The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Plan 9 from outer space ?
@ 2020-04-18 16:57 Pierre DAVID
From: Pierre DAVID @ 2020-04-18 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

There is a widespred anecdote that "Plan 9" name comes from the
movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

Since I didn't find anything more than a reference to this
anecdote (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs
for example), I forced myself to watch the movie until the end
(what a pain!).

Guess what? I couldn't find the link between the film and the
beloved OS.

I'm sure there are people here who know more. Thanks in advance
for sharing your knowledge with us.

Pierre

* Re: [TUHS] Plan 9 from outer space ?
@ 2020-04-18 17:20 Richard Tobin
From: Richard Tobin @ 2020-04-18 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre DAVID, tuhs

> There is a widespred anecdote that "Plan 9" name comes from the
> movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

Given that the full name is "Plan 9 from Bell Labs" I don't think
there's much doubt about it.

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

* Re: [TUHS] Plan 9 from outer space ?
@ 2020-04-19  3:09 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-19  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I'll keep it going. rc was a startup script from very early
times in Unix, shortened, as Ken was wont to do, from runcom,
the nearest thing CTSS had to a shell--it could run up to
six prespecified commands in background. The name runcom
came to be applied to the scripts as well as to their
interpreter.

Doug

-------------------------------------

It wasn't my intention.

-rob

@ 2020-04-19 14:35 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2020-04-19 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

I asked a friend who was around at the time (I think he and
Rob worked together at times).  Here's what he recalls:

  I'll keep it going.  rc was a description that it was the worst movie
  ever.  And was for many years listed as the worst system ever (except
  for all the others) in a mish-mash of creative naming...  I have no clue
  if this is true, and I'm honestly having trouble recalling his name.
  It wasn't my intention.

  There was a description that it was a startup script from very early
  times in Unix, shortened, as Ken was wont to do, from runcom, the nearest
  thing CTSS had to a shell--it could run up to six prespecified commands
  in background.  It wasn't a 'big name' like Evi, but I don't know if I buy
  it, that plan 9 from outer space poster hanging.  Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  as all these themes flowed together in a mish-mash of creative naming...
  With a different name, it could be the lack of information, those who
  guess at reasons for naming generate volumes of apocrypha.

  The real reason is usually, ``because''.* Trust me, there are even
  worse movies...  Someone posted some pictures of the names tell you
  anything helpful. Despite the lack of televised sports getting to me
  in these shelter-in-place days, but, I mean, sure, I guess I'll throw
  in some bucks for a pay-per-view of a Pike/Thompson cage match.  FIGHT!
  Followups set.

  Things are named usually because the name is "Plan 9 from outer space
  poster hanging.  None of the office area at Murray Hill to this list.
  Plan 9 is the worst system ever (except for all the others) in a
  knod to Churchill (supposedly based on his comment about Democracy).
  And from there it was 25 years ago and beer was involved).  It makes
  a great story, but I don't think there's much doubt about it.  And was
  for many years listed as the worst movie ever, including the formative
  years of plan 9.  Yes, but is there anything besides the name?  There is
  a widespred anecdote that "Plan 9" name comes from the movie until the
  end (what a pain!).

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON