The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-22 23:39 ron minnich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2023-01-22 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

dc

it prompts with '>>> '

wonder where that came from? First time I've seen it.

Seems to have a certain lack of understanding attached to it.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-22 23:41 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2023-01-22 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

dc on linux still behaves properly.

@ 2023-01-22 23:49 ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2023-01-22 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, ron minnich wrote:

> dc
>>>>

> it prompts with '>>> '
>
> wonder where that came from? First time I've seen it.
>
> Seems to have a certain lack of understanding attached to it.

I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with a
G?  and his version did that.

Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing®™©.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-22 23:50   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-01-22 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

There is a BSDL DC that replaces gnu DC. The >>> is annoying, but gone in
newer versions I believe.

Warner

@ 2023-01-22 23:57   ` Joseph Holsten
From: Joseph Holsten @ 2023-01-22 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

Is this it? https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/bc

@ 2023-01-23  0:07     ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2023-01-23  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Joseph Holsten wrote:

> Is this it? https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/bc

That's the one.  I knew the guy's name started with a G.

How about OpenBSD's, though?  That's ISC-licensed (bc.library has
potential issues but you can use NetBSD's
usr/src/external/bsd/bc/libmath.b instead, it serves the same purpose and
doesn't have a Caldera cloud over it).

-uso.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23  0:15 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2023-01-23  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

dc -V on MacOS shows 4.0.2. Repo link in the output of dc -V.
The current version is 6.2.2 but it doesn't compile on Ventura.

> On Jan 22, 2023, at 3:39 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> dc
> >>>

> it prompts with '>>> '
>
> wonder where that came from? First time I've seen it.
>
> Seems to have a certain lack of understanding attached to it.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23  0:20   ` ron minnich
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: ron minnich @ 2023-01-23  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bakul Shah; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

How do you write a dc that doesn't compile?

The mind reels.

@ 2023-01-23  0:23     ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2023-01-23  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: Bakul Shah, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

anything which links to libreadline...

-G

@ 2023-01-23  0:26     ` Joseph Holsten
From: Joseph Holsten @ 2023-01-23  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

Supposedly https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/contrib/bc is kept up to date, so I’d suspect the issue lies on the macOS side.

@ 2023-01-23  0:39     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2023-01-23  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ron minnich; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Probably because MacOS moved things around or is intent on breaking things?
I didn't investigate. It compiles fine on FreeBSD.

@ 2023-01-23  1:32       ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2023-01-23  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bakul Shah; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Pretty much everything in the dc man page on my mac raises my hackles. Not
limited to changing behavior when you're on a TTY. (Also: NO ONE HAS BEEN
ON A TTY FOR DECADES!)

I am such an old grump.

-rob

@ 2023-01-23  3:07   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2023-01-23  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Steve Nickolas wrote:

> I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with
> a G? and his version did that.

On my ancient MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010, High Sierra 10.13.6):

    mackie:~ dave$ dc
    (^D)
    mackie:~ dave$ dc -V
    dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3

On my ancient FreeBSD server:

    aneurin% dc
    (^D)
    aneurin% dc -V
    dc (BSD bc) 1.3-FreeBSD

Nil prompt in both cases.

> Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing®™©.

Perhaps so, but I try to avoid using Penguin/OS and GNU...  I don't like
its licence conditions ("free" it ain't), and I would rather write my own
libraries than be constrained by Stallman's conditions.

-- Dave

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23  3:11     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2023-01-23  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Horsfall; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 02:07:14PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
> > I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with
> > a G? and his version did that.
>
> On my ancient MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010, High Sierra 10.13.6):
>
>     mackie:~ dave$ dc
>     (^D)
>     mackie:~ dave$ dc -V
>     dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3
>
> On my ancient FreeBSD server:
>
>     aneurin% dc
>     (^D)
>     aneurin% dc -V
>     dc (BSD bc) 1.3-FreeBSD
>
> Nil prompt in both cases.
>
> > Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing???????.

I know this is about dc (which I think is under bc or is it the other way
around?) but to pick on GNU:

slovax ~ 'bc'
bc 1.06.95
Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details type `warranty'.
slovax ~ alias bc
alias bc='bc -ql'

because, well, the same reason I run vi in terse mode.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23  3:32     ` Steve Nickolas
From: Steve Nickolas @ 2023-01-23  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Mon, 23 Jan 2023, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
>> I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with
>> a G? and his version did that.
>
> On my ancient MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010, High Sierra 10.13.6):
>
>    mackie:~ dave$ dc
>    (^D)
>    mackie:~ dave$ dc -V
>    dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3
>
> On my ancient FreeBSD server:
>
>    aneurin% dc
>    (^D)
>    aneurin% dc -V
>    dc (BSD bc) 1.3-FreeBSD
>
> Nil prompt in both cases.
>
>> Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing®™©.
>
> Perhaps so, but I try to avoid using Penguin/OS and GNU...  I don't like
> its licence conditions ("free" it ain't), and I would rather write my own
> libraries than be constrained by Stallman's conditions.
>
> -- Dave

I've dealt with fanboys telling me how to do GPL on my own stuff, and it
left a sore taste in my mouth.  I don't care about the stuff I *use*, but
it did leave me very negative about the GPL itself, and if it seems that
some of the OS-building stuff I've been talking about here and elsewhere
has anything to do with a grudge against GNU,...well...it does.

Still, GNU does seem to have more respect for precedent than a lot of
johnny-come-lately coders trying to reimplement stuff themselves.

-uso.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23  3:38       ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2023-01-23  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

ggm@GGM-802602 ~ % uname && dc --version |egrep git\|dc
Darwin
dc 4.0.2
Report bugs at: https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc
ggm@GGM-802602 ~ %

finley% uname && dc --version |egrep git\|dc
FreeBSD
dc 5.2.2
Report bugs at: https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc
finley%

@ 2023-01-23  3:39         ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2023-01-23  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I should add both were /usr/bin/dc and I do NOT install into system
owned paths on these hosts. (for me Homebrew installs in /opt and
FreeBSD pkg installs in /usr/local)

-G

@ 2023-01-23  3:40           ` George Michaelson
From: George Michaelson @ 2023-01-23  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

I should also also add, Mac has >>> as  Rob noted. FreeBSD doesn't

-G

@ 2023-01-23 13:43       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2023-01-23 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 10:11 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 02:07:14PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, Steve Nickolas wrote:
> >
> > > I think there was one particular dc clone...guy whose name started with
> > > a G? and his version did that.
> >
> > On my ancient MacBook Pro (13-inch, mid 2010, High Sierra 10.13.6):
> >
> >     mackie:~ dave$ dc
> >     (^D)
> >     mackie:~ dave$ dc -V
> >     dc (GNU bc 1.06) 1.3
> >
> > On my ancient FreeBSD server:
> >
> >     aneurin% dc
> >     (^D)
> >     aneurin% dc -V
> >     dc (BSD bc) 1.3-FreeBSD
> >
> > Nil prompt in both cases.
> >
> > > Most Linux versions use GNU's which Does The Right Thing???????.
>
> I know this is about dc (which I think is under bc or is it the other way
> around?)

The other way around. `bc` is a little interpreter that accepts infix
notation and has a fairly complete language built into it that
generates `dc` and delegates to that to do the actual mathematics.

> but to pick on GNU:
>
> slovax ~ 'bc'
> bc 1.06.95
> Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details type `warranty'.
> slovax ~ alias bc
> alias bc='bc -ql'
>
> because, well, the same reason I run vi in terse mode.

Agreed. The copyright banner every time I run `bc` is excruciating.

The `-l` argument came up not too long ago elsewhere; someone asked
why `bc -l` is not the default. For those that don't know, `bc -l`
loads a library of math functions (sine/cosine, arctan, and a couple
of transcendentals) and sets the scale to 20 decimal points. It's very
useful, but I suspect the reason this wasn't the default is that
simple uses that wasn't necessary.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23 13:59         ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2023-01-23 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Back in the day (mid 70s), Brian Kernighan and others from MH used to come
down to udel and talk about unix. CA 1976, udel was an early licensee, or
so we were told.

One of the funniest talks Brian gave concerned looking up words in a
dictionary, said words being all combinations of words you can spell from
looking at a desk calculator upside down. It was a Thing in the 70s, along
with disco balls I guess.

Anyway, he showed what you got when you started up the hopelessly
cumbersome look-up-a-word-at-a-time-in-webster's program that attempted to
be interactive.
"When you start it, it prints out its name and its version -- like we care
-- " -- at the words "like we care", the room just exploded in laughter.
That program was the perfect foil.

Every time I see this kind of ">>>" output from reimplementations of
programs such as dc, my only reaction is "like we care" :-)

@ 2023-01-23 14:15             ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2023-01-23 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Michaelson; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 10:41 PM George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org> wrote:
> I should also also add, Mac has >>> as  Rob noted. FreeBSD doesn't

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what version of macOS you both are running?
My old trashcan Mac (soon to be replaced!) is running the
next-to-most-recent version and doesn't have the `>>> ` prompt. My
laptop, running the latest (Ventura?) does.

I don't think I blame Apple for this, but rather something upstream of them.

        - Dan C.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-23 21:08               ` Joseph Holsten
From: Joseph Holsten @ 2023-01-23 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tautological Eunuch Horticultural Scythians

On Mon, Jan 23, 2023, at 06:15, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 10:41 PM George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org> wrote:
>> I should also also add, Mac has >>> as  Rob noted. FreeBSD doesn't
>
> Hmm, interesting. I wonder what version of macOS you both are running?
> My old trashcan Mac (soon to be replaced!) is running the
> next-to-most-recent version and doesn't have the `>>> ` prompt. My
> laptop, running the latest (Ventura?) does.
>
> I don't think I blame Apple for this, but rather something upstream of them.

Per https://opensource.apple.com/releases/, they switched from
macOS Monterey 12 with GNU bc 1.06 https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/bc/tree/bc-21/bc
to macOS 13 with GH bc 4.0.2 https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/bc/tree/bc-26/bc

I suspect this is similar to the replacement of bash with zsh for GPL avoidance.

Interesting timeline though, https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc/src/tag/4.0.2 was released in 2021-05-01, https://git.yzena.com/gavin/bc/src/tag/5.0.0 in 2021-08-08.

* [TUHS] Re: interesting case of not getting the point: dc on a mac
@ 2023-01-24  0:59                 ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2023-01-24  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society