The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: crt0 -- what's in that name?
@ 2023-06-13  0:46 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-06-13  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

>I thought it was pretty well known that it [BSS] stands for, "Block Started (by) Symbol"?

BSS was a "pseudo-operation" in SAP (SHARE assembly program) for the
IBM 704. My recollection is that the assembler manual called it "block
starting at symbol". There was also a BES (block ending at symbol)
pseudo-op. Both reserved a block of memory, with the assembler
assigning the appropriate value to the pseudo-op's label.

The reason for BES was that index registers were subtractive. There
was a loop-ending instruction ,TIX (transfer on index), that decreased
the index by a specified amount and transferred to a specified
location unless the index hit zero, in which case the instruction
counter continued in sequence. BES was originally conceived for
addressing an array stored by increasing subscript but indexed by a
register that counted down. BES was also useful for FORTRAN object
code, which stored arrays backward and kept the true, uncomplemented
subscript in an index register.

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: crt0 -- what's in that name?
@ 2023-06-13 12:10 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2023-06-13 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> Not a citation, either, but I believe the original RUNCOM came from CTSS (https://multicians.org/shell.html),

Yes, the CTSS command "runcom" arranged for commands stored in a file
to be run in the background. Such a file (which could contain at most
six commands) became known as "a runcom".

The term "script" did not emerge until Unix. I vaguely recall that Lee
McMahon coined the usage, but would welcome more reliable info about
its origin.

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: crt0 -- what's in that name?
@ 2023-06-13 10:03 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2023-06-13 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Maybe not really 'defining' but useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crt0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.bss

--
The more I learn the better I understand I know nothing.

* [TUHS] Re: crt0 -- what's in that name?
@ 2023-06-13  1:37 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2023-06-13  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Clem Cole:

> Apologies to TUHS - other than please don't think Fortran did not
> impact UNIX and its peers.

Fortran had an important (if indirect) influence in early Unix.  From
Dennis's memories of the early days of Unix on the PDP-7:

  Soon after TMG became available, Thompson decided that we could not
  pretend to offer a real computing service without Fortran, so he sat
  down to write a Fortran in TMG.  As I recall, the intent to handle
  Fortran lasted about a week.  What he produced instead was a definition
  of and a compiler for the new language B.

(The Evolution of the Unix Time-Sharing System; see the 1984
UNIX System issue of the BLTJ for the whole thing, or just read
https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/hist.html)

Now let's move on to the name `rc'.  Not the shell, but the
usage as part of a file name.  Those two characters appear
at the end of the many annoying, and mostly pointless, configuration
files that litter one's home directory these days, apparently
copied from the old system-startup script /etc/rc as if the
name means `startup commands' (or something beginning with r,
I suppose, instead of startup).  But I recall reading somewhere
that it just stood for `runcom,' a Multics-derived term for what
we now call a shell script.

I can't find a citation to back up that claim, though.  Anyone
else remember where to look?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] crt0 -- what's in that name?