* [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-20 20:02 Roshan James
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Roshan James @ 2002-01-20 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Getting started in Plan9
-------------------------
Its been a little over a week since i got my Plan9 working and
I still seem to be in tourist mode.Lots of questions and
a few suggestions:
(I promise I have tried to answer these for myself before
before I am ask them)

It would be great if we have a school boy style step-by-step
getting-off-the-ground tour of plan9, maybe somewhere in the
wiki. I would be glad to do this, if i knew enough.

Graphics
-----------
- I am working with an S3 Trio 64v2 card, the install floppy
gave me 800*600 res,but after installation i am on 640*480 and
i cant seem to be able to change it
aux/vga -l 800x600x8
gives me
'Warning (BUG) : redefinition of aperture does not change
s3screen segment.'
in a black background in the sentre of the screen and an error
message that reads
'aux/vga: vgactlw: <size 800x600x8 m8>: vga already configured'
in the console window. it is a low end card but I believe that
I did have a higher res through the boot disk so it should be
possible here too. how can i change to a higher res ?

- If plan9 is booted through xosl in 640*480 res,plan9 graphics
display ends up corrupt. the bootloader does switch to text mode
before the OS is booted. anyother resolution or a text mode boot
loader does not seem to have a problem.
The right quarter of the screen (approx) seems to be a duplicate
of the band of the screen display between in the left part. (bad
description i know). Anyway to fix this ?

Acessibility
-------------
- How can I read a couple of html docs in Plan9 ?
- Is there a place where the uses of directories the std file system
heirarchy is discussed, esp /n ?
- /n/c: exists, how can i access the extended partitions ?
- How can i access the floppy a: ? /n/a: exists but shows no files.
- How can i access the extended windows partitions ?
- Problem with accessing C: File operations to /n/c: causes a problem
'%mkdir /n/c:/testdir'
'mkdir: cant create /n/c:/testdir: write to hungup channel'
also a black background error message comes (is there a generic name
for these messages ?)
'dossrv 45: suicide: sys: trap fault read addr=0xb pc=0x00004757'
help ?

Shell
------
- How can I find/search for a file in Plan9 ? the usual find /|grep xxx
does not exist here, what is the equivalent ?
- Why doesnt/Can rc have autocomplete and filename completion as in
bash ? This has become so neccessary.

Keys
-----
- Why cant the left/right arrow keys+home+end keys move the cursor,
it is really difficult to edit something by placing the cursor there
with the mouse.
- Unless is it part of a grander plan (no pun intended), can we move
the process interrupt key from Del to something else and have the
conventional functionality of del back ?

General
-------
- Is the option of plan9 default boot in bootsetup (during install)
safe for other OSes that exist on the system ?
- Why arent there more applications and more developers interested
in developing for plan9 ?

Russ, I think it would kill you to keep answering all the newbie
questions. Russ, Imel, Thanks for all the help you have been. I
think the Plan9 faq needs updation with some of the more generic
questions here. This is a lesson that could learned from the Win32's,
if you want the OS to grow, you have to get people comfortable with
it very fast. I think we can make that happen.

Rosh.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
(Lord of the Rings)

* Re: [9fans] Virtual memory in BSD and Plan9
@ 2001-10-25 17:55 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-25 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Could you please recommend me a reading on both architectures to
	understand differences between them. I read here that BSD paging has
	some drawbacks to AT&T one (used in Plan9). And I want to make this
	clear for myself.

The discussions here were talking about many-years-old
systems.  I don't think anyone even mentioned Plan 9's VM system,
which is just about the simplest thing you could imagine.
The BSDs have oodles more ``features.''  I'd look in
www.researchindex.com for the latest stuff, and in McKusick et al.
(Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD OS) for older stuff.
You can decide for yourself whether Plan 9 needs any of it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] architectures
@ 2001-07-12  8:42 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-07-12  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>i'm particularly fond of the acme interface, and i really
>>like the chording (okay, maybe it's not for everyone, but _i_
>>really like it). i'm asking about non-techie folks. for them,
>>wouldn't a single-button interface be simpler to understand?

not necessarily, since the functionality of the extra buttons
must be provided somehow, whether by menus, pop-up menus,
key-mouse combinations, keys alone, or some other way.  much might
depend on the choice of conventions for using more than one button.
that in acme all three buttons select text is a big simplification.
i usually introduce it as follows: ``button 1 selects text, button 2
selects text, and button 3 ...'' and during the following pause
nearly everyone says ``selects text?''.  i then explain
that `of course' each button does different things with
the text selected.  that seems fine.  the chording for cut/paste/copy
takes a little practice, but since it has a `feel' much like grabbing
text from the screen, that also seems fine.   outside acme,
the Blit convention (perhaps adopted from Smalltalk, i don't know)
was something like: button 1 generally selected things, button 2 provided local
operations (usually on the thing selected), and button 3 provided global operations
for the application, with a few exceptions such as paint programs.
most menus were kept fairly small.

i know at least one non- technical user of acme who sends and receives
mail, plumbing photos and other things, and editing quite happily.
other non-technical people i've shown it to wanted to use acme on
their machines for document preparation and email because the
organisation into columns and frames and the use of the buttons was
just so much more effective than their `desktop' or a clutter of
windows.  (they also like the soft use of colour.)
contrary to Tog's advice on this point: with care i suspect
you can make abstractions simple and effective enough without insisting on
drawing a tenuous likeness to something in the `real world'.

* [9fans] bitsy question
@ 2001-06-26 16:33 John Packer
From: John Packer @ 2001-06-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have Plan9 installed on my ipaq, but I don't have a pcmcia sleeve,
or wavelan on my network.

So I have been trying to link the bitsy to my terminal using ppp over
the
serial port. (I made a ramdisk with ip/ppp).

PPP tries to authenticate for 30 seconds (through chap, I think) then
times out.

I've tried running ppp a few different ways, but something like

	ip/ppp -df -b 115200 -p /dev/eia0 -s $user:$secret 135.104.99.5

on the bitsy and something like

	ip/ppp -dfS -b 115200 -p /dev/eia0 135.104.99.1

on the server.

Has anyone tried this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

* Re: [9fans] help, i'm in a wet paper bag and I can't get out
@ 2001-06-12 18:21 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-06-12 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>you could always say "evil crackers attack vitanuova and steal very useful
>>inferno plugIn for IE" should get you on /. and that usually gets a few
>>converts ;)

i suspect we are more worried about ending up in the computing press
with ``vita nuova provides evil crackers with yet another nasty gateway into ...''.
admittedly a very big software company seems to get away with it,
but i suspect that's because they are very big software company, not
because they really got away with it.

in the interim, we'll probably go with an intermediate scheme that i think
will be adequate and be no more subtle for the user than anything else
on the net (ie, subtle enough but they should know by now).

we already did get a large number of downloads after mention on /.,
so that bit was easy.  ``don't they know how wrong this is?''
was one response.  i sometimes think that about computing.

* Re: [9fans] help, i'm in a wet paper bag and I can't get out
@ 2001-06-12 17:17 rog
From: rog @ 2001-06-12 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, that was bugging me too.  But what else can you do if you might end
> up in a subprocess?  You end up with magic to seek the file descriptor
> backwards to cover up the fact that you read too much, and turning off
> buffering on file descriptors where seek doesn't work.

in general you can't do it. there's no way of finding out whether seek
works on a file, as it's done at the client end of a 9p or styx
connection (server just sees a read at a particular offset).  the
bourne shell's built-in read was actually just as bad; it just happened
to work most of the time, so you didn't notice.

> > 	getlines {
> > 		echo line: $line
> > 	} < filename
>
> That seems kind of awkward.  You might not want to do your reads in a
> loop; you might want to do them in multiple places; perhaps inside a
> function.

the basic problem is that due to the nature of the shell, the programs
it invokes can't maintain state from invocation to invocation. so
something like the above construct is the only way AFAIK of doing
buffering properly.

if you don't want your reads in a loop, then you have to sacrifice some
buffering. the inferno read(1) is somewhat different from the plan 9
read, and more like the read(2) system call:

	read 200

will make a single 200 byte read request and write the result to
stdout. at least this doesn't have to read a character at a time, but
it's dangerous for non-record-oriented files, as it might split utf
byte sequences.

although the buffered read with implicit loop looks as if it might be
awkward, in practise i haven't found it to be so.  it does seem to be a
very common way of structuring input-reading programs. and in the
inferno shell, you can always use the tk module and its channels to
change the structure around:

	load tk
	chan lines
	getlines {
		send lines $line
	} < /limbo/com.c &

	subfn readline {
		result = ${recv lines}
	}

	echo first line is: ${readline}
	echo second line is: ${readline}
	echo third line is: ${readline}

whether that's really ugly or quite elegant i'll leave as an exercise
for the reader...

* Re: [9fans] help, i'm in a wet paper bag and I can't get out
@ 2001-06-12 17:00 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-06-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>I've done HTTP, FTP, and RTSP in ksh-88... oh, well.

not OSPF?

* Re: [9fans] help, i'm in a wet paper bag and I can't get out
@ 2001-06-12 14:32 rog
From: rog @ 2001-06-12 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

matt wrote:
> but when can I look forward to signing it and dropping it on a web page and
> using the Limbo plugin for IE ?
>
> that would be pretty useful. Giving clients a url of our IRC server instead
> of saying "download an IRC client".

despite our reticence on the matter, we have been thinking quite hard
about this. the problem is that there are some difficult security
issues that need to be resolved before we do it, none of which have
obvious solutions.

like: what happens if someone puts a limbo app on a web page that takes
up no screen space, but dials out and does nefarious things (e.g.
taking part in a DDOS attack). ok, so if you've got signatures, you
know who purported to sign the app, but what public key infrastructure
do you use? how do you handle key revocation?  i don't think it would
be desirable to produce something as unwieldy (and insecure) as the
stuff used by Windows, but neither does one want to burden the user
more than absolutely necessary.

plus probably a hundred other issues which i've forgotten about for the
moment.

it would be lovely to have limbo applications running inside IE with
access to all available devices (apart from anything, it makes for an
extremely easy-to-install inferno), but until the above problems are
solved, i'm not sure it's a good idea.

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] help, i'm in a wet paper bag and I can't get out
@ 2001-06-12 13:36 rog
From: rog @ 2001-06-12 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> One of the problems the monolithic perl script had was that to add
> functionality they had to kill the bot, change the script and then log in
> again.

to bang on (so to speak) about my personal favourite hammer, this is
something that limbo is well suited for, as it provides dynamic loading
& unloading of modules trivially.

	if ((mod := lookupmod(name)) == nil) {
		mod = load IRCbot "/dis/ircbots/" + name;
		if (mod == nil) {
			sys->fprint(stderr, "cannot find module %s: %r\n", name);
			return;
		}
		stashmod(name, mod);
	}
	mod->functionality();

* Re: [9fans] help, i'm in a wet paper bag and I can't get out
@ 2001-06-12  9:51 rog
From: rog @ 2001-06-12  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sergent@IO.COM wrote:
> {
> 	while () {
> 		line=`{read}
> 		echo line: $line
> 	}
> } < filename

only problem is that's not very efficient, and possibly wrong (for
packet oriented connections, such as UDP), as it can only read one
character at a time...

that buffering problem was the reason i implemented a getlines
primitive in the inferno std module which defines its own loop:

	getlines {
		echo line: $line
	} < filename

still, i'm not sure that shell scripts are the right place to be
implementing network protocols (although i can't say i'm entirely
innocent). dhog made a good suggestion:  that way you can run your
program on any system supported by inferno, which is a nice bonus.

 cheers,
    rog.

[parent not found: <vikki@proweb.co.uk>]
* Re: [9fans] could those of you who have students check this out for
@ 2001-06-09 17:22 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-06-09 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>our computer science department has strong roots in algorithmics.

that might be true, but do the students, in the main, write programs
except those they are required to do for assessments and projects?

* Re: [9fans] new versions of graphics programs?
@ 2000-09-07 21:57 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-09-07 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I started on a couple of the tools.  Since the PIC format is
now largely irrelevant - the standard image format captures
much of its capabilities - it seemed worth retiring the fb
software.  Retiring it also helped keep the distribution smaller
and easier to assemble.  But clearly, some of the tools in
fb/ are worth having.

I worked on a couple of the tools and stumbled into original
bugs that I didn't see how to fix, so that project has stalled.
The shipped gif and jpg tools and the iconv program should
address some of the lower-level needs.  Higher-level
image processing is a project for a dedicated soul; it's a big
job.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Re: Solaris thread scheaduling
@ 2000-08-18 15:34 rob pike
       [not found] ` <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
From: rob pike @ 2000-08-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What, we should use uncooperative threads?
Adversarial threads? Anarchic threads?

I guess I don't know the terminology.  If POSIX threads
are a good thing, perhaps I don't want to know what they're
better than.

-rob