* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-24  1:51 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-12-24  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	i liked the look of 'charon', until i read the code.

please, do us all a favor and
write a better one.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2003-02-12 21:10 bwc
From: bwc @ 2003-02-12 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

And I'm in Athens, Ga as well.  (Not to be confused with Texas.)

 Brantley

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2003-02-12  0:42 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2003-02-12  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Irrespective of Russ' opinion, the fact remains that this list and many of
> its members are -not- interested in the growth of Plan 9 outside of a
> small research community.

I've never heard what you contributed to any of Plan 9 world.
On the other hand, Russ made many things available to us.
Then, I believe Russ.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2003-02-11 15:01 bwc
From: bwc @ 2003-02-11 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

``Hold it you two!  Plan 9 is both a floor-wax AND a desert topping!''
	-- Chevy Chase, Saturday Night Live

``If you want PL/I you know where you can find it!''
	-- Dennis Ritchie

We at Coraid are commited to using Plan 9 as a development environment,
and as a source of new ideas on designing our products.
As individuals, we have done so since the 1995 2nd Edition.  The
PIX from Cisco was developed using Plan 9, as was the LocalDirector.  That
seems to qualify as real world.

Markets are complex things having a more to do with societal influences
than detailed technology.  How else can we explain VHS, Windows,
and the `Survivors' television show?

This message benefits the new readers of the list.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2109 bytes --]

From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: hangar18-general@open-forge.org, <hell@einstein.ssz.com>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:35:54 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Jim Choate wrote:

> It is important to understand that the real world growth of Plan 9 is in
> direct opposition to the goals and desires of the original developers and
> 9Fans subscribers.

not at all true for us.

ron

* [9fans] Future of Plan9
@ 2003-02-10 17:01 Jaytee
From: Jaytee @ 2003-02-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello everybody!

I'm very green about Plan9.
I justo found it in the net and i'm curious about it's future.
Do you think that is good idea to learn using and programming Plan9?
Is there any future for this system?  If yes then in what industry?
In what kind of machines Plan 9 is used?  In Palmtops?  or maybe
specialized web servers?  maybe in any other industry?
Excuse me my questions, i know they may be silly, i just want to hear
some opinions from people who use Plan 9 in their work places or homes.

Greetings!

Jacek Szydlowski
jaytee@janowo.net

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2001-01-03  1:19 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-01-03  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wish web design professionals would take a few steps
back from Flash and frames. I hate to sound "minimal", but
I would be very with just a Lynx type browser if I could get the
content I really need and not the other stuff that just takes
alot of time to get and sort out.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-24  2:11 Russ Cox
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-12-24  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	wouldn't a mothra port be the deal?

richard miller did this.
i've tried mothra and charon, and
neither satisfies me.  there's
got to be a better way than
the netscape and ie model,
but i don't know what it looks like.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-23 14:40 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-12-23 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For my rudimentary and highly unfinished Acme web browser,
building on the work of Jeff Brown, a summer student here last
year, I just put the links down, again in square brackets, where
the anchor would close, like this: [http://go.here.com].

The file name for the window is the URL.  Lots of other details
remain experimental.

It's fine for simple text, such as
	http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html
but worthless for image-map pages.  Much more
dedicated work is needed before you'd want to live with
it.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-22 14:00 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Take some bigger app (f.e. Netscape) and thing out how could you make
> his menu and control in acme...

>>Just bundling everything into a single program because that's what's
>>gone before isn't learning anything, and isn't advancing the state
>>of the art.

it wasn't state of the art even for the time and systems for
which it was destined.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-22 11:32 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-22 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>Is there an IRC client and/or server yet? RFC1459 IIRC. In unix with
>>netcat and a decent shell a rustic IRC client is a couple screens of code.

beto had an irc client for acme for the old system,
and since irc is apparently text-based that seems a good
thing to try again.  no doubt irc has developed realaudio, its own network graphics,
and quasi-o/s plug-ins with added xml extensions and ircscript meanwhile.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-21 19:21 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>jabber is xml message based so offers much more ...

there are two ways of looking at that...

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-21 19:20 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-21 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>The big problem with all the public source
>>code is that it's so ridiculously big.  Hundreds
>>of lines to deal with byte order issues.

yes, quite.  that's why i'd asked about the spec
for implementing it (not that i am).

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-21 18:30 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2000-12-21 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	is there some spec. for icq (the protocol)?  i've got some old public source code
	but it looks as though they reverse engineered it, and if i were to implement it
	(not that i am) i'd prefer to do it from a spec, and only then look at source
	to see all the places that the spec is wrong or misleading or extended, as
	befits any Internet protocol.

There are only reverse engineered specs.
I wrote a simple client long ago that I could
dig up.

The big problem with all the public source
code is that it's so ridiculously big.  Hundreds
of lines to deal with byte order issues.

Mirabilis seems to have stopped caring about
the clones, though.  They were sending nasty
letters to others three years ago when I wrote
my clone.  Perhaps it has something to do with
the fact that AIM has released their spec.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-21 18:25 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-21 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

is there some spec. for icq (the protocol)?  i've got some old public source code
but it looks as though they reverse engineered it, and if i were to implement it
(not that i am) i'd prefer to do it from a spec, and only then look at source
to see all the places that the spec is wrong or misleading or extended, as
befits any Internet protocol.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3091 bytes --]

From: "Alexander C. Deztroyer" <alex-sci@freenet.co.nz>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:44:53 GMT

> I am still very much at the early learning stage of understanding the
> full potential of plan9. But on a gut level, the word that comes to mind
> is "minimalism". What I mean by this is that if something is not really
> needed, why have it. Acme is cool too. I use MWM on my FreeBSD partition
and like it for
> being simple. Eventually, I would like to set up a home network
> and run it as it was designed but for now I am just getting a feel
> for the terrain. It might be fun to have something like "micq"
> but it's not necessary.

I am a 100% agree with your point. Because ppl from bell lab would rather
use e-mail rather than icq. Well, if you really want to use icq-clone, don't
be shy to write a program or port it to plan 9. It might have use for
somebody. But remember one point: Plan 9 is a system use to serve as a
distributed system, but a personal computing system. If you like the
functions provided by those fancy OSes, by all means change back to it. We
enjoy Plan 9 as it is simple, easy to use (is it really easy for beginners
:-) )

Alex

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-21 17:46 anothy
From: anothy @ 2000-12-21 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i can easialy imagine controlls for a web browser in the
acme structure. you can't have a "back button", but i
wonder what we could get to fill in that function? how
'bout the word "Back"? fill in for all the navigation
functions. the majority of the options could be
relegated to a config file, as they are with Charon. a
"config button" - er, the word Config - could open a new
window with the config file in it.

it's easy to imagine Acme doing all sorts of things
(regardless of whether it's the best idea or not). try
playing around with Acme Mail for a while. for example,
"or when you need ask for a value, string..." you mean
like an email address? well, Acme Mail lets you simply
type it in. there are restrictions, yes,, but it's not
as restrictive as you seem to think. don't think "how do
i provide a check box menu" but rather think about the
functionality you're trying to provide, the information
you're trying to get from one place to the other.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] Re: Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-19 10:48 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2000-12-19 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I could easily imagine a Plan 9 server as the core of a household
>>network.

yes, indeed.

* [9fans] Future of Plan9
@ 2000-12-13 10:49 Stephen Adam
From: Stephen Adam @ 2000-12-13 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all...  I was completely ignorant of the existence of Plan9 until a few
days ago.  It looks very interesting...

Has anyone done an analysis of its long term prospects?  I'd love to read
about that.

How many large Plan9 sites are active?

Thanks,