* [Edbrowse-dev] Disabling local echo for password fields
@ 2017-07-03  5:19 Dominique Martinet
From: Dominique Martinet @ 2017-07-03  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edbrowse-dev

Hi all,

(I'm new here, just recently found out about edbrowse and I like the
concept)

This discussion started on github, I will write a short recap for people
not following github issues: https://github.com/CMB/edbrowse/pull/29

Basically, I'd like to disable local echo to keep passwords for
appearing in plain text, so people in the same room will not be able to
glance over my shoulder.
This is consistent with most unix login utilities (initial login, ssh
password prompt, etc)

One of the issue that was raised is that I only made the change for HTTP
auth, but that leaves many password input fields visible so it is a very
incomplete fix.

There are two sides to input fields:
 - the input itself, as things stand, small input fields have to be
entered as a full line e.g. i2=mypass, which cannot be easily hidden as
we read lines one at a time.
CMB suggested adding a new input function, for example 'pi' for 'private
input', that would prompt for the content of the input box and could be
more easily hidden.
If the extra command is a burden, we could make 'i' work again in browse
mode, and decide if there should be local echo based on the input field
type=password

 - the input content printed back out when you display the buffer
content, e.g. 'p' after entering.
This text could be starred out, either based on type=password, or if a
new command is implemented we could just always display stars whenever
that private input command is used (as the user likely would not want
the input of these commands printed)

What are others thoughts of adding such a command?

I like the idea and don't see much downsides, anyone wanting to use
i2=pass still can if they want to and it would be appropriate.
It might be slightly more confusing for new users but I think the
concept of no-echo is common enough in the unix world, I'm not too sure
about windows.

Other points that were addressed:
 - windows users will need a different way to disable echo, I'm not
familiar with windows terminal/input window at all, but I understand the
need. I will split the linux tcsetattr code in a subfunction that will
need a windows equivalent.

 - there is a second patch about adding CURLAUTH_NEGOTIATE back as an
option as I would use it, Adam Thompson disabled it back in 2014;
waiting for his or anyone's input if it is still useful to keep disabled
by default or not.

Thank you for reading,
--
Dominique Martinet | Asmadeus