* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 22:36 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Dan Brown

low blow

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-08 13:45 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-05-08 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But maybe, just maybe, if the community can get its act together to
> support a "codereview" type approach, we can ask Coraid to sponsor the
> minimum resources required by it.  I don't have a clue to the details,
> but I would be thrilled to contribute.

i think you're suggesting using some sort of corporate sponsorship as
an implicit endorsement.  endorsements are for polititians.  :-)

9front does have a lightly used review system.

all 9atom patches are submitted through apatch, and all apatches are
sent to sources klammeraffe 9atom punkt org.  apatch/note can be
used by anyone to post comments about a patch.  these comments are
sent to the list.

9atom is currently single committer, with the possibility of delegation
(like linux).  i'd love to delegate parts of the system.  if you want to
bend or replace apatch to your wishes, i'm all for it.  but i won't accept
dependencies on python or external web sites(see postscript)

> (1) Bell Labs are lagging behind 9atom and 9front in support for a lot
> of hardware (old and new), a situation that, by getting progressively
> worse may cause them to drop out of the race altogether and (2) The
> amount of effort and ego bashing required to bring the different
> releases in line is considerable and no one is likely to take such a
> mission on without knowing that, at minimum, the "owners" of the
> various distributions are willingly supportive of such efforts.

for what it's worth, i review all the changes made to plan 9 and 9front
and apply what makes sense.  david actually has a script that automaticly
packages any changes to sources and creates a 9atom patch.  many thanks
to him.

- erik

p.s. i am not using codereview for two reasons.  1.  codereview might be
neat, but for me it brings all the baggage of hg, but most of the good bits
are left out  2.  i don't want to depend on mercurial, hg, and google's
good graces.  (good grief.)  plan 9 is currently self-sufficient, and for me
this is a first-class goal.

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 23:37 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It's worth remembering that the only reason there was ANY
> available code for the amd64, and initial kernel code to
> boot, was because

Thank you Charles, and everyone else involved. Because of your
contributions I'm able to run cinap's pc64 kernel on my x86_64
machines.

I'll say this again just because it seems to keep getting missed:
That work was only available to us because you made it available.

sl

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 23:29 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> No, it wasn't. There was some confusion over the point that
> Plan 9, unlike some other systems, selects the arch based
> entirely on the running kernel (no 386 binaries running on
> amd64 machines).

Do you recall the reason this guy is even trying to install
Plan 9?

Kernel hacking.

Once he builds the amd64 userland, what does he do with
it? What would be the next step in making use of that userland?
Obviously, not booting a 386 kernel. My comments followed
the context of the conversation from its inception and were
relevant to the replies therein. The back-and-forth with Erik
(and later, you, Charles, etc.) branched out into other territory,
but this whole thread is based on a new guy being given weirdly
cryptic responses in reply to very basic confusion that is easy
to clear up if we just put together words in an obvious manner
and speak clearly. If it's silly to suggest one of the forks,
then it's equally silly to pretend an amd64 kernel is on the
table at all.

The chain was this:

prospective kernel hacker asks about amd64 ->
receives accurate answer ->
someone says no, no ->
explanation of building amd64 userland (with non-Labs code) ->
last minute revelation of relevant facts ->
someone points out that secrets, by definition, are not generally known ->
someone denies the obvious, casts aspersions on the forks ->
weird accusations ->
denials ->
arguing ->
complaints ->
this message

When did anyone plan on telling this guy that an amd64 kernel
is not even on the table?

Remember: The argument against investigating one of the forks
was that he should stick close to the Labs distribution, right?

When I said that people weren't aware of the full situation,
I was referring to the fact that nobody seemed to be aware
this guy had made prior arrangements to do work on Charles'
non-Labs code. He asked a common question about amd64
(ignoring for a moment the confusion about the difference
between VM host and guest CPU as seen by the guest OS) so
people gave him relevant answers. Then we stepped
on the apparent land mine. Now it's the fault of forks
for existing. All because nobody could just say: "Hack
on the 386 kernel because nothing else is in the official
distribution yet."

Why is this stuff always so difficult?

sl

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 21:38 sl
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>  Why is this controversial?
>
> Because you're missing the point, and arguing against a
> position nobody holds.

The original post (in its way) was asking for advice about
an amd64 kernel that is not publicly available. Some people
(not knowing the full situation) offered advice about publicly
available amd64 kernels and were shot down.

Everything else follows from that. I agree, it's a bit
muddled at this point, but I've been responding directly
to things people have said. The mailing lists for each fork
are open to the public. E-mail addresses of principles are
all known. The only people who aren't at the party are the
ones who haven't bothered to show up. Again, where is the
problem? Are we supposed to hire professional coordinators
to make the process seem more official? It seems to me the
sort-of-articulated complaint is that all of this work is
not being conducted under the watchful eye of a centralized
authority.

Do you mean something like patch(1)? With work being
coordinated by staff at Bell Labs?

> What some folks are suggesting is that some coordination
> would yield better results; that we can do better than the
> "everyone going off and doing their own thing" part of the
> above scenarios.

People working on the forks are in constant contact. How could
the situation be improved?

My observation was that secret code helps no one. Maybe the
code is not really secret, but is instead held up somewhere
in the coordination process.

For years, and years, and years at a time.

sl

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 20:56 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> What I know is that I turn on my Thinkpad x230 and everything
>> works. After the boot process finishes I just carry on with my
>> work.
>
> sure that's fine.  but if everyone does that, plan 9 will fall into disrepair,
> because nobody's willing to do the work.

What are you talking about? If everyone fixes Plan 9 to
work on their computers then Plan 9 will fall into disrepair?

What has changed is this: Code is being made available
because some people decided to make their code available.
Notice the key phrase: "make their code available." Anyone can
take that code and do with it whatever they want. The major result
is that now Plan 9 now runs on more computers. Some bugs got fixed.
Some new (useful) programs got written. These things only happened
because those people made their changes available. Otherwise, we
wouldn't even know it had been done. I have trouble seeing this
as a net loss.

On the other hand, innuendo about code that may or may not ever
be released doesn't help anyone, and at this point serves as
little more than the traditional way to end a conversation.
By now this tradition is decades old. Feels great! I agree with
you that over 9,000 private projects that don't communicate with
each other and keep their results secret don't result in progress.
You can tell because the definition says that the results are kept
secret. The difference between that and what is happening with the
forks is that the changes made by the forks (including your own)
are available for anyone to read, use, adopt -- or not -- at their
own discretion. The important morsel to digest here is that the
code is out there for people to evaluate. It's not just a legend.
Not just a rumor. You can read it, compile it, run it; then decide
what to do with it. Again, I have trouble seeing why this is a
problem, or how it makes the situation worse than what we have
already lived with since long before the forks came into
existence.

I hope everyone gets good use out of whatever Plan 9 code
they manage to load onto their computers. I enjoy using Plan 9
and I enjoy talking to people who are still working on Plan 9.

If you want to keep secrets, keep them. But nothing done by
any of the forks is secret. Just take the code and do with it
what you will. Why is this controversial?

sl

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 19:57 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2014-05-07 18:56 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> The forks of Plan 9 exist mainly because people want to
>> run Plan 9 on their computers.
>
> would be nice to put all the hardware support together.

It's all available for anyone to take from the public
repositories. I don't think any of the forks have placed
additional restrictions on what can be done with their
changes.

Enjoy.

sl

* Re: [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-07 18:29 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> if everybody does their own thing, perhaps we spend all our collective
> time doing the same thing, and no progress is made?

Most of the duplicated effort never seems to make it out
to the public, so for users, the point is often moot.

@ 2014-05-07  1:14 sl
From: sl @ 2014-05-07  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> your options are 9atom or 9front.
>

> well no, no they aren't.

What are the other options?

sl

* [9fans] [GSOC] plan9 which arch code to use?
@ 2014-05-06 21:00 yan cui
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: yan cui @ 2014-05-06 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs