* Re: [HoTT] A small observation on cumulativity and the failure of initiality
@ 2017-10-16 10:21 Thorsten Altenkirch
From: Thorsten Altenkirch @ 2017-10-16 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrej Bauer; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Oct 2017, at 00:49, Andrej Bauer <andrej...@andrej.com<mailto:andrej...@andrej.com>> wrote:
The theorem that beta-reduction preserves matching brackets is  mixing
levels of abstraction in bad way. As we are happy to reason about terms as
trees knowing that we can parse strings into trees, we should think about
intrinsic terms (what Thomas calls "derivations") knowing that by type
checking and scope checking we can convert trees into derivations.
Assigning meaning to purely syntactic entities is a confusing levels of
abstractions in the same way as the matching brackets theorem.

I do not understand these remarks. Did I say somewhere that we should
worry about matching brackets in beta-reductions, or that we should do
semantics at the wrong level of abstraction?

Sorry if this was not very clear. I was trying to make an analogy. Some novice programmers seem to think that strings are the only data structure. From this point of view we may define beta reduction as an operation on strings and then prove that it preserves matching brackets.

I hope we all agree that this makes little sense. Instead beta reduction should be defined on trees or even better alpha-equivalence classes of trees. Analogously we should think of derivations and not preterms when studying the semantics of Type Theory.

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

From: Thorsten Altenkirch @ 2017-10-16 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Polonsky; +Cc: Homotopy Type Theory

Sent from my iPhone

On 16 Oct 2017, at 06:31, Andrew Polonsky <andrew....@gmail.com<mailto:andrew....@gmail.com>> wrote:
In the set-thoretic model -- which is the simplest, most "standard" model one can think of -- the universes are indeed cumulative, and "coherence" is just the observation that conversion (definitional equality) of raw terms is preserved by the interpretation function.

Set theory is a form of a mathematical assembly language where you cannot hide anything. Equalities in the set theoretic translation of Type Theory are accidents of implementation choices. Making them the guideline for the design of Type Theory seems to to put the cart in front of the horse.

In categorical models, strict equality between interpreted objects is perhaps a more subtle concept.

Still, it would seem to be a natural requirement of *ANY* class or flavor of semantics, that expressions which are definitionally equal in the object language, are evaluated to entities which are again (judgmentally) equal on the meta-level.

This really amounts to nothing more than asking that the semantics in question actually validate the conversion rule -- one of the structural rules of the theory.

Best,
Andrew

On Sunday, October 15, 2017 at 11:26:22 AM UTC+2, Thomas Streicher wrote:
>  A quite detailed interpretation of type theory in set theory is presented
>
> in the paper of Peter Aczel "On Relating Type Theories and Set Theories".
>
> On can define directly the interpretation of lambda terms (provided that abstraction is
>
> typed), and using set theoretic coding, one can use a global application operation
>
> (so that the interpretation is total). One can then checked by induction on derivations
>
> that all judgements are valid for this interpretation.

Thanks, Thierry, for pointing this out. But Peter's method does not
extend to arbitrary split models of dependent type theory. What Peter
uses here intrinsically is that everything is a set since otherwise he
couldn't interpret type theoretic quantification.
My interpretation got partial on pseudoexpressions since pseudoterms
can't be understood as pseudo-type-expressions.

I don't see how Peter's method extends to interpretation of
realizability or (pre)sheaf models of dependent type theories not to
speak of arbitrary contextual cats or other split categorical models
of dependent type theories.

Thomas

University of Nottingham.

permitted by UK legislation.

[parent not found: <B14E498C-FA19-41D2-B196-42FAF85F8CD8@princeton.edu>]
* A small observation on cumulativity and the failure of initiality
@ 2017-10-12 18:43 Dimitris Tsementzis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dimitris Tsementzis @ 2017-10-12 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Homotopy Type Theory, Univalent Mathematics