* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-08 12:06 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-08 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the version in p9p is not what you want.

- erik

On Tue Feb  7 22:54:03 CST 2006, tim@nop.cx wrote:

>     that's great to hear. nice job on the work done so far.
>     if i have some time this weekend i'd like to start playing with
>     what's there.

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-11 16:51 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

for the brave, maybe the foolhardy, my current version
is on sources in contrib/quanstro/upas.tar.bz2.

complaints to me.

- erik

On Wed Feb  8 06:07:57 CST 2006, quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:
> the version in p9p is not what you want.
>
> - erik
>
> On Tue Feb  7 22:54:03 CST 2006, tim@nop.cx wrote:
> >
> >     that's great to hear. nice job on the work done so far.
> >     if i have some time this weekend i'd like to start playing with
> >     what's there.

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-10 19:47 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you hit the nail on the head. currently ned's "dot" is always the whole
message.

to fix this one needs to figure out how to cleanly express the currently selected
- text
- header field or message body
- mimepart(s)
- message(s)

On Fri Feb 10 13:40:57 CST 2006, rog@vitanuova.com wrote:
> > nedmail works pretty well. but i think that an interface that low-level
> > needs to be more easily programmable.
>
> i wouldn't mind just a little enhancement of the current nedmail
> command language.  i often find myself wishing i could build up
> regexps sam-style:
>
> .,$g/\[9fans]/v/acme \+ mh/{s stuff; d}

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-08  2:04 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-08  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have been using upas pretty much fulltime on p9p.
although the porting work isn't very presentable,
faces, plumber, acme/mail, upas/^(alias fs marshal ned send smtp)
do work well enough to get by.

- erik

On Tue Feb  7 00:06:03 CST 2006, tim@nop.cx wrote:

>     no and i wasn't suggesting that mh is capable of providing as a
>     rich an interface as upas/fs. just that it is what i prefer when
>     i can't use upas/fs, since people were asking. and Russ was
>     wondering if he was the only one around here using it. :)

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-07  1:05 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

can you cat /mail/fs/mbox/113/subject?

On Mon Feb  6 10:32:25 CST 2006, tim@nop.cx wrote:

>     i've always used mh for mail on unix. i like it, as it gives you
>     many of the same benefits to having a fs interface to your mail
>     that upas/fs does.
>
>     tim

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-07  1:02 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-07  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

nedmail works pretty well. but i think that an interface that low-level
needs to be more easily programmable.

i've experimented a bit with splitting nedmail into seperate programs
and using the shell to glue it back together. the jury is still out.
there's some unix only junk^wcode on sources (mail.pkg.tar.bz2)

- erik

On Mon Feb  6 10:46:16 CST 2006, uriel@cat-v.org wrote:
> I think some people swear by nedmail(1), but it feels bit too rudimentary,
> or maybe I'm just an acme junkie.
>
> I always liked the design of boyd's mace, there is a port to Plan 9
> here: http://www.sitetronics.com/www.insultant.net/code/9mace.bundle
> but it doesn't seem to compile in 4th edition, I have somewhere in my
> TODO list to get it running...  a reimplementation in Limbo is another
> idea I have been toying with.
>
> uriel

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-05  0:47 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-05  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's an outragous amount of spam

On Sat Feb  4 18:37:10 CST 2006, bruce.ellis@gmail.com wrote:
> i find gmail to be a good spam meter.  just never read or delete
> what goes in spam - then the spam folder count tells how many
> you got in the last month (they get auto-trashed after a month).

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-04  4:25 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-04  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've thought about it. the hard part is esentially having the web server
login as the user to access upas/fs.

- erik

On Fri Feb  3 22:11:21 CST 2006, 9nut@9netics.com wrote:
> Funny you should mention this today.  I've been setting up eudora
> and tbird to use imap4 (tls work is yet to be completed)
>
> this made me think.  Is anyone working on a webmail interface? I
> looked at squirrelmail, but it's in php.
>
> another potentially useful thing would be to add 9P to a good smtp
> agent (whatever that is) and wrap it in activex or mozilla plugin.

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-04  3:49 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-04  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can see how well that sometimes works!

- erik

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3706 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Subject: Re: [9fans] acme + mh
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:29:31 -0600

Subject: [9fans] acme + mh

i'm using upas. (well sometimes i cheat and use contrib/quanstro/mail.pkg.tar.bz2
for reply and mime parsing. upas/fs doesn't believe in References or appledouble.)

what upas has on plan9 works pretty well on unix. however, what upas doesn't
do well is folders. search works pretty well, but is limited to "search body" or
"search headers".

upas/fs should support indexed search.

- erik

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> writes

| how easy is it to read mail, refile mail, search mail, etc. Any comments
| on usability? If you do like it, what other mail clients have you used?
| Inquiring, happy-puppy-fatigued minds want to know!
|
| thanks
|
| ron

* Re: [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-04  3:29 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-02-04  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, Ronald G Minnich

i'm using upas. (well sometimes i cheat and use contrib/quanstro/mail.pkg.tar.bz2
for reply and mime parsing. upas/fs doesn't believe in References or appledouble.)

what upas has on plan9 works pretty well on unix. however, what upas doesn't
do well is folders. search works pretty well, but is limited to "search body" or
"search headers".

upas/fs should support indexed search.

- erik

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> writes

| how easy is it to read mail, refile mail, search mail, etc. Any comments
| on usability? If you do like it, what other mail clients have you used?
| Inquiring, happy-puppy-fatigued minds want to know!
|
| thanks
|
| ron

* [9fans] acme + mh
@ 2006-02-04  2:59 Ronald G Minnich
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-02-04  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

how is it working out for people? I have been using Sirius Cybernetics
Thunderbird, which was supposed to be some kind of Miracle Mail program,
and am finding it to be less than perfect. Actually, it kinda sucks. It
has an autocomplete that is wrong in a very annoying fashion, since it
is usually right, but goes wrong in very strange ways, and your mail to
andrey goes to andrew before you know it -- you type andrey, it
autocompletes in some strange way, it ignores the 'y' -- I've tested
this a few times. Happy People Movers have nothing on the Sirius
Cybernetics Thunderbird mail program!

It has a way of deciding that once the network is gone, and you send,
you can never retry the send again in some cases without exiting the
damned thing (it just happened again while editing this message: "the
mail server is gone. It won't be back ever again. It's hopeless. I won't
even try. You humans really enjoy this kind of thing, don't you? I'm so
depressed. I'll just go in a corner and rust" -- I wish!).

The list goes on, but I am overall finding that it is a very happy-puppy
like piece of software, anxious to get in there and do things for you,
making you trip over it, and most of the time making you want to tell it
to shut up and go hide in a corner before you get out a rolled-up
newspaper.

I especially like the way, when viewing messages, you hit 'delete' to
kill the message and move on, and it somehow loses track of what it was
doing, so it's no longer pointing to any message, and you have to grab
the mouse and find a message to select so you can proceeed. Weird. The
gnome library seems to have a lot of this strange corner case behavior.
(the list goes on .... it's interesting to have to resize ethereal
windows so you can get the vertical scrollbar to realize that you just
traced 10,000 packets, and want to see more than the 12 currently shown)

What I want is a mail reader that will ... oh, never mind, I think I
want the macos x mail reader. But who knows, maybe that's as bad as all
the others.