The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-26  3:11 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-26  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't wait to see how you all fit remote procedure calls into a file
paradigm.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-27  3:36 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-03-27  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nudging the thread back twoard Unix history:

> I really
> like how blindingly obvious a lot of the original Unix code was.  Not saying
> it was all that way, but a ton of it was sort of what you would imagine it
> to be before you saw it.  Which means I understood it and could bugfix it.

That's an important aspect of Thompson's genius--code so clean and right
that, having seen it, one cannot imagine it otherwise. But the odds are
that the same program from another hand would not have the same ring of
inevitability. As Erdos was wont to say of an elegant proof, "It comes

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-26  3:32 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-26  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Andrew Warkentin

    > especially with one that preserves message boundaries

Records in the file-system! How very Unix-like!

      Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-26  1:35 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-26  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Ron Minnich

    > There was no shortage of people at the time who were struggling to find
    > a way to make the Unix model work for networking ...  It didn't quite
    > work out

For good reason.

It's only useful to have a file-name _name_ for a thing if...  the thing acts
like a file - i.e. you can plug that file-name into other places you might use
a file-name (e.g. '> {foo}' or 'ed <foo>', etc, etc).

There is very little in the world of networking that acts like a file. Yes,
you can go all hammer-nail, and use read() and write() to get data back and
forth, and think that makes it a file - but it's not.

For instance, files, as far as I know, generally don't have timeout
semantics. Can the average application that deals with a file, deal reasonably
with the fact that sometimes one gets half-way through the 'file' - and things
stop working?  And that's a _simple_ one.  How does a file abstraction match
to a multi-cast lossy (i.e. packets may be lost) datagram group?

For another major point (and the list goes on, I just can't be bothered to go
through it all), there's usually all sorts of other higher-level protocol in
there, so only specialized applications can make use of it anyway. Look at
HTTP: there's specialized syntax one has to spit out to say what file you
want, and the HTML files you get back from that can generally only be usefully
used in a browser.

Etc, etc.

     Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-26  1:16 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-26  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Random832

    > Does readlink need to exist as a system call? Maybe it should be
    > possible to open and read a symbolic link - using a flag passed to open

What difference does it make? The semantics are the same, only the details of the
syntax are different.

       Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-24 13:41 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-24 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Random832

    > "a stream consisting of a serialized sequence of all of whatever
    > information would have been supplied to/by the calls to the special
    > function" seems like a universal solution at the high level.

Yes, and when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything look like
a nail.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-23 16:22 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-23 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Nick Downing

    > Programming is actually an addiction.

_Can be_ an addition. A lot of people are immune... :-)

    > What makes it addictive to a certain type of personality is that little
    > rush of satisfaction when you try your code and it *works*... ... It was
    > not just the convenience and productivity improvements but that the
    > 'hit' was coming harder and faster.

Joe Weizenbaum wrote about the addiction of programming in his famous book
"Computer Power and Human Reason" (Chapter 4, "Science and the Compulsive
Programmer"). He attributes it to the sense of power one gets, working in a
'world' where things do exactly what you tell them. There might be something
to that, but I suspect your supposition is more likely.

    > This theory is well known to those who design slot machines and other
    > forms of gambling

Oddly enough, he also analogizes to gamblers!

   Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-22 17:49 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-22 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Tim Bradshaw

    > I don't know about other people, but I think the whole dope thing is why
    > computer people tend *not* to be hippies in the 'dope smoking' sense.  I
    > need to be *really awake* to write reasonably good code ... our drugs
    > of choice are stimulants not depressants.

Speak for yourself! :-)

(Then again, I have wierd neuro-chemistry - I have modes where I have a large
over-sppply of natural stimulant... :-)

My group (which included Prof. Jerry Salzter, who's about as straight an arrow
as they make) was remarkably tolerant of my, ah, quirks... I recall at one
point having a giant tank of nitrous under the desk in my office - which they
boggled at, but didn't say anything about! ;-)

      Noel

* [TUHS]  Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-20 23:28 Doug McIlroy
       [not found] ` <CAH_OBifeRyD__=TKTa=bMtFBMg9LsrCOyB+sSrO54Ezc-+zJbw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-03-20 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The hippie mentality had a lot of influence on everyone in that
> generation - including the computer nerds/hackers.

I'm not sure what hippie attributes you had in mind, but one
candidate would be "free and open". In software, though, free
and open was the style of the late 50s. By the hippie heyday

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-20 22:17 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2017-03-20 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Steffen Nurpmeso

    > This "We owe it all to the Hippies"

Well, yes and no. Read "Hackers". There wasn't a tremendous overlap between
the set of 'nerds' (specifically, computer nerds) and 'hippies', especially in
the early days. Not that the two groups were ideologically opposed, or
incompatible, or anything like that. Just totally different.

Later on, of course, there were quite a few hackers who were also 'hippies',
to some greater or lesser degree - more from hackers taking on the hippie
vibe, than the other way around, I reckon. (I think that to be a true computer
nerd, you have to start down that road pretty early on, and with a pretty
severe commitment - so I don't think a _lot_ of hippied turned into hackers.
Although I guess the same thing, about starting early, is true of really
serious musicians.)

    > "The real legacy of the 60s generation is the Computer Revolution"

Well, there is something to that (and I think others have made this
observation). The hippie mentality had a lot of influence on everyone in that
generation - including the computer nerds/hackers. Now, the hackers may have
had a larger, impact, long-term, than the hippies did - but in some sense a
lot of hippie ideals are reflected in the stuff a lot of hackers built:
today's computer revolution can be seen as hippie idealism filtered through
computer nerds...

But remember things like this, from the dust-jacket of the biography of
Prof. Licklider:

 "More than a decade will pass before personal computers emerge from the
 garages of Silicon Valley, and a full thirty years before the Internet
 explosion of the 1990s. The word computer still has an ominous tone,
 conjuring up the image of a huge, intimidating device hidden away in an
 over-lit, air-conditioned basement, relentlessly processing punch cards for
 some large institution: _them_. Yet, sitting in a nondescript office in
 McNamara's Pentagon, a quiet ... civilian is already planning the revolution
 that will change forever the way computers are perceived. Somehow, the
 occupant of that office ... has seen a future in which computers will empower
 individuals, instead of forcing them into rigid conformity. He is almost
 alone in his conviction that computers can become not just super-fast
 calculating machines, but joyful machines: tools that will serve as new media
 of expression, inspirations to creativity, and gateways to a vast world of
 online information.

Now, technically Lick wasn't a hippie (he was, after all, 40 years old in
1965), and he sure didn't have a lot of hippie-like attributes - but he was,
in some ways, an ideological close relative of some hippies.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Were all of you.. Hippies?
@ 2017-03-20 21:48 Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2017-03-20 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe of interest, here is something spacewarish..

  |I was at Berkeley until July 1981.

I had to face a radio program which purported that..

  Alles, was die digitale Kultur dominiert, haben wir den Hippies
  zu verdanken.

  Anything which dominates the digital culture is owed to the
  Hippies

This "We owe it all to the Hippies" as well as "The real legacy of
the 60s generation is the Computer Revolution" actually in English
on [1] (talking about the beginning of the actual broadcast), the
rest in German.  But it also lead(s) (me) to an article of the
Rolling Stone, December 1972, on "Fanatic Life and Symbolic Death
Among the Computer Bums"[2].

  [1] http://www.swr.de/swr2/programm/sendungen/essay/swr2-essay-flowerpowerdatenterror/-/id=659852/did=18984524/nid=659852/1cbfavu/index.html
  [2] http://www.wheels.org/spacewar/stone/rolling_stone.html

That makes me quite jealous of your long hair, i see manes
streaming in the warm wind of a golden Californian sunset.

I don't think the assessment is right, though, i rather think it
is a continous progress of science and knowledge, then maybe also
pushed by on-all-fronts efforts like "bringing a moon to the moon
by the end of the decade", and, sigh, SDI, massive engineer and
science power concentration, etc.  And crumbs thereof approaching
the general public, because of increased knowledge in the
industry.  (E.g., the director of the new experimental German
fusion reactor that finally sprang into existence claimed
something like "next time it will not be that expensive due to
what everybody has learned".)  And hunger for money, of course,
already in the 70s we had game consoles en masse in Italy, for
example, with Pacman, Donkey Kong and later then with Dragons Lair
or what its name was ("beautiful cool graphics!" i recall, though
on the street there were Italian peacocks, and meaning the
birds!).

--steffen