The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-04 17:58 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-09-04 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Henry Bent

    > just because you can find source (or binaries, or CD images, etc.) on
    > the internet, that doesn't make it the least bit legal. ... The concept
    > of "abandonware" has no legal footing whatsoever.

True; but if all the copies of a particular item are discarded, one can make
all the lawyers on the planet as happy as clams, and it won't do a bit of
good. Save the bits, _then_ work out the legal issues, is my thinking on
priorities.

     Noel

(PS: 'Internet' is spelled with a capital; there are many internets, but only
one Internet, just as there are many white houses, but only one White House. If
the technical community, which _does_ understand the difference, can't get it's
act together, how can we expect the media, etc, to do the right thing?)

* [TUHS] Saving the Unix Bits
@ 2018-09-04 20:33 ` Warren Toomey
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Warren Toomey @ 2018-09-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 01:58:04PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> True; but if all the copies of a particular item are discarded, one can make
> all the lawyers on the planet as happy as clams, and it won't do a bit of
> good. Save the bits, _then_ work out the legal issues, is my thinking on
> priorities.

I'll also follow up on Henry and Noel's e-mail w.r.t the Unix Archive that
TUHS provides. The only files in the public archive are ones where the legal
issues have been resolved. I also keep a hidden archive of files where the
legal issues have not been resolved.

As always, if you would like me to keep an off-site backup of your Unix
bits, the hidden Unix archive is write-only. Save the bits, and also
be mindful of the legal issues.

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] Saving the Unix Bits
@ 2018-09-04 20:39   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-09-04 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 01:58:04PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> > True; but if all the copies of a particular item are discarded, one can
> make
> > all the lawyers on the planet as happy as clams, and it won't do a bit of
> > good. Save the bits, _then_ work out the legal issues, is my thinking on
> > priorities.

Amen!!!

> Save the bits, and also
> be mindful of the legal issues.

Exactly -- we do need to be respectful of the legal issues. That is
reality; but as Noel suggest and Warren has demonstrated -- a museum has to
have the object in its posession, before you can argue who owns it ;-)

Clem

ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] Saving the Unix Bits
@ 2018-09-04 20:53   ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2018-09-04 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

One thing I'd like to see saved for the historical value is Pyramid OS/x.
It was one of those things I'd have liked to see the internals of -- but I
wasn't supposed to have that level accesss in Ed Services.

It is an interesting mix of both the SysV and BSD environments and it's a
shame it's probably completely gone now.

I think the last work on it may have been at Siemens, since I think the
last bit of Pyramid that was left was rumored to
go to SVR4 (I was there for the DC/OSx transition -- I worked on the
courseware fixes and beta testing).

I heard from a friend that they may have gone to Solaris before the end
hit.  I think they were swallowed by Fujitsu.

Amazingly, I heard some of my SVR4 courseware stuff ended up in
illustrations used in Solaris courseware.  My name was in the illustration
of the password file.  A trainer hired at least 5 years after me went to
Sun and I hear some of my stuff went along for the ride.

I long wished they had done the full Linux dual universe thing on a *BSD
varient.

I'd be running FreeBSD on my desktop if I could just watch Netflix with
it.  Linux, Windows and MacOS have enough pull for Google to port their
Widevine

Bill

--
  d|i|g|i|t|a|l had it THEN.  Don't you wish you could still buy it now!
 pechter-at-gmail.com

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 01:58:04PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> > True; but if all the copies of a particular item are discarded, one can
> make
> > all the lawyers on the planet as happy as clams, and it won't do a bit of
> > good. Save the bits, _then_ work out the legal issues, is my thinking on
> > priorities.
>
> I'll also follow up on Henry and Noel's e-mail w.r.t the Unix Archive that
> TUHS provides. The only files in the public archive are ones where the
> legal
> issues have been resolved. I also keep a hidden archive of files where the
> legal issues have not been resolved.
>
> As always, if you would like me to keep an off-site backup of your Unix
> bits, the hidden Unix archive is write-only. Save the bits, and also
> be mindful of the legal issues.
>
> Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-06  0:39 ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-09-06  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> (PS: 'Internet' is spelled with a capital; there are many internets, but
> only one Internet, just as there are many white houses, but only one
> White House. If the technical community, which _does_ understand the
> difference, can't get it's act together, how can we expect the media,
> etc, to do the right thing?)

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

At every technical lecture I do, I insist upon Internet, but the younger
generation these days think that they invented it because of Google
browsing etc.

-- Dave, in a grouchy mood having having three teeth pulled out

* Re: [TUHS] Saving the Unix Bits
@ 2018-09-06  0:48   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-09-06  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, Warren Toomey wrote:

> As always, if you would like me to keep an off-site backup of your Unix
> bits, the hidden Unix archive is write-only. Save the bits, and also be
> mindful of the legal issues.

It is really important that Unix history is preserved, lest the
revisionists (they start with an "L") take over.

Disclaimer: I have a hidden archive of some of the "naughty" bits.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05 23:40                           ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-09-05 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> (Henri, you're in copy of this again, because first time I did a Reply
> instead of Reply to list/all. Sorry.)

One of my pet hates is people who use "Reply All" because either they are
too lazy to edit the Reply (and they top-post, too), or the list is set up
that way.

I really don't need my own personal copy, as well as a list copy.

Oh, and people who are too lazy to trim their replies too, because they
are encouraged to top-post.

-- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05 15:43                               ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-09-05 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 9/5/2018 11:26 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> I'm not sure it does. It proves that bugs aren't instantly found,
> true. It doesn't provide perfection, but does make it easier to find /
> fix bugs before the bad guys. How long would such a bug have
> languished it if were buried inside of DCL.B32 instead of being out in
> the open?

It depends on how it was found in the first place. A quick Google
doesn't tell me much about exactly how it was discovered initially. Nor
is there any background information that says it wasn't (or was)
exploited before the announcement. Was it discovered because someone
(Stéphane Chazelas) was just reading open source code? Or was he trying
to do something innocent and it broke in such a way that it was obvious
bash was doing something bad? Or was he investigating a break-in and
found the vector? Serious questions, I'd love to hear from anyone who
knows more.

My original point remains: Open Source doesn't necessarily mean more
secure if a really bad exploit was allowed to exist for 25 years.

No offense intended to anyone on this list.

ak

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05 15:36                               ` Chet Ramey
From: Chet Ramey @ 2018-09-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh, Arthur Krewat; +Cc: TUHS main list

On 9/5/18 11:26 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

>     On 9/5/2018 2:31 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>     > It's the common example that I use to tell people that opensourcing
>     > software makes it more secure because the good guys have access to the
>     > source code at the same time as the bad guys, which gives them a fair
>     > chance to fix bugs before the bad guys use them.
>

>     Bash/Shellshock kinda proves that premise incorrect, although it's
>     pretty much the worst-case example, but still...  ;)
>

> I'm not sure it does. It proves that bugs aren't instantly found, true. It
> doesn't provide perfection, but does make it easier to find / fix bugs
> before the bad guys. How long would such a bug have languished it if were
> buried inside of DCL.B32 instead of being out in the open?

It proves that if there is someone who has an idea, or who thinks about a
thing in new ways, he can verify his suspicions without too much trouble.
The barrier to investigation is lowered.

Chet

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05 15:26                             ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-09-05 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:55 AM Arthur Krewat <krewat@kilonet.net> wrote:

> On 9/5/2018 2:31 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> > It's the common example that I use to tell people that opensourcing
> > software makes it more secure because the good guys have access to the
> > source code at the same time as the bad guys, which gives them a fair
> > chance to fix bugs before the bad guys use them.
>

> Bash/Shellshock kinda proves that premise incorrect, although it's
> pretty much the worst-case example, but still...  ;)

I'm not sure it does. It proves that bugs aren't instantly found, true. It
doesn't provide perfection, but does make it easier to find / fix bugs
before the bad guys. How long would such a bug have languished it if were
buried inside of DCL.B32 instead of being out in the open?

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05 12:55                           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-09-05 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 9/5/2018 2:31 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> It's the common example that I use to tell people that opensourcing
> software makes it more secure because the good guys have access to the
> source code at the same time as the bad guys, which gives them a fair
> chance to fix bugs before the bad guys use them.

Bash/Shellshock kinda proves that premise incorrect, although it's
pretty much the worst-case example, but still...  ;)

Announced in 2014, it goes back to September 1989 (according to a
wikipedia article, so I'm not sure about that date's accuracy).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellshock_(software_bug)

https://www.cvedetails.com/product/47/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html?vendor_id=33
https://www.cvedetails.com/product/17/IBM-AIX.html?vendor_id=14
https://www.cvedetails.com/product/20/HP-Hp-ux.html?vendor_id=10
https://www.cvedetails.com/product/19755/Oracle-Solaris.html?vendor_id=93

It could be argued that the above CVE results are either under-reported
(closed-source), or over-reported (open-source). Or vice-versa ;)

ak

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05  6:31                         ` Gilles Gravier
From: Gilles Gravier @ 2018-09-05  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: TUHS

Le mar. 4 sept. 2018 à 19:45, Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018, 13:40 Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:
>
>> This link :
>> https://vetusware.com/download/SunOS%20Source%20Code%204.1.3/?id=13475
>> seems to have the right file (registration required, but it's free, use a
>> disposable email).
>>
>> Beats my having to find a SCSI adaptor, a QIC-150 drive, and trying to
>> read my old QIC-150 tape with the source code on it...
>>
>> Gilles
>>

> I feel like we've been through this before on this list, but perhaps it
> bears repeating: just because you can find source (or binaries, or CD
> images, etc.) on the internet, that doesn't make it the least bit legal.
> That is clearly the case here. Sadly, there are even higher profile sites
> like the Internet Archive that have this problem too.  The concept of
> "abandonware" has no legal footing whatsoever.
>
> -Henry

Oh I definitely know the sources aren't officially accessible. By the way,
I had copies of them (my QIC tape) when I was a student. I still have the
QIC.

It's the common example that I use to tell people that opensourcing
software makes it more secure because the good guys have access to the
source code at the same time as the bad guys, which gives them a fair
chance to fix bugs before the bad guys use them.

With closed source (SunOS, VMS...) the good guys don't have access to the
source code... but the bad guys will always (either by paying somebody
enough to make a copy for them, or by finding them on some non legitimate
place). As a student I had the source of SunOS (4.1.3) but also VMS (on a
few TK-50 tapes).

For me, that vetusware site is certainly not legitimate... but since I have
the QIC tape at home, I just used it as an easy alternative to having to
get the hardware to read my tape back in working order...

I certainly do not consider it a legally approved way of distributing code
which is, as we all agree, NOT open source.

Gilles

--
*Gilles Gravier*  - Gilles@Gravier.org
GSM : +33618347147 and +41794728437

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-05  0:10                 ` Tony Finch
From: Tony Finch @ 2018-09-05  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS main list

> On 2 Sep 2018, at 06:05, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> wrote:
>
> The E10k was only a 64-core machine on a tight backplane compared to
> other large systems.  It didn't have any of the pressing needs that
> Sequent and SGI did with multi-drawer interconnects to drive
> excellence in NUMA.

When I started work at Cambridge in 2002 our central supercomputer was being replaced with a cluster of Sun Fire E15K machines with a fancy interconnect - it topped out at position 199 on the top500 list https://www.top500.org/list/2003/06/?page=2 with a 300 core configuration. It looks like they never managed to get the whole thing working as a single cluster since the other two thirds of the installation had positions 200 and 201! (The Nov. 2002 top500 list has it in 6 x 144 core shards.) Here’s a news item about it: https://www.cnet.com/news/sun-expands-supercomputer-effort/

> True.  There is also at least one unencumbered strategy such as epoch
> based reclamation which was known about around that time [2]
>
> [2] https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-579.pdf

The big benchmarks in this lovely thesis were run on one of the E15K supercomputer boxes :-)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-04 17:45                       ` Henry Bent
From: Henry Bent @ 2018-09-04 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Gravier; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-04 17:39                     ` Gilles Gravier
From: Gilles Gravier @ 2018-09-04 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevin.bowling; +Cc: TUHS

--

@ 2018-09-04 11:47                   ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-09-04 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-04  9:39                               ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-09-04  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Saturday, September 1, 2018, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 7:50 AM Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com> wrote:
>

>> On Saturday, September 1, 2018, Steve Mynott <steve.mynott@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 15:53, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The BSDs have a less than optimal VM system.  Having SunOS opened up
>>>>

>>> That may have been true in the late 80s and even early 90s but I'd have
>>> thought FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD would have useable VMs by now.
>>>
>>> I've vague recollections that these all originally used the VM from Mach
>>> which did have problems at first.
>>>

> Yes. CSRG used Mach VM because it was available, not because it was
> awesome. The folks at CSRG approached Sun to have them donate their VM to
> BSD, and there were serious talks about doing this until the lawyers got
> involved and explained that would require a serious write down on their
> quarterly report so that nixed the whole thing.
>

>> I recall a more knowledgeable friend complaining about FreeBSD VM in 1994
>>> or so.
>>>

> It used to be downright aweful.
>

>> I think the latter two use UVM and FreeBSD improved their Mach one (which
>>> has a SunOS kvmish API anyway). I've not seen complaints about modern BSD.
>>>

> OpenBSD and NetBSD both moved to uvm.
>

>> Wasn't the whole FreeBSD VM rewritten by John Dyson and David Greenman in
>> the mid-late 90's?  And then further improved by Matthew Dillon.
>>
>> Unfortunately they are not affiliated with the project anymore.  All
>> three had exceptional coding skills.
>>

> With the exception of David, it's not unfortunate at all. Although they
> were good for the project's code, they weren't good for the project. They
> didn't work well with others and caused much more grief than the code they
> contributed. There comes a time when there's just too much drama and the
> rest of the code gets much much better when you aren't always fighting
> drama :(. It was a tough decision to make when I was on the core team to
> show Dillon the door. One not made lightly, nor without a lot of effort to
> work through the issues. In the end, though, we had to part ways. Dillon
> has done well with DragonFly, however.

Well, there are certainly as many sides to this story as there are people
involved.  Same with NetBSD/OpenBSD split.  Let's leave it as that as I
don't believe we have mentioned people on this list so they can't defend
themselves.

--Andy

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-02 19:43                 ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2018-09-02 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 10:05:06PM -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:

> Sorry this is just bogus about being weak compared to Solaris.  Are
> you looking back with rosy glasses or have you scanned the code in the
> past couple years?  I have and there is nothing particularly special
> about Solaris internals here or elsewhere.

I haven't looked at Solaris code; I had just *assumed* that if they
were selling million dollar E10k's, they would have had NUMA support
at *least* as good as SGI's Irix.  And it would have been an excuse
for their pathetic performance on UP and 2-4 SMP systems.

> Keep in mind IBM wants to sell RockHoppers and E980s (4 drawers, 16
> sockets, 768 threads) for dedicated Linux use which have similar
> north/south and east/west off chip networks.  They have a lot of very
> talented people on the firmware, kernel, compilers to make these
> things work fast, including Paul.
> Where you start going beyond Linux-like NUMA IMO is when you get
> Irix-like features of page copying, migration, and multiple advanced
> placement policies.

One thing to consider is that IBM really only cared about optimizing
hardware for DB2, Oracle, and Webshpere.  That's one of the reason why
you didn't see much in the way of innovative file system work, ala
ZFS.  There was no business justification for pouring 100+ engineer
years to develop a next-generation file systesm --- and they had
already done that once already for GPFS, a cluster file system.  As
far as local disk file system was concerned, the only real business
value it had was to serve as a program loader for DB2 and Websphere.  :-)

(I'm exagerating a little for effect, but *only* a little.)

So as far as NUMA was concerned, there was almost certainly not have
been much perceived business value in having sophisticated
auto-migration for arbitrary workloads in the kernel.  Something basic
which was good enough for Oracle, DB2, etc., was all that would be
needed.  (And if you needed to hire consultants from IBM Global
Services to mind-meld with the configuration documentation in order to
get the best out of your Rockhopper.... well, shucks, darn.  :-)

At IBM the business people really did make the funding decisions of
what to work on.  ZFS could have never happened at IBM because no one
would have thought that a even a tiny number of IBM's current or
potential customer base would abandon AIX or Linux and switch to
Solaris, or buy Sun hardware instead of IBM hardware --- just for the
sake of ZFS.  And that's how decision-makers at IBM really thought.
(And to be fair to those decision-makers, IBM is still in business as
a free-standing business --- and Sun is not.)

  			     	     	- Ted

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-02  5:05               ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-09-02  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 3:19 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
>> > This is pure fantasy.  To understand Linux performance on high core
>> > count and multi-socket machines is to have at least passing knowledge
>> > of Paul McKenney's genius work on RCU [1] and NUMA [2] at Sequent [3]
>> > and on Linux.  IBM bought Sequent, made a favorable patent grant of
>> > RCU for Linux, and the rest history.
>>
>> Thanks :) - I'm basing this on Oracle database performance, for the most
>> part, and it's weird way of supporting NUMA on Linux in a bass-ackwards sort
>> of way. Nothing I see in the latest RedHat/CentOS tells me it even cares
>> about NUMA, but maybe that's more of their "we know better than you"
>> mentality and it's all hidden under the covers somewhere.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if Linux's NUMA performance is pretty weak
> compared to Solaris.  There was an attempt to try to make NUMA work
> well on Linux, with a lot of the effort coming from IBM and SGI, but
> that effort was overtaken by events.  Back in Sequent's day, the
> remote to local memory latency was ten to one, so making the system
> NUMA aware was critical.  But by early 2000's, the remote to local
> ratio was under 3:1 (or 2:1) for 4 socket systems, and with AMD's
> "Sufficiently Uniform Memory Organization" (SUMO), the ratio was under
> 1.5:1 or less.

Sorry this is just bogus about being weak compared to Solaris.  Are
you looking back with rosy glasses or have you scanned the code in the
past couple years?  I have and there is nothing particularly special
about Solaris internals here or elsewhere.  In fact, there are a lot
of pessimization all over the place.  As Larry said, a lot of folks in
the Linux community clearly cared about performance.  Although the
Solaris code is fairly clean It's not clear Sun valued performance at
all.  A stroll through arch/*/include/asm/ was enough to convince me
of Larry's claims.  I'm not a Linux fanboy but credit goes where it's
due.

Solaris has lgroups, which are a clean design but that is the extent
of its NUMA support, one shot at placement and scheduling.  Linux has
a NUMA allocator, aware scheduler, NUMA-optimized spinlocks and
mutexes, various subsystems correctly use the primitives, and can use
cgroups to contain or gang things.  There is a userland policy tool
called numad that tries to add some additional runtime affinity and
movement policy decisions.

I agree that architecturally Linux NUMA is nowhere near where Sequent
and especially SGI was.  And the reasons you cite are valid, Linux
implementation is good for maybe 8-16 sockets of modern core count
with a much tighter off chip network than the big dogs were building.

Keep in mind IBM wants to sell RockHoppers and E980s (4 drawers, 16
sockets, 768 threads) for dedicated Linux use which have similar
north/south and east/west off chip networks.  They have a lot of very
talented people on the firmware, kernel, compilers to make these
things work fast, including Paul.

> The main reason for this was that Windows was (and as far as I know,
> still is) NUMA oblivious.  So x86 chip and motherboard designers
> solved the problem, by brute foruce, in hardware.  So by 2003 or 2004,
> the Linux Scalability Effort had more or less petered out.  (You can
> see the leftover remnants at http://lse.sourceforge.net)

Windows' NUMA support is on par with Solaris insofar as there is
domain aware memory allocator and scheduler hierarchy that takes the
domain (and SMT etc) into account.  What Windows lacks is the finely
tuned concurrency primitives and everything else Linux has done..
which Solaris lacks as well.  I'm not even talking about RCU (or epoch
based reclamation or proxy collection or hazard pointers, at least one
of which is not patent encumbered), I'm just talking about the quality
of primitives like spinlocks and mutex and rwlock.  There are big
tradeoffs to the implementations of these in terms of fairness,
progress guarantees, and thread scalability.  Linux leads the pack by
a long shot in this department.

Where you start going beyond Linux-like NUMA IMO is when you get
Irix-like features of page copying, migration, and multiple advanced
placement policies.

> Fundamentally, the economics of 4 socket and higher machines was such
> that for many workloads, scale out was much cheaper than scale up.  So
> why buy super-expensive IBM X440, x450, and x460 servers, which were
> huge cabinets connected by one or more "scalability cables" (sometimes
> referred to as the "scalability bottleneck"), when most of the time,
> you could just buy a rack of 2U x86 servers which would be much, much
> cheaper?

Agreed, this is why x86 has dominated the server market for a long time.

> There were certainly workloads this wasn't applicable, of course.  But
> when Sun was selling Sun 10k's to web startups during the dot com
> boom, and they were using it to serve web traffic, they probably had
> too much VC money to burn, because that was *not* the most cost
> effective way to do things.

Agreed.  Those big margins must have caused them to take their eye off
what mattered right at the time Linux was getting some momentum from
the big HW vendors.

> Don't get me wrong; the Read Copy Update (RCU) technique was certainly
> very important, and is responsible for much of Linux's SMP scalability
> today.  But these days, when you can get up to 28 cores (56 threads)
> on a single socket, the need for more than 2 socket systems is already
> somewhat niche, and by the time you get to more than 4 sockets, it's
> positively microscopic.  As a result, NUMA support on Linux is
> certainly not as strong as it could be, and it wouldn't surprise me
> that Solaris has developed much better ways of handling the behemoths
> such as Sun Enterprise 10k.

The E10k was only a 64-core machine on a tight backplane compared to
other large systems.  It didn't have any of the pressing needs that
Sequent and SGI did with multi-drawer interconnects to drive
excellence in NUMA.

These are strange times.  Intel's been putting out some real doozy
chips.  The mesh in Skylake is a partial improvement over the dual
rings of Haswell (though they did some goofy things to increase
latency in undesirable ways), and they aren't going to continue to
brute force it like IBM did with their 17 metal layer process node..
many SKUs in Cascade Lake will be a dual die design and cost a
hilarious amount of money.  AMD's EPYC is really bad in this
department too, one EPYC behaves identically to a 4 socket system with
extremely poor inter-die latency [1].  I think POWER9 is universally
better and the high bin chips (22 core, 88 thread, mega cache) are
only around $2500 compared to Skylake's absurd $12,000.  POWER9 is a
single on chip NUMA domain for 24 cores.  Google publicly stated they
are using it for GPU servers, and that all their monorepo is built for
multiple ISAs.  Through the grapevine I've heard gmail is running on
POWER9 as well now.  That is pretty competent, the reason Intel is
sucking so bad is because people allowed themselves such lock in.  A
hyperscaler should be able to change between a couple ISAs as needed
between purchasing cycles.

[1] https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-infinity-fabric-latency-ddr4-2400-v-2666-a-snapshot/

@ 2018-09-01 22:19             ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2018-09-01 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-01 19:32                 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-09-01 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

below...

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 12:35 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> It was that kind of attitude that has pissed me off at every company
> I have ever worked for.  I'm fine with marketing to customers but I
> hate it when people believe their own marketing.  Internally, I think
> you should be very skeptical, judgemental, critical, whatever you want
> to call it, if your code sucks or your hardware sucks, don't pretend
> it doesn't, own it and fix it.  That's how you win.

Amen....
ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 18:38                                 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-09-01 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Mynott; +Cc: TUHS main list

All of those papers are here:

http://mcvoy.com/lm/papers/
	SunOS.nvram.pdf
	SunOS.shlib.pdf
	SunOS.smoosh.pdf
	SunOS.tfs.pdf
	SunOS.ufs_clustering.pdf
	SunOS.vfs_arch.pdf
	SunOS.vm_arch.pdf
	SunOS.vm_impl.pdf

If you have pointers to a paper that is Sun related that I don't have
I'd like to see that.

> <https://web.archive.org/web/20000817230720/http://www.sun.com/smcc/solaris-migration/docs/postscript/vm-impl.ps>
>
> There is a paper on UVM as well.
>
> <https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/usenix99/full_papers/cranor/cranor.pdf>

That's interesting, reading.

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 18:24                               ` Steve Mynott
From: Steve Mynott @ 2018-09-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

There is a paper on the SunOS 4 VM available at

<https://web.archive.org/web/20000817230720/http://www.sun.com/smcc/solaris-migration/docs/postscript/vm-impl.ps>

(for some reason I always forget the ghostview binary is actually called
gv the rare time I use it!)

Some basic grepping suggests at least some of the tags in the paper were
still in use in Open Solaris at:

<https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/tree/master/usr/src/uts/common/vm>

There is a paper on UVM as well.

<https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/usenix99/full_papers/cranor/cranor.pdf>

This says the original 4.4BSD Mach VM suffered from "swap memory leak
deadlock" and claims of its sibling (at least in 1999) that although the
FreeBSD VM is improved that "it still suffers from the object chaining
model it inherited".

The FreeBSD VM was documented before 2013 in

<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/vm-design/article.html>

"Much of the apparent complexity of the FreeBSD design, especially in
the VM/Swap subsystem, is a direct result of having to solve serious
performance issues that occur under various conditions."

--
Steve Mynott <steve.mynott@gmail.com>
cv25519/ECF8B611205B447E091246AF959E3D6197190DD5

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 17:17           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-09-01 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-01 16:35               ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-09-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 09:29:31AM -0700, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> I am surprised how good Sun's technical marketing was for you to think
> this.  Linux has scaled better since the early 2000s.  The Solaris
> x86-64 port has some real gaffes in it to this day at least as visible
> in the OpenSolaris derivative codebases, serialization in the locking
> primitives kind of things.

I think the SPARC bias was very apparent.  Sun loved their own chips, to
their detriment IMO.  I have no personal knowledge of the x86_64 efforts,
but I do know about the Sun i386 efforts.  That was very looked down
upon by the powers that were, the main kernel group, etc.  Those poor
guys had an uphill battle to get anything integrated, nobody wanted it.

So it would not surprise me in the slightest if the x86_64 was a half
assed effort without a lot of attention to stuff like performance.
I don't think they wanted Solaris/x86 to be a success, they wanted
SPARC to be a success.

--
---

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 16:29             ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-09-01 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Y. Ts'o; +Cc: TUHS main list

I am surprised how good Sun's technical marketing was for you to think
this.  Linux has scaled better since the early 2000s.  The Solaris
x86-64 port has some real gaffes in it to this day at least as visible
in the OpenSolaris derivative codebases, serialization in the locking
primitives kind of things.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 8:23 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 06:57:41PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
>>
>> But all that said, you need to be specific about what perf you care
>> about.  These days the kernel is far more complicated, NUMA etc,
>> and you might care about parallel make (I doubt it) or you might care
>> about Oracle or something like that.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if Solaris was more scalable for gazillion
> dollar SMP machines with a huge number of cores.  That was one of the
> reason as I recall why Solaris had a reputation of being slow; being
> scalable to big (and much more profitable) servers was considered more
> important than the smaller systems that were probably more numerous
> (but not nearly as profitable).
>
>                                         - Ted

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 16:27         ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-09-01 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Arthur Krewat <krewat@kilonet.net> wrote:
> On 8/31/2018 5:58 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
>>

>> Solaris was Sys Vr4 (which, if I recall correctly, differed from r3
>> largely due to some stuff being ported over from SunOS).  Both the kernel
>> and user space went to a Sys V compat system, it no longer felt anything
>> like BSD.
>>

> I would be very interested in anyone's recollections of how Solaris
> eventually turned out performance-wise, say version 9+, compared to other
> operating systems. SunOS, Linux, AIX, etc.

Linux started pulling away fast even on high end systems by the early
2000s.  IBM and SGI dumped a ton of money, knowledge, and talent into
this.  By Linux kernel 2.6 the race was entirely won.

After this HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris persist mainly in mainframe-like
vertical stacks used mainly to host mission critical applications that
are sold in bundles or "solutions"

> I find it's about equal, and even exceeds Linux in terms of it's NUMA
> support and multi-processor support. I need to move some systems away from
> Solaris and off to Linux, and I find it's NUMA support lacking in certain
> ways.

This is pure fantasy.  To understand Linux performance on high core
count and multi-socket machines is to have at least passing knowledge
of Paul McKenney's genius work on RCU [1] and NUMA [2] at Sequent [3]
and on Linux.  IBM bought Sequent, made a favorable patent grant of
RCU for Linux, and the rest history.

There is a single feature I have seen in Solaris NUMA that should be
implemented elsewhere.  It does a micro-benchmark on boot to figure
out the inter-core latency map.  On stupid technology like Intel's
ACPI and Xeon Cluster-on-Die and Sub-NUMA-Clustering, you get bogus
data back in the SRAT table describing where the cores are on the on
chip network it just chops things in half and doesn't reflect where
the cores actually were fused off for yield or binning reasons which
is statistically almost always asymmetric.  On better engineered
technology like IBM's POWER8/9 and OPAL firmware, you get the real
locality information of where cores and cache groups actually are.
Solaris' neat little micro-benchmark would work optimally even on the
brain damaged data from Intel.

[1] http://www2.rdrop.com/~paulmck/RCU/
[2] http://www2.rdrop.com/~paulmck/scalability/
[3] http://www2.rdrop.com/~paulmck/techreports/stingcacm3.1999.08.04a.pdf

Regards,
Kevin

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 15:20                             ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-09-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 9:01 AM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 12:43:52PM +0100, Steve Mynott wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 15:53, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> > The BSDs have a less than optimal VM system.  Having SunOS opened up
> > > would at least let people see what they are missing.  Maybe I have
> > > rose colored glasses on but it was the only kernel that came into
> > > focus for me and you could see the architecture from the code.
> > > Everything else seems like a mess to me.
> > >

> > That may have been true in the late 80s and even early 90s but I'd have
> > thought FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD would have useable VMs by now.
>
> I wandered through the FreeBSD VM recently.  Perhaps I'm just old and
> tired but it looked pretty messy to me.  Still Mach based and the
> Mach VM system, which came about at about the same time as the SunOS
> VM system, doesn't remotely compare.  Sun had some exceptional
> talent at the time, there was a reason I fought hard to join that
> group, I wanted to work with people who were better than me.

It is still technically mach based, but it's fixed most of the scalability
issues Mach had (and that MacOS still has).

There's much clutter in the VM, and there's areas that could stand to be
rewritten, or to get at least a good cleaning.

The SunOS vm was far superior in its day, and likely is still cleaner than
what's in FreeBSD. But it can't scale like FreeBSD's vm (or NetBSD's or
even MacOS's) because it hasn't had the same care and feeding for the last
25 years. It's still single threaded and hasn't had the care and feeding to
make it perform well in MP situations. Solbourne spent years hacking it to
make it scale better, but even with 16 processors that was the high end for
them, and they were barely 10x faster than a uniprocessor for many work
loads due, in part, to vm contention limiting scalability. We had 2 8 CPU
machines that could build our software ~20% faster (with netmake) than the
1 16 CPU machine the OS group had, for example... I recall many discussions
with Dave Barak who did the fine-grained work on the 4.0 SunOS kernel
complaining about how many of the clever tricks in different subsystems
that worked great on UP were terrible for MP...

I don't doubt we'd be in an even better place today if we'd started with
the SunOS vm system in 4.4BSD rather than mach. Don't get me wrong. And
I'll not be the first in line to defend its elegance or clarity of design
(in fact, it has many design issues that took a decade to recode to
properly scale, and we're still not done). And lord knows even though I'm
not close to the foremost expert in the vm, I could easily put together an
hour or two talk on how all the areas of the VM that are holding us back.
Yet even with all that, I think that the ugly, warty, co-evolved code we
have in FreeBSD performs better than the SunOS vm code on any objective
benchmark you could have.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 15:01                           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-09-01 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Mynott; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-01 14:32                             ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-09-01 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Kosela; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 7:50 AM Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, September 1, 2018, Steve Mynott <steve.mynott@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 15:53, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
>>
>> The BSDs have a less than optimal VM system.  Having SunOS opened up
>>> would at least let people see what they are missing.  Maybe I have
>>> rose colored glasses on but it was the only kernel that came into
>>> focus for me and you could see the architecture from the code.
>>> Everything else seems like a mess to me.
>>>

>> That may have been true in the late 80s and even early 90s but I'd have
>> thought FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD would have useable VMs by now.
>>
>> I've vague recollections that these all originally used the VM from Mach
>> which did have problems at first.

Yes. CSRG used Mach VM because it was available, not because it was
awesome. The folks at CSRG approached Sun to have them donate their VM to
BSD, and there were serious talks about doing this until the lawyers got
involved and explained that would require a serious write down on their
quarterly report so that nixed the whole thing.

> I recall a more knowledgeable friend complaining about FreeBSD VM in 1994
>> or so.

It used to be downright aweful.

> I think the latter two use UVM and FreeBSD improved their Mach one (which
>> has a SunOS kvmish API anyway). I've not seen complaints about modern BSD.

OpenBSD and NetBSD both moved to uvm.

> Wasn't the whole FreeBSD VM rewritten by John Dyson and David Greenman in
> the mid-late 90's?  And then further improved by Matthew Dillon.
>
> Unfortunately they are not affiliated with the project anymore.  All three
> had exceptional coding skills.

With the exception of David, it's not unfortunate at all. Although they
were good for the project's code, they weren't good for the project. They
didn't work well with others and caused much more grief than the code they
contributed. There comes a time when there's just too much drama and the
rest of the code gets much much better when you aren't always fighting
drama :(. It was a tough decision to make when I was on the core team to
show Dillon the door. One not made lightly, nor without a lot of effort to
work through the issues. In the end, though, we had to part ways. Dillon
has done well with DragonFly, however.

In the last 10 years or so there's been a number of people that have
stepped up and replaced them, most notably Allan Cox and Mark Johnston who
have mad coding skills and can play well with others. Though I'm sure I'm
slighting several people by not mentioning them.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01 13:50                           ` Andy Kosela
From: Andy Kosela @ 2018-09-01 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Mynott; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-01 11:43                         ` Steve Mynott
From: Steve Mynott @ 2018-09-01 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-09-01 10:46             ` Donald ODona
From: Donald ODona @ 2018-09-01 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

At 31 Aug 2018 22:32:06 +0000 (+00:00) from "Cág" <ca6c@bitmessage.ch>:
> Then it was Elvis, nvi was written later on.

"It was originally derived from the first incarnation of elvis, written by Steve Kirkendall, as noted in the README file included in nvi's sources. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvi#Credits_and_distribution

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-09-01  3:23           ` Theodore Y. Ts'o
From: Theodore Y. Ts'o @ 2018-09-01  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: tuhs

@ 2018-09-01  1:57         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-09-01  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Krewat; +Cc: tuhs

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 07:02:36PM -0400, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> On 8/31/2018 5:58 PM, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> >Solaris was Sys Vr4 (which, if I recall correctly, differed from r3
> >largely due to some stuff being ported over from SunOS).  Both the kernel
> >and user space went to a Sys V compat system, it no longer felt anything
> >like BSD.
> >

> I would be very interested in anyone's recollections of how Solaris
> eventually turned out performance-wise, say version 9+, compared to other
> operating systems. SunOS, Linux, AIX, etc.

I did some updating of lmbench [*] when I was dancing with Netflix.  I
need to check that in and publish that because the bits have rotted
since 1995.  I have no idea if that will measure what you want, it's
a bunch of microbenchmarks that measure bandwidth and latency of
everything I could think of: network, disks, file systems, caches,
memory, etc.  It's interesting but might not be so to you.

If you want to know if Solaris is at the same place as Linux, I can
pretty much promise it is not in the "getting out of the way of the
application".  Solaris was known as Slowaris for a reason.  Yeah, I
know it sucked harder in the beginning, but those were order of
magnitude suckages.  Linus always cared about performance, he had
a big hand in lmbench, we both cared.

Linus was about performance like I am about code size.  I ran the
BitKeeper dev team for almost 20 years.  I loved a changeset that removed
more lines than it added.  We got up to about 120K lines of code in the
core and then we stayed there for the next decade, added so much more
stuff but always found a way to delete stuff so we didn't get bloated.

But all that said, you need to be specific about what perf you care
about.  These days the kernel is far more complicated, NUMA etc,
and you might care about parallel make (I doubt it) or you might care
about Oracle or something like that.

--lm

[*] http://mcvoy.com/lm/papers/lmbench-usenix.pdf

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-08-31 23:02       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-08-31 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2018-08-31 22:34             ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2018-08-31 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 8/31/2018 3:30 PM, Cág wrote:
> Jon Forrest wrote:
>
>> Are you quite sure? I remember using BSD on a VAX in about 1978
>> when vi just came out. I'm pretty sure Bill Joy wrote the man
>> page and other documentation.
>
> *Open-source BSD distribution. I think it had some license restrictions
> when the Jolitzes made the 386 port, so they had to put an alternative.
> Then it was Elvis, nvi was written later on.

Those of us who used pre-open-source BSD probably have a different
recollection of what BSD was like than those who came later.

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 22:30           ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-08-31 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

Jon Forrest wrote:

> Are you quite sure? I remember using BSD on a VAX in about 1978
> when vi just came out. I'm pretty sure Bill Joy wrote the man
> page and other documentation.

*Open-source BSD distribution. I think it had some license restrictions
when the Jolitzes made the 386 port, so they had to put an alternative.
Then it was Elvis, nvi was written later on.

--
caóc

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 22:23         ` Jon Forrest
From: Jon Forrest @ 2018-08-31 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 8/31/2018 3:19 PM, Cág wrote:

> Also, I'm using the original vi (ex-vi that is from Heirloom), not nvi,
> as my development platform. Another weird thing: his original vi never
> made it to any BSD distribution.

Are you quite sure? I remember using BSD on a VAX in about 1978
when vi just came out. I'm pretty sure Bill Joy wrote the man
page and other documentation.

Maybe it depends on what you mean by "his original vi".

Jon

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 22:20       ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-08-31 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Forgot to add: thanks for the good read, Larry!

--
caóc

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 22:19       ` Cág
From: Cág @ 2018-08-31 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

Larry McVoy wrote:

> SunOS was based on the BSD code, the entire system was frequently
> described as "a bug fixed BSD".
> Solaris was Sys Vr4 [...].  Both the kernel and user space went to a
> Sys V compat system, it no longer felt anything like BSD.

I find it kinda weird, considering what Bill Joy did for BSD and,
obviously, for Sun. I wonder what he himself thinks about it. Shout out
to Bill if he reads the list.

Also, I'm using the original vi (ex-vi that is from Heirloom), not nvi,
as my development platform. Another weird thing: his original vi never
made it to any BSD distribution.

--
caóc

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 22:02       ` Warner Losh
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-31 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:59 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> A bunch of people stuck around and tried, they really did and I applaud
> them for it but the damage was done.  I was gone by the time ZFS came out
> so I have no idea how that passed through the formal vetting process that
> Sun had in place.  When I was there, if I had proposed a file system that
> wouldn't use the page cache, you'd have to copy from the buffer cache
> into the page cache to get mmap to work, I would have been kicked out
> of the room and probably kicked out of the kernel group.  We had spent
> SO FRIGGING MUCH TIME getting rid of the buffer cache, precisely because
> trying to maintain coherency between the page cache (mmap) and the buffer
> cache (read/write), it was clear that you wanted a unified model.

It's reason #1 why Netflix can't use ZFS: the double copy problem...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 21:58     ` Larry McVoy
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-31 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list, C??g

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 04:34:51PM -0500, C??g wrote:
> Kevin Bowling wrote:
>
> > Sun releasing OpenSolaris when they finally did and under the CDDL was
> > pretty tone deaf to what was going on in the market with Linux, but
> > you have to admire the amount of contract review and legal work that
> > must have taken.
>
> How is OpenSolaris different from SunOS (Sun/Oracle Solaris) anyway?
> Isn't the relationship kinda RHEL-CentOS'ish? I.e. one is community-
> -supported, and another is commercially.

SunOS was based on the BSD code, the entire system was frequently
described as "a bug fixed BSD".  It was, of course, a lot more than that,
Sun dis shared libs, a new (much, much better) VM system, invented the
vnode interface that virtualized file systems, BSD had none of that.

Lots of Usenix papers describing that work here:

SunOS felt very much like BSD, all the stuff you thought would work,
usually did, the user space was very BSD like.

http://mcvoy.com/lm/papers/

Solaris was Sys Vr4 (which, if I recall correctly, differed from r3
largely due to some stuff being ported over from SunOS).  Both the kernel
and user space went to a Sys V compat system, it no longer felt anything
like BSD.

So why would Sun take something that everyone loved and replace it
with that steaming pile of Sys V garbage?  Only the top execs actually
knew the real reason, I'm 99% sure my boss, Ken Okin (VP of all server
hardware), did not know the real reason.  Which was, Sun was in some
financial trouble, I don't know the details, but AT&T bought $200M of
Sun stock at 35% over market to bail them out.  In return, Sun had to
drop SunOS and go with Sys V.  AT&T was betting that Sun would make Sys
V as popular as SunOS.

Didn't happen.  Not even close.  A lot of people just bailed, trying to
work with Sys V was miserable.  It put us backwards at least 10 years and
I'd argue more than that.  The engineers loved SunOS and tons of work
got done on the system that management never asked for, the engineers
really drove the agenda.  When all that work was yanked away, it took
the heart out of engineering.

A bunch of people stuck around and tried, they really did and I applaud
them for it but the damage was done.  I was gone by the time ZFS came out
so I have no idea how that passed through the formal vetting process that
Sun had in place.  When I was there, if I had proposed a file system that
wouldn't use the page cache, you'd have to copy from the buffer cache
into the page cache to get mmap to work, I would have been kicked out
of the room and probably kicked out of the kernel group.  We had spent
SO FRIGGING MUCH TIME getting rid of the buffer cache, precisely because
trying to maintain coherency between the page cache (mmap) and the buffer
cache (read/write), it was clear that you wanted a unified model.

Yet the wise heads in charge approved ZFS.  It boggles my mind.  Yeah,
I get it, it's got lots of nice features.  But at the expense of breaking
one of the cornerstones of the kernel design.

The only thing I can think of is that the people who could see the whole
kernel architecture had left, I can't imagine Kleiman, Gingell, Rosenthal,
Powell, any of the old school distinguished engineers, tolerating that
for 1 second.  So my guess is they were gone and nobody in the vetting
process saw the whole picture any more.

If anyone is lurking on the list and was there for the ZFS work, I'd
love to hear your take on it.  I'm speculating.  It just blows my mind
that something that was one of the main design points for the previous
10-15 years, was ignored.  We're not talking about some obscure device
driver, we're talking about mmap(), which was one of the reasons Sun ran
circles around the other guys, they all had crappy mmap() implementations
that copied.  ZFS went back to that.  Weird.

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 21:57     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-31 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list, ca6c

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 3:36 PM Cág <ca6c@bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> Kevin Bowling wrote:
>
> > Sun releasing OpenSolaris when they finally did and under the CDDL was
> > pretty tone deaf to what was going on in the market with Linux, but
> > you have to admire the amount of contract review and legal work that
> > must have taken.
>
> How is OpenSolaris different from SunOS (Sun/Oracle Solaris) anyway?
> Isn't the relationship kinda RHEL-CentOS'ish? I.e. one is community-
> -supported, and another is commercially.

No. Not even close.

SunOS is BSD based (first 4.2 then 4.3 then with some small amount of
System V code) with a written from scratch vm.

Solaris is sun's do-over based on System V Release 4. It's great leap
backwards. It was a huge slap in the face of the old SunOS crew by inept
management. The final indignity was SunOS 4.1 being rebranded Solaris 1.0,
which was pure marketing...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 21:47       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2018-08-31 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 8/31/2018 5:39 PM, Clem Cole wrote:
> SunOS != is not Solaris
>
> ᐧ

Confusion may arise because the last released SunOS 4.1.4 was called
"Solaris 1.1.2".

Solaris nor SunOS were ever "community supported" although one could
make the case that SunOS was more generally liked ;)

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 21:39     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-31 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list, Cág

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 5:36 PM Cág <ca6c@bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> How is OpenSolaris different from SunOS (Sun/Oracle Solaris) anyway?
> Isn't the relationship kinda RHEL-CentOS'ish? I.e. one is
> community--supported, and another is commercially.

Yikes -- this is like Rolls Royce cutting a deal with GM and produce a new
car based on the Chevy Sububuran, painting it, adding a few details  and
calling it a Silver Ghost.

SunOS != is not Solaris

ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 21:34   ` Cág
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Cág @ 2018-08-31 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

@ 2018-08-31 11:05       ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-08-31 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregg Levine; +Cc: Tuhs

> Hello!
> Of course I am interested. I am as they say, always interested. But I
> also agree with Dave there as well. A copy should be delivered to
> Warren.

Ok, sounds great!

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31 11:01     ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2018-08-31 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tuhs

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 5:50 AM, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2018, Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>
>> I have something called sunos-414-source.tar.gz.  It expands to a
>> solaris_112 directory.  There are sources for kernel, etc, bin ucb, 5bin,
>> usr.bin...  Looks to be sun4 only, no 68k.  No version history.
>>
>> Free to a good home.  (I sent a copy to Kossow years ago.)
>

> Umm, this message is a bit confusing...  Is it a single physical medium that
> you happened to have, or software that you are willing to distribute upon
> some sort of an agreement, or what?
>
> At the very least, it ought to find its way into Warren's hands...
>
> -- Dave

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-31  9:50   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2018-08-31  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

@ 2018-08-31  5:49 ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2018-08-31  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2018-08-31  1:59 ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2018-08-31  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS main list

The effects of copyright on abandonware have been discussed pretty
widely in other communities.  The primary issue is the contracts and
right don't simply expire and it's rare for a company to completely
shutter (i.e. assets including these copyrights are acquired or given
to creditors).

Oracle would need to establish that they have providence over the
files and code, and that exceptions for Novel and other code were
covered by the OpenSolaris rights reviews.  I imagine it might cost
low hundreds of thousands of dollars to do lawyers being what they are
and commercial *nix being such a melting pot of sources.  Since there
is no conceivable revenue stream and Oracle isn't much for goodwill I
am highly skeptical.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>     > From: Warner Losh
>
>     > The trouble, as I was given to understand when I worked at Solbourne,
>     > was that ... There were a number of third party bits and pieces in there
>     > that could not be relicensed ... if there are other IP issues, not
>     > limited ... It's that quagmire that efforts like this will run up
>     > against.
>
> Oh, we'll just ask Oracle for a license 'for all parts of SunOS for which they
> have the ability to grant a licence'.
>
> There's no way I'd want them to have to chase down all the corner cases,
> that's just a way to guarantee it will never happen. I'd want to ask for the
> bare minimum of time/effort on their part.
>
> Anything above that, probably the SCCS stuff would be next on the priority
> list, sounds like.
>
>         Noel

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 21:34 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-08-30 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

@ 2018-08-30 20:43         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-30 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:42 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> So I took us back to BSD + Sun's work.  Which was a more pleasant place
> anyway IMO.

Certainly easier to understand ;-)

ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 20:43           ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-30 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 04:40:49PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:36 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
>

> > As Rob Gingell once said "Bits rot.  Unmaintained source quickly becomes
> > worthless".
> >
> Yep.   So the question goes back to what is SunOS 4.x.y.  You seem to be
> thinking in terms of looking at the kernel from those days (which is a fine
> definition), but others said - hey I want to run this on my X or Y system.
>  That's a different definition I think.

I suspect that if SunOS got any traction it would be the kernel plus
maybe their shared libs and the Linux user space.  And it would need to
be ported to x86_64.

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 20:42       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-30 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 02:38:39PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > I pulled all that crud out, put back the BSD tty code,
> > and I had a SunOS we could have given away.
>
> Why would STREAMS and RFS be a problem post OpenSolaris?

That was then, this is now.  Back then they were definitely a problem.
I nuked all the AT&T Sys V stuff in the kernel because that had perceived
value to AT&T, they still thought Sys V was going to rule the world.

@ 2018-08-30 20:40         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-30 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

@ 2018-08-30 20:38     ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-30 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 2:22 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 02:04:10PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 1:41 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >     > and finding a proper distribution tape to officially release.
> > >
> > > Why do we need that? Can't they say 'any and all versions of SunOS',
> and
> > > that
> > > term ('SunOS') is sufficiently well defined in real-world documents
> (e.g.
> > > Sun
> > > licenses) that that should be 'good enough'.
> > >
> > > It sounds like the _actual code_ is reasonably available, we wouldn't
> need
> > > Oracle to go looking around for it, would we?
> > >

> > The trouble, as I was given to understand when I worked at Solbourne, was
> > that SunOS wasn't just AT&T + BSD 4.2 +  4.3 + awesome hacking at SMI.
> > There were a number of third party bits and pieces in there that could
> not
> > be relicensed, even 28 years ago when things were fresh.
>
> So I've been down this path, it was STREAMS and RFS, and maybe a couple
> of drivers.  I pulled all that crud out, put back the BSD tty code,
> and I had a SunOS we could have given away.

Why would STREAMS and RFS be a problem post OpenSolaris?

> It was back when I was
> writing this:
>
> http://mcvoy.com/lm/bitmover/lm/papers/freeos.pdf
>
> and I needed to be able to show that what I was asking for was possible.
>
> > A quick grep of something that fell off an http server suggests that the
> > number of these is quite limited. However, the files they are on have no
> > other license, even though latter-day versions are available of hack,
> hunt,
> > indent and pax are available (though to be fair, the latter two do give
> > permission explicitly, and a good case can be made for hunt).
>
> So you are including userland.  I'm not sure you need to.  Yeah, there was
> some unicode work done there but quite frankly, I'd just have
>
>         /usr/gnu/bin
>         /usr/bsd/bin
>         /usr/sun/bin
>
> and dump anything questionable in sun/bin.  It's the kernel that was the
> most interesting, next would be the run time loader and shared libraries.
> /usr/bin wasn't that exciting, the BSD purists might want that but I gotta
> believe that BSD has caught up to Sun in 25 years (right???).

grep -r was easy :).

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 20:37 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-30 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS main list

below...

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 3:41 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: Clem Cole
>
>     > The problem is finding some at Oracle that would care
>
> Well, I've got a nephew who's been at Oracle for like 20+ years; he can
> probably point us at the right person.
>
>     > and finding a proper distribution tape to officially release.
>
> Why do we need that? Can't they say 'any and all versions of SunOS', and
> that
> term ('SunOS') is sufficiently well defined in real-world documents (e.g.
> Sun
> licenses) that that should be 'good enough'.
>
> Two issues:  1.) what consitutes release X or Y and 2) sublicenses.

For the former, Sun did have source distributions, typically for
Universities and certain OEMs.  Stellar had a 4.x license for the Sun3s but
I can not tell you which one (we used Sun3's as the porting base and wanted
the basic Sun3 support from SunOS to support it as we developed Stellix).
 For the later, we need to make sure you have the whole thing.   Most OEM's
had stuff from other firms, from compilers to whole subsystems.
ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 20:36       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-30 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 04:33:06PM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:22 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> > So I've been down this path, it was STREAMS and RFS, and maybe a couple
> > of drivers.  I pulled all that crud out, put back the BSD tty code,
> > and I had a SunOS we could have given away.  It was back when I was
> > writing this:
> >
> > http://mcvoy.com/lm/bitmover/lm/papers/freeos.pdf
> >
> > and I needed to be able to show that what I was asking for was possible.
>
> Good to know you think it was possible.   I know in the case of Ultrix and
> HP-UX lots of external folks licenses small things like Mentat, MIPS etc.

At this point, Linux has won, I don't think anyone would care if we got
the whole pile.

@ 2018-08-30 20:33     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-30 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 4:22 PM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> So I've been down this path, it was STREAMS and RFS, and maybe a couple
> of drivers.  I pulled all that crud out, put back the BSD tty code,
> and I had a SunOS we could have given away.  It was back when I was
> writing this:
>
> http://mcvoy.com/lm/bitmover/lm/papers/freeos.pdf
>
> and I needed to be able to show that what I was asking for was possible.

Good to know you think it was possible.   I know in the case of Ultrix and
HP-UX lots of external folks licenses small things like Mentat, MIPS etc.
 For instance, one of the Ultrix and Alpha bug-a-boos was the MIPS
compiler, which leaked into the IP stream along the way.    As far as I
remember from my Locus days when we had just about everybody's sources from
IBM to Sun, the problem was the license was not just the OEM and AT&T,
there was always the sub-licenses from some deal or another that the OEM
had cut at some point.

Clem
ᐧ

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 20:22   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-30 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list, Noel Chiappa

@ 2018-08-30 20:05 ` Earl Baugh
From: Earl Baugh @ 2018-08-30 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs

I’d be interested. Especially for my Sun 1/100

Earl.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 30, 2018, at 3:54 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>> From: Larry McVoy
>
>> I'd really like the SCCS history.
>
> Any idea if that even still exists, or did it get shredded somewhere along the
> way?
>
> Anyway, should I spin up my nephew on trying to find the right person to put
> out a historic, personal-use license?
>
>    Noel

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 20:04 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-30 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: TUHS main list

wrote:

>     > and finding a proper distribution tape to officially release.
>
> Why do we need that? Can't they say 'any and all versions of SunOS', and
> that
> term ('SunOS') is sufficiently well defined in real-world documents (e.g.
> Sun
> licenses) that that should be 'good enough'.
>
> It sounds like the _actual code_ is reasonably available, we wouldn't need
> Oracle to go looking around for it, would we?

The trouble, as I was given to understand when I worked at Solbourne, was
that SunOS wasn't just AT&T + BSD 4.2 +  4.3 + awesome hacking at SMI.
There were a number of third party bits and pieces in there that could not
be relicensed, even 28 years ago when things were fresh. Good luck getting
those third party permissions now... Sun's paid-up Unix license they did
for Solaris would cover any bits of AT&T code that was in there.

A quick grep of something that fell off an http server suggests that the
number of these is quite limited. However, the files they are on have no
other license, even though latter-day versions are available of hack, hunt,
indent and pax are available (though to be fair, the latter two do give
permission explicitly, and a good case can be made for hunt). I have no way
of knowing, however, if there are other IP issues, not limited to unmarked
sources, copyright notices that aren't 'well formed', code that's been
hacked by third parties under a contract granting them copyright ownership
and sun just a license, etc. It's that quagmire that efforts like this will
run up against.

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 19:54 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-08-30 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

    > From: Larry McVoy

    > I'd really like the SCCS history.

Any idea if that even still exists, or did it get shredded somewhere along the
way?

Anyway, should I spin up my nephew on trying to find the right person to put
out a historic, personal-use license?

	Noel

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 19:46 ` Larry McVoy
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-30 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noel Chiappa; +Cc: tuhs

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 03:41:06PM -0400, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> It sounds like the _actual code_ is reasonably available, we wouldn't need
> Oracle to go looking around for it, would we?

I'd really like the SCCS history.

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-30 19:41 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-08-30 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs; +Cc: jnc

@ 2018-08-29 23:09                       ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2018-08-29 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

> On 30 Aug 2018, at 00:43, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:29 PM <arnold@skeeve.com <mailto:arnold@skeeve.com>> wrote:
> Changed the subject line.
>
> Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com <mailto:lm@mcvoy.com>> wrote:
>
> > So I'd go with MacOS is not a fun kernel.  It's pretty close to BSD
> > and I recently wandered through that VM system and I was not impressed.
> > I wish like hell that Sun had fed their VM back to BSD.  Yeah, it wasn't
> > multi processor friendly but someone would have fixed that.
> >
> > The penguin stuff, it's OK.  Not as clean as SunOS by a long shot.
>
> So, is the SunOS code available in a way that would let people hack
> on it? They had ported it to 386 (roadrunner?), so maybe it'd be
> possible to revive it and bring it into the 21st century.
>
> The Googles tells me there's a dozen download places.

I found both 4.1.4 (aka Solaris 1.1.2) and 4.1.3 (which still has the m68k, sun2, and sun3 bits in it).

It’d be quite fun to walk through Bill & Lynne Jolitz’ Dr Dobbs 386BSD articles but with one of these as the starting point.

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-29 14:53                       ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2018-08-29 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-08-29 14:46                           ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-29 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pechter; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

They didn't release the sources to Solaris 11. Anything released prior,
though, remains free.

Warner

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 8:44 AM William Pechter <pechter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Didn't they un-open Solaris 11?

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-29 14:45                         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2018-08-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: TUHS main list

The problem is finding some at Oracle that would care and finding a proper

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:42 AM Dan Cross <crossd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wonder if they would consider doing it now. Oracle, I mean; the Solaris
> code was opened up and an argument could be made that SunOS would be useful
> for historical examination.
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
>> Sun never open sourced it.
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:29:15PM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
>> > Changed the subject line.

>> impressed.
>> wasn't

>> > So, is the SunOS code available in a way that would let people hack
>> > on it? They had ported it to 386 (roadrunner?), so maybe it'd be
>> > possible to revive it and bring it into the 21st century.
>> >
>> > Just a thought,
>> >
>> > Arnold
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> Larry McVoy                  lm at mcvoy.com
>> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-29 14:45                       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-29 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: TUHS main list

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 8:43 AM Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:29 PM <arnold@skeeve.com> wrote:
>
>> Changed the subject line.
>>
>> Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
>>
>> > So I'd go with MacOS is not a fun kernel.  It's pretty close to BSD
>> > and I recently wandered through that VM system and I was not impressed.
>> > I wish like hell that Sun had fed their VM back to BSD.  Yeah, it wasn't
>> > multi processor friendly but someone would have fixed that.
>> >
>> > The penguin stuff, it's OK.  Not as clean as SunOS by a long shot.
>>
>> So, is the SunOS code available in a way that would let people hack
>> on it? They had ported it to 386 (roadrunner?), so maybe it'd be
>> possible to revive it and bring it into the 21st century.
>>

> The Googles tells me there's a dozen download places.
>
> SunOS 4.1 doesn't have 386 support in it. It was removed after SunOS 4.0.
> The Sun RoadRunner wasn't really IBM PC compatible. It had a fair number of
> incompatible bits included in it. It also had a weird BIOS.
>
> There's a lot that's happened in x86 since then. It's unclear how much
> benefit there would be to having the sources. It looks like you'd be much
> better off starting with one of the latter-day BSD implementations to do
> the port, though significant differences exist with the infrastructure so
> it would be far from a drop-in.

Also, a huge difference is that there's *NO* MP support for SunOS.
Solbourne produced OS/MP which was SunOS with fine-grained locking added (I
forget the degree to which it was, but IIRC, there were 'funnels' that used
locks around the different subsystems (so not one big giant lock), not
fine-grained in the sense we use it today. *THAT* source is harder to find
online...

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-29 14:44                         ` William Pechter
From: William Pechter @ 2018-08-29 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross, tuhs

Didn't they un-open Solaris 11?

I wonder if they would consider doing it now. Oracle, I mean; the Solaris
code was opened up and an argument could be made that SunOS would be useful
for historical examination.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Sun never open sourced it.
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:29:15PM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> > Changed the subject line.
> >
> > Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So I'd go with MacOS is not a fun kernel.  It's pretty close to BSD
> > > and I recently wandered through that VM system and I was not impressed.
> > > I wish like hell that Sun had fed their VM back to BSD.  Yeah, it
> wasn't
> > > multi processor friendly but someone would have fixed that.
> > >
> > > The penguin stuff, it's OK.  Not as clean as SunOS by a long shot.
> >
> > So, is the SunOS code available in a way that would let people hack
> > on it? They had ported it to 386 (roadrunner?), so maybe it'd be
> > possible to revive it and bring it into the 21st century.
> >
> > Just a thought,
> >
> > Arnold
>
> --
> ---
> Larry McVoy                  lm at mcvoy.com
> http://www.mcvoy.com/lm

* Re: [TUHS] SunOS code?
@ 2018-08-29 14:43                     ` Warner Losh
                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Warner Losh @ 2018-08-29 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arnold; +Cc: TUHS main list

@ 2018-08-29 14:41                       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2018-08-29 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy; +Cc: TUHS main list

I wonder if they would consider doing it now. Oracle, I mean; the Solaris
code was opened up and an argument could be made that SunOS would be useful
for historical examination.

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 10:41 AM Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:

> Sun never open sourced it.
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:29:15PM -0600, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
> > Changed the subject line.
> >
> > Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So I'd go with MacOS is not a fun kernel.  It's pretty close to BSD
> > > and I recently wandered through that VM system and I was not impressed.
> > > I wish like hell that Sun had fed their VM back to BSD.  Yeah, it
> wasn't
> > > multi processor friendly but someone would have fixed that.
> > >
> > > The penguin stuff, it's OK.  Not as clean as SunOS by a long shot.
> >
> > So, is the SunOS code available in a way that would let people hack
> > on it? They had ported it to 386 (roadrunner?), so maybe it'd be
> > possible to revive it and bring it into the 21st century.
> >
> > Just a thought,
> >
> > Arnold
>
> --
> ---