idea.  We can use Twitter to
stir-up mass hysteria about zombies from outer space planning to invade
Earth by bombarding it with electromagnetic "Tmsgs."  As long as these
"Tmsgs" are invisible, the people on Twitter will believe it.  We can
lock-down the entire world, and make people shut off all the computers
on Earth!  We'll use the Defense Production Act to manufacture millions
of tinfoil hats (called "Mount Points") to block all the Tmsgs from
Outer Space, and tell people that it's dangerous to come within 6 feet
of a smartphone without wearing a Mount Point.  Then, exactly one week
after Skip Tavakkolian is declared Supreme Commander of the Internet,
Bell Labs (which Twitter users will believe still exists) announces its
developement of a "9front Space Force Edition" which is 90% effective at
generating Rmsgs that neutralize the deadly Tmsgs.  Because the ISOs
need to be stored in liquid nitrogen, however, we'll have to mobilize
the military to blanket the countryside, reaming every HPFS partition it
can find.  Then, every computer will be running Plan 9!  Plan 9 will
conquor Georgia, and then conquer the world!  Mwwwwahaaahaahaaa!

Sounds like a great way to promote our favorite operating system.
Wouldn't you agree?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 announcements on twitter
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-11-18  2:34 ` ori
From: ori @ 2020-11-18  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skip.tavakkolian, 9fans

Quoth Skip Tavakkolian <skip.tavakkolian@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> FYI, for those of you who are on twitter, I've set up the twitter handle
> @Plan9_OS to push news and announcements to the community.   Please
> consider following it; and if you tweet about Plan 9 or related topics,
> please try to include this handle in your announcements.

I don't generally twatter, but feel free to tweet about anything I post.