The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] emacs
@ 2023-08-04  0:04 Will Senn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Will Senn @ 2023-08-04  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

As a longtime user and lover of ed/ex/vi, I don't know much about emacs,
but lately I've been using it more (as it seems like any self-respecting
lisper, has to at least have a passing acquaintance with it). I recently
went off and got MACLISP running in ITS. As part of that exploration, I
used EMACS, but not just any old emacs, emacs in it's first incarnation
as a set of TECO macros. To me, it just seemed like EMACS. I won't bore
you with the details - imagine lots of control and escape sequences,
many of which are the same today as then. This was late 70's stuff.

My question for the group is - when did emacs arrive in unix and was it
a full fledged text editor when it came or was it sitting on top of some
other subssystem in unix? Was TECO ever on unix?

Will

* [TUHS] Re: emacs
@ 2023-08-04  2:17 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2023-08-04  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Will Senn

    > when did emacs arrive in unix and was it a full fledged text editor
    > when it came or was it sitting on top of some other subssystem

Montgomery Emacs was the first I knew of; it started on PDP-11 UNIX.
According to:

  https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history/blob/sources/docs/Montgomery%20Emacs%20History.txt

Montgomery Emacs started in 1980 or so; here:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/unix/emacs/emacs.doc

is a manual from May, 1981.

It had pretty full EMACS functionality, but the editor was not written in an
implementation language of any kind (like the original, and like much later
GNU Emacs); it was written in C. It did have macros for extensions, but they
were written in Emacs commands, so, like the TECO that the original was
written in, their source looks kind of like line noise. (Does anyone young
even know what line noise looks like any more? I feel so old - and I'm a
youngster compared to McIlroy!)

    > Was TECO ever on unix?

I don't think it was widespread, but there was a TECO on the PDP-11 UNIXes at
MIT; until Montgomery Emacs arrived, it was the primary editor used on those
machines.

Not that most people used TECO commands for editing; early on, they added '^R
mode' to the UNIX TECO, similar to the one on ITS TECO, and a macro package
was written for it (in TECO - so again, the source looks like line noise);
the command set was like a stripped down EMACS - about a dozen command
characters total; see the table about a page down here:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/unix/teco/help

All the source, and documentation, such as it is, it available, here:

  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/unix/teco/

but don't even think about running it. It's written in MACRO-11, and it used
a version of that hacked at MIT to run on UNIX. To build new versions of
that, you need a special linker - written in BCPL. So you also need the UNIX
BCPL compiler.

	Noel

* [TUHS] Re: emacs
@ 2023-08-04  2:36 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2023-08-04  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Rob Pike

    > There was a guy in production at Google using Unix TECO as his main
    > editor when I joined in 2002.

Do you happen to know which version it was, or what it was written in?

It must have been _somebody_'s re-implementation, but I wonder who or where
(or why :-).

	Noel