* [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-21 14:04 Andrew Simmons
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2001-09-21 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi

I'm working on a distributed application using C++ and CORBA, and
apart from the sheer mind-numbing complexity of both, I'm finding it
an increasing strain just to lift the books I need to consult - over
1000 pages each. I was wondering if Plan 9 might be worth considering
as a simpler alternative, and I would be interested in the views of
the participants of this news group, especially those of anyone who
has experience of both Plan 9 and CORBA. I'd also be interested in
people's views on the suitability of Plan 9 as a platform for
commercial development - my management might be rather nervous of
using an operating system perceived as too far out of the mainstream.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd be interested to find out why rob
pike spells his name in lower case. Is this a literary device, like ee
cummings, or does Plan 9 not support upper case?

Thanks
Andrew Simmons

* Re: [9fans] Python filesystem
@ 2001-11-28 18:54 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-11-28 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

why not just post a connection to a real shell
in /srv and open it each time you get a request?
then you have a persistent environment.

if you were worried about concurrent access
then i guess i could see something like /net/cs
that just serves conversations, but otherwise
a file system seems like overkill.

* Re: [9fans] Rant (was Re: Plan9 and Ada95?)
@ 2001-11-09 22:26 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2001-11-09 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There's been a lot of noise about how GCC might be more ugly, or
> poorly constructed, or such.

Translation: some people here have opinions that differ from yours.

> I'm asking whether amidst all that noise
> anyone has bothered to see whether it actually performs its job better
> or worse.  It does seem to me to be an important question in
> evaluating tools which one is actually better at the principal job the
> tool is designed to perform.

GCC is painfully slow.  I really don't care if it produces an executable
that's 5% faster, if you're working in a compile-execute-debug-rewrite
cycle, you want that compile step to complete in a reasonable time.
Plan 9's compiler beats GCC hands down on this one.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26 13:24 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-09-26 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Sep 26 05:05:30 EDT 2001, boyd@fr.inter.net wrote:
> > I've been doing a fair amount of thinking about capabilities,
> > mandatory access control (MAC), and security labels, lately.
>
> i recall that jim reeds and ? put some simple, but powerful
> scheme into unix, back in the late 80s.

? would be Doug McIlroy and 'The IX Multilevel Secure Operating System'
CSTR #163 is available in pieces at http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cstr.html.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  6:12 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-26  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry, just after I posted previous mail, I noticed that I'm taking wrong way.
If someone (uninvited) intruded our system, and resources have world-wide
readable permission, s/he can read that.  :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  6:07 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-26  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I seemed to have written a not enough message.

'hidden' in my previous mail means (should be) hidden from the outside user
such as ftp user, html reader, and uninvited intruder.

For an example, if I have something should be public to the members of internal
Plan 9 users, which looks like (world-wide readable)

--rw-r--r-- M 4 okamoto okamoto     87 Apr  5 14:13 plumbing.

'none' user also can read this.  I think you mean, in that case we should have
some group permission to common to 'all' the members.   However, it's combersome
to have such group which includes all the internal members but outside ones.
This will be solved just if we don't have 'none' user.  This is the point I wanted to
write.  Of course I know Plan 9 solved much about the problem of super user by
making the file server standalone, and separated it from terminals etc.

Kenji

PS.  If we have confidence we will not be intruded, this is not a serious problem
of course.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  5:41 geoff
From: geoff @ 2001-09-26  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Kenji, I guess I don't understand your problem.  You say
``someone can enter as 'none' user and read hidden internal data
in a future...''.  If it's hidden internal data, it should be owned
by a group that "none" does not belong to, and world access should
be denied, which stops access by "none" and any other user not in
the group.  So it sounds like you've got ``hidden internal'' [sic] data
that is world-readable (thus neither hidden nor internal) and you're
trying to stop "none" from reading it, which sounds like you're trying
to solve the wrong problem.  Or I have I misunderstood your situation?

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  3:18 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-26  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Partticularly ion the popint
 >they have it per object, and have more variable security schem, or

s/ion the popoint/ in the point/
 sorry

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  3:13 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-26  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks David.

I might have feared too much.   However, when we are considering the
security, we assume we may be intruded by someone with bad will someday.

In the present Plan 9, 'none' user cannot login our system from outside,
I mean other than terminals, which may be enough to prevent accidental
reading the data by such external user.

If the above statement is correct, someone can enter as 'none' user
and read hidden internal data in a future...

I wrote that thing because I've been touched Amoeba5.3 this month,
where they have different security scheme using capability which attracted
me somewhat (as far as I can understand it).  Partticularly ion the popint
 they have it per object, and have more variable security schem, or
in other words, capability.  Then, I thought we can make some change of
security scheme other than just file permission scheme...  Of course,
I don't know this may break the integrity of our system.

That is the story why I wrote the previous message.  I think I understand
your stance, and I agree with you now.

The 'noworld' user may be attractive to open a database for external use,
thanks.

Kenji

PS.  This is not serious but some kind of kidding.  Students will like to find
something interesting which is not similar to us sometime.  S/he can
append joke mail to someone, such as supervisor :-), where s/he has no
bad will though.  ^_^

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  1:48 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-26  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>In fact, we continually reduce the power of none to make it
>less dangerous.

I don't know this is possible or not, however, I don't like to open all
the sources and data to the public from network access like now for
none user.   Can't we restrict the power of 'none' only to exec permition?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  1:34 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-09-26  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I wouldn't get rid of none.  I still like the idea of running
the listener and services that don't need more access as none.
In fact, we continually reduce the power of none to make it
less dangerous.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1585 bytes --]

From: okamoto@granite.cias.osakafu-u.ac.jp
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:26:22 +0900

Thanks Presotto for your elaborated message.

>   export the server to machines you CPU to so that you don't have to
>   depend on the current 'speaks for' relation if you don't want to.

Does this mean we can eliminate 'none' user from Plan 9 system?
I don't like that user, although he is not spade ace. :-)

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-26  1:26 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-09-26  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-09-25 14:29 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-09-25 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>However,
>>its not a substitute for end-to-end encryption.

especially when the bits aren't all on a single wireless network.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-25 14:19 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-09-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think you misrepresent the purpose of security.  Its role is to
prevent us getting work done.  If someone constructs a security
solution that is usable, experts will focus on it like a cat watching
a mouse hole until a fatal flaw is found.  This results in three
things: 1) The technology is disabled, making it impossible to work
again.  2) A solution is worked on, distracting people from getting
regular work done.  3) Finally, a new solution is deployed, requiring
people to spend time updating their systems and networks rather than
getting work done.  At this point, security has failed because people
are working, so the cat goes back to the hole and in a few days the
mouse emerges and is caught and life returns to normal.

So the rule of security is the following: if you are able to work on
something other than security, your system is insecure.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-25 13:42 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-09-25 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

802.11's WEP was partially Lucent's fault, partially a bunch of other companies
that were also on the committee.  WEP stands for wired equivalent privacy.
The intention was to guard against casual snooping.  It was known at its
inception that it was not a wonderful solution.  Unfortunately, it
was sold as much more than that.  And even that fails after the Shamir
and Stubblefield work.  IEEE has a committee trying to address the situation
with better encryption.  After leaving Lucent, I'm no longer in the loop.
The early proposals were flawed and shot down, which means that this
time they're getting better review.

Putting encryption in the network is like firewalls.  You reject stuff
before routing it around.  It also provides some minimal protection
for all the uncontrolled/unprotected systems on the network.  However,
its not a substitute for end-to-end encryption.  It's also painfully
hard to change when flaws are found.  If they upgraded the current
standard to include key distribution (there's already a Lucent product
that does that over WaveLAN) then I'ld be happy to continue using it.
However, I'ld also continue doing my own encryption.  I don't trust
the systems authorized to use our network any more than I trust the
ones that aren't authorized.

The upcoming Plan 9 version, tries to solve some data privacy/integrity
problems by

(1) taking all authentication out of the kernel and the applications
   and centralizing it in an authentication server on every cpu.  The
   intent is to be able to switch algorithms with ease and to allow
   the simultaneous use of multiple algs and protocols.  Also, you can
   export the server to machines you CPU to so that you don't have to
   depend on the current 'speaks for' relation if you don't want to.
(2) encrypt all connections.  At the moment the encryption keys are
   part of the authentication process.  However, we'll probably move
   to just using TLS to encrypt all connections before authentication
   occurs.
(3) secure servers using PAK or SRP to store a user's secrets.  The
   server can be centralized or it could be personalized like a bitsy
   that you keep in your pocket.  It's the user's choice where to
   keep the info; you could type it in every time if you want.

We've got most of it working.  All of our CPU connections have been enrypted
for a while.  Soon the file server ones will also.  We've got to see what
that does to throughput.  We've already noticed that it really slows
down modems that currently get some of their speed by compressing.  That
means we'll probably have to compress also.  Luckily processors keep
getting faster.  All the extra cycles that Windows requires to have drop
alpha blended menus can serve our encryption needs.

Rob and jmk are just now converting our machines to run the new system.
There's a lot of change between 9P2000 and the new security infrastructure
so it'll be a while before we release it.

We (ynl & ehg) have also added IPv6 to the stack.  That hasn't been
merged in yet but we'll do it before the release.

We're currently considering what to do about IPsec.  I really don't like
it as a solution, partially for the same reason I don't like WEP:
its done too low.  However, we'll probably have to do it to
be compatible.  Security associations just bother me because they
represent such a violation of layering.  The advantage is the same
as that of WEP, programs don't have to take part in the security, it
can be done around them.  Also, headers are also encrypted and mac'd
so that a number of attacks, like the SYN one, become much harder.

Anyways, that's the current plan.  Rsc is doing a lot of it from
MIT, I'm doing some from Avaya, and the usual suspects are working
on it from Lucent.

Sorry for the long message.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-25  2:07 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-09-25  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

WEP works incredibly well now.  Imagine all the anguish avoided by no longer
having to arm wrestle the network password out of reluctant administrators
forced by company policy to not give it to you.  Now you can just say,
``Don't get up, I'll fetch it myself.''

Or just look at WEP as the free sample to hook people on the security drug.
Now that they're dependent and it doesn't work anymore they're all
willing to pay big bucks for the hard stuff; IPsec, pptp, TLS, ssh.
It's like a dream come true.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-24 22:46 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2001-09-24 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> tree-borne reproductive organs wrapped in wrinkly wood.

Pressed flowers?

-rob

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-24  9:17 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-09-24  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  I'll definitely try Plan 9 out, but may not be allowed to use it
:  because it is not Object Oriented and because the compiler doesn't
:  support const, both of which are Bad Things. This is completely off

You can tell your boss that Plan 9 is object based, but
tell him/her that

	"...those weird Plan 9 guys refer to their objects as `files',
and to their object servers as `file servers'..."

good luck

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-21 16:11 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-09-21 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  You mean, you're actually at an _academic_ institution, not a
:  psychiatric one?!
:
Some times it looks like... most of the times, actually.

:  ++L
:
:  PS: Jokes asides, what the most recent URL for your kernel commentary,
:  it is high time I made a(nother) serious study of it?

You can find links at http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/
I have not work on it since long ago, though. So you already
may have the last one.

Hope to get some time to get back to it during fall.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-21 15:29 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-09-21 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...I'm finding it an increasing strain just to lift the books I need
// to consult - over 1000 pages each.

Aha! somebody call OSHA! i guess whatever plan 9 costs people
through RSI from chording in Acme is offset by savings in pulled
muscles from lifting those insane reference manuals.
-α.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-21 14:54 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-09-21 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think I should  resign as a professor ☺.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2114 bytes --]

From: Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:29:37 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, andrey mirtchovski wrote:

> when i did a small undergraduate presentation on plan9 (i tried to do
> distributed bioinformatics computations) one of my professors asked me the
> same question: "why not corba?"..

that's why we don't let professors write code.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-21 14:29 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2001-09-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Rob's heritage is Balkan, he's still getting used to vowels.

His name used to be pk

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1572 bytes --]

From: jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 10:26:32 -0400

On Fri Sep 21 10:09:35 EDT 2001, andrew@mbmnz.co.nz wrote:
> On a totally unrelated note, I'd be interested to find out why rob
> pike spells his name in lower case. Is this a literary device, like ee
> cummings, or does Plan 9 not support upper case?

Rob's heritage is Balkan, he's still getting used to vowels.
Give hime some time and he'll get round to upper case.

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 versus CORBA?
@ 2001-09-21 14:26 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-09-21 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Sep 21 10:09:35 EDT 2001, andrew@mbmnz.co.nz wrote:
> On a totally unrelated note, I'd be interested to find out why rob
> pike spells his name in lower case. Is this a literary device, like ee
> cummings, or does Plan 9 not support upper case?

Rob's heritage is Balkan, he's still getting used to vowels.
Give hime some time and he'll get round to upper case.

* Re: [9fans] sam vs acme
@ 2001-07-10 10:32 rog
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: rog @ 2001-07-10 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've not used wily, but IMHO there are some places where a unix-based
acme clone could never approach the real acme, namely those places
where acme leverages the power of plan 9 (e.g. the filesystem
interface, and the stuff you can do with a simple shell command under
plan 9 which is impossible/extremely involved under unix)

much of the power of acme comes from living in happy symbiosis with
plan 9 - acme under unix is kind of like a hacked off limb; it looks
similar to the original, but won't work so well...

> [eg. we had edit interfaces three or was it four years ago :)]

presumably by this you mean the named-pipe RPC interface, not the sam
command Edit command?  (which doesn't seem to be in wily)

  cheers,
    rog.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2001 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] sam vs acme
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:00:48 GMT

anothy@cosym.net writes:

> wily is a good effort, but is far inferior. i don't like using it.

in which way is it /far inferior/ please? [eg. we had edit interfaces
three or was it four years ago :)] sure we don't have a general plumb
mechanism, but we are working on it. can you be specific? i maintain
wily, and i'ld like to make sure it is not "that far inferior" to
acme...

thanks...	oz
--
www.cs.yorku.ca/~oz	 | if you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe
york u. computer science | we'll just have to make some!   -- hobbes

[parent not found: <aam396@mail.usask.ca>]