The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-04 15:05 markus schnalke
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: markus schnalke @ 2020-04-04 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Hoi,

found on Wikipedia:

	As well as the Bourne shell, he wrote the adb debugger
	and The UNIX System, the second book on the UNIX system,
	intended for a general readership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_R._Bourne

Thus I now wonder what the first book on Unix, intended for a
general readership was.

Bourne's book was published 1983.

(``The UNIX Programming Environment'' was published 1984.)

Was it Banahan and Rutter's ``UNIX -- the Book''? It says 1982.

Could anyone share some background on that one? (The authors were
from Bradford University.)

I only have the German translation by Axel T. Schreiner, dated
1984. Haven't read the English original, but Schreiner's version
definitely is worth to read (if you speak German). He added lots
of footnotes, and it becomes apparent that he knows the system
better than the authors. ;-)

I'd like to get an understanding of the books in relation to each
other. How does the Banahan/Rutter book fit into the picture? Why
didn't Bell Labs write a user's book earlier? Were Bourne's and
Kernighan/Pike's books reactions to it?

meillo

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-04 22:41 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-04 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Another book from the same era--quite good--is A Unix Primer
by Ann Nichols Lomuto and Nico Lomuto, copyright 1983.

Before the title page appears an interesting endorsement:
"Prentice-Hall Software Series, Brian Kernighan, advisor

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-14  2:13 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-14  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> Indeed the Unix manuals were available as printed books.  Volume One was
the manual pages and Volume Two the articles from /usr/doc.  I remember
seeing soft-cover bound copies of the 7th Edition manuals, ...
> I think the next time this happened in the exact same way was with the
"Unix Research System Tenth Edition" books published by Saunders College
Publishing in 1990.

Those were the only two that were published as trade books. I still use
the 10th Ed regularly. The 7th Ed was a debacle. The publisher didn't
bother to send us galleys because they had printed straight from troff.
It turned out they did not have the full troff character set, and put
an @ sign in place of each missing character. The whole print run was
done before we saw a copy. Not knowing whether they ever fixed it, I'd
be interested to hear whether or not the botch made it to bookstores.

Doug

* Re: [TUHS] First book on Unix for general readership
@ 2020-04-14 15:10 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2020-04-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> OK, I've dug out my copies. They have perforated, 3-hole punched pages
>  I can't find any obvious typesetting errors.

That sets my mind at rest after three decades. What I saw
back in the day was littered with @ signs, and was not punched
for a ring binder. Thanks for checking.

Doug