* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-22 18:28 David Gordon Hogan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-01-22 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Unix systems since around 7th Edition, one can bind any input
> character to the INTR function, and the DEL character was the
> default (somewhat confused by Berkeleyites who tried to change
> to DEC OS conventions: ^C -> INTR, DEL -> char-erase, etc.).
> ^? is just a way of representing the ASCII DEL character using
> printable notation; the actual character is still DEL (0x7F).

What _really_ annoys me is when I hit the BACKSPACE key on
the keyboard, while running some terminal emulator, and it
sends DELETE.  This has a tendency to make me feel homicidal.

Actually, xterm is doing it to me right now.  xev receives the
keystroke correctly as "keycode 64 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace)",
then xterm says, duh, I think you want delete.  Grrrr!

Of course, xterm is configurable through some resource, but
the default should be that backspace is backspace.

* Re: [9fans] POSIXy V7 sh
@ 2003-11-11  1:38 Dennis Ritchie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dennis Ritchie @ 2003-11-11  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 > Rob Pike <rob@mightycheese.com> writes:
 >> it's the v8 shell that i would like to have.

 > Anyone know of any possibility of getting the rest of the research Unix
 > code released in the same way the v7 and prior code is?

 >	- Dan C.

Until the SCO suit I was about ready to quietly slip
the V8 distribution into the TUHS archive under
the kinder-gentler SCO's license.  So far TUHS
hasn't been hassled by the new, wacky SCO,
and I'm hesitant to attract their attention to TUHS.

If Rob or someone else wants the V8 or later shell,
I'd be glad to send it.

	Dennis

* [9fans] 4e sam for unix
@ 2003-08-16 22:03 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-08-16 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Folks, I've put a link to a unix port of the 4th edition's sam on my
web site:

  http://www.cse.psu.edu/~schwartz/sam-4e-unix.tar.bz2

This requires some libraries from Russ' web site, and
a samterm from the netlib (or other) distribution.

* [9fans] Fork: useless and painful?
@ 2003-07-11  2:01 Andrew Simmons
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2003-07-11  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Not to mention the fact that you have to send/receive on sockets
>and read/write on everything else so that an app has to check
>the type of any handles it is passed so that it can use the
>right calls.
Actually, under Winsock2 you can use ReadFile/WriteFile with sockets as well
as file handles. You can also use WaitForMultipleObjects, not on the socket
handle itself, but on an event object which is triggered when eg there is
data available for reading. Admittedly you'd never know this from the
documentation, which says you have to use WSAWaitForMultipleEvents, and use
WSAEvents rather than regular Windows events.

The main problem I have with Windows is not the bazillion parameters for
each function call, which you soon learn to ignore, but the fact that it
seems to consist of a random collection of constantly changing APIs
designed, if that's the right word, by different groups of people who never
talked to each other about things such as a uniform method for reporting
errors.

* [9fans] ipconfig dhcp vs ndb
@ 2003-06-25 20:36 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-06-25 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ipconfig doesn't seem to use ndb when configuring e.g. ethernet.  Is there
any reason not to?  For a standalone system I think ndb would be easier
than hardcoding the numbers in termrc.

* [9fans] mail problems..
@ 2003-06-24 14:41 Apurva Mehta
From: Apurva Mehta @ 2003-06-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been trying to use plan 9 to check my email but I am getting
stuck. I have a pop3 account with gmx.net and here is what I have
typed on the command line to check it..

upas/fs -f /pop/pop.gmx.net/my_user_name

The first time I did that, I was asked for my password. It accepted it
and the I got the term% prompt again.

When I executed 'mail' from acme, it said that I had 0 messages. I
know for a fact that there were messages on the server, why were they
not downloaded?

Also, I am confused about how to send mail using an authenticated smtp
server. What do the different rewrite files do? I have edited my
rewrite.gateway file to point to my smtp server (mail.gmx.net). But
how do I handle authentication? I have also added a 'From' header file
in my /mail/box/user_name/headers file. Will this 'From' header be
used for every email I send from my account?

	- Apurva

* Re: [9fans] The new ridiculous license
@ 2003-06-19  9:34 Keith Nash
From: Keith Nash @ 2003-06-19  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 16:04, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> That is not a license which makes it free.  It is a *contract* with
> consequences; let me be clear -- it is a contract with consequences
> that I am unwilling to accept.

This is an aspect of open-source license wars that I was not previously aware of.

If the license is a contract, that contract is not enforceable as such in court.  The reason (at least in English law, perhaps someone can comment on NY/USA law) is that for a contract to be created, there must be an exchange of value - i.e. Lucent gives you the software, you have to give them something of value (e.g. cash) in return.

Therefore, no license where the software is given away can be a contract: it is merely a grant of rights to the licensor's copyrighted material (and/or patents and trademarks) - which is exactly what Theo would like it to be.

> Or perhaps you guys are utterly blind to what is happening with IBM
> and SCO right now.

The IBM/SCO case is different, because they have an enforceable contract: IBM paid SCO for certain rights.

Keith.

* [9fans] BOF timing
@ 2003-05-30 13:19 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-05-30 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm just checking again -- I'm there from june 7 to june 14. Any interest
in a BOF wednesday or thursday night?

ron

* [9fans] Mp3 Resources
@ 2003-05-29 11:09 mp3
From: mp3 @ 2003-05-29 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 My name is Marc Janeway and I have a site about mp3 and it contains resources related to this and this is the url: "qozi.com/mp3".
 I think our sites are compatible and I would like very much to exchange links with your site: http://plan9.escet.urjc.es/.

 If you don't agree with that, just ignore this message, but if you like the idea you can fill in the form at: http://www.qozi.com/mp3/form.html and you will see your link up on our site in a day or two.

 Also in order for you to link to us you might use this information:

 or you can copy & paste this :

 --START HERE--

 &lt;a href="http://www.qozi.com/mp3/"&gt;Mp3 Resources&lt;/a&gt; - mp3 related news, books and web resources.&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;

 --END HERE--

 Best Regards,
 Marc Janeway

* [9fans] suggestion: avoiding out of date binaries
@ 2003-05-18  1:50 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-05-18  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	I just got bitten recently by a couple of out of date binaries.
All I had to do to `fix' what seemed to be a bug was to recompile a
couple of programs.

What about automating recompilation of out of date programs?
My system is very much up to date wrt sources and it seems
that all of my /386/bin is out of date, sic.

The silly script I attach does pretty well for me to detect out of date
binaries. It would be a matter of recompiling those ones detected after
source code gets changed. I know this would make us pull new binaries
often, but at least it's better for safety.

Even better would be to instruct our mkfiles to compile only thing out
of date and then simply run `mk' in the whole cmd tree; but I dont
know of a clean way of doing it. The only way I know would be to
use of a script like this in `update' targets added to every mkfile.

#!/bin/rc
#
# -q: faster, but you wont know why it's out of date
# -i: to ignore a file you know has changed (eg /sys/include/libc.h)

rfork e

fn usage {
	echo usage: outofdate [-q] [-i ignore] file... >[1=2]
	exit usage
}

fn newer {
	m1=`{mtime $1 | awk '{print $1}'}
	m2=$2
	test $m1 -gt $m2
}

ignored=()
quiet=no
while(~ $1 -*){
	switch($1){
	case -q
		quiet=yes
	case -i
		if (~ $2 '')
			usage
		ignored=`{cat $2}
		shift
	case -*
		usage
	}
	shift
}
if (~ $#* 0)
	usage

updated=''
for (file in $*){
	if (~ `{file $file} *'plan 9 executable'*) {
		srcs=`{nm -a $file | grep ' z ' | sed -e 's/^.* z //' |
			 grep -v '^$' | sort | uniq}
		fupdated=''
		ftime=`{mtime $file | awk '{print $1}'}
		for (s in $srcs) {
			if (! ~ $fupdated outofdate || ! ~ $quiet yes)
			if (test -f $s)
			if (! ~ $s $ignored)
			if (newer $s $ftime){
				fupdated=outofdate
				updated=outofdate
				if (~ $quiet yes)
					echo $file
				if not
					echo $file: $s
			}
		}
	}
}
exit $updated

* [9fans] Free Plan 9 "shell" accounts?
@ 2003-05-16 16:05 Martin Kielhorn
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Martin Kielhorn @ 2003-05-16 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has there ever been  an attempt  to provide free accounts
on a Plan 9 network for people curious to "play" with it.

I've found several Unix servers where free shell accounts
are available (like m-net.arbornet.org). I wasn't able to
locate something comparable for Plan 9.

I would really like an open  Plan 9  CPU  server. Maybe I
could even connect to it with drawterm or vnc because I
would really like to learn programming for rio.

How many graphical logins could a typical (perhaps  256M,
500 MHz, shared 155Mbit internet) cheap server provide?

On m-net there are often 20 - 30 people logged in and all
programs still work responsive (some people surve the web
others read mails and many are idle  - everything in com-
mand line).

			Martin

* [9fans] same functions everywhere
@ 2003-04-23  9:16 paurea
From: paurea @ 2003-04-23  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Reading the code for different commands and filesystems, I have found
there are at least three functions repeated with equivalent
implementations all over the place. These are erealloc emalloc and estrdup.
They call the function without the e and call sysfatal on error. Wouldn't it
be more economical and clear to have them on a library?.

On another terms, it would be great to have some function, macro, mechanism
or whatever to describe calling a function and calling sysfatal on error, because
this usage of functions repeats itself a lot.

									Gorka

* [9fans] ndb/local
@ 2003-04-22 17:32 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-04-22 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

OK, it's probably just me, but this ndb/local stuff is getting on my
nerves.

I have a new T21 just loaded from the CDROM. I have no dhcp. I want to get
the hostname set to P9. I want to set it from local files only. Hints from
the wiki imply that if you have a sys= entry with the ether address set,
the various bits of software will Do The Right Thing for setting up the
network, but that is not working for me.

Here is ndb/local after the database= section:

ipnet=ccstar ip=10.128.0.0 ipmask=255.255.0.0
	ipsubmask=255.255.0.0 dnsdomain=ccstar.lanl.gov
	ipgw=10.128.10.241 dns=10.128.10.241
	auth=p9 fs=p9 dom=p9 authdom=p9

ip=10.128.207.112 sys=p9 ether=0010a48975c5 dom=p9 authdom=p9

At the head of /rc/bin/termrc I have:

sysname=p9

/dev/sysname is set to p9

ip/ipconfig would, I thought, take the sysname and set all the ipifc stuff
up correctly. No dice. So I did it by hand in termrc:
ip/ipconfig -g 10.0.10.241 10.128.207.112 255.255.0.0

but /net/ipifc/0 still has an empty address.

OK, what dumb thing am I doing here? Multiple dumb things, probably. Is
there a way to get reasonable debugging done when I screw up ndb/local?

thanks

ron

[parent not found: <bd525c545ba7fe2d9c6641953a77c609@vitanuova.com>]
[parent not found: <rminnich@lanl.gov>]
* [9fans] spam avoidance
@ 2003-02-23  7:35 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-02-23  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm thinking, once again, that we should set the list to
only allow postings from subscribers.  Some people read
via local exploders, or usenet.  I think it's worth
breaking that in order to avoid a bunch of obvious spam.

* [9fans] iSCSI
@ 2003-02-13 20:00 matt
From: matt @ 2003-02-13 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I expect that iSCSI has already hit your radar but here's the latest

iSCSI Gets Go-Ahead

http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=28277

iSCSI Specification Approved

 Posted by michael on 13/02/03 19:08
from the i-everything dept.
nasorsan writes "The iSCSI protocol is a means to transport SCSI commands
and data using TCP/IP packets. This ratification by the IETF is "the last
major hurdle for iSCSI to become widely supported. . . 'Now that it's done,
Microsoft Corp. and Novell Inc. will release drivers, and the games will
begin,' says Steve Duplessie, senior analyst at Enterprise Storage Group
Inc. 'Anyone who doesn't think this is the beginning of a huge market is
insane.'" he added."

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/13/1713245

* [9fans] rotzoomer -- another xscreensaver hack
@ 2003-01-21  7:02 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-21  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i saw this one on somebody else's computer and just wanted to have it :)

start it up in a small window and then resize to full screen for
complete satisfaction...

it doesn't take all that much to convert the X drawing calls to draw ones,
took me longer to clean it up into some sort of viewable form. i'm sure i
haven't managed to do so completely.

non-plan9 code is GNU, so have that in mind if you decide to play with it.

andrey

ps: other xscreensaver hacks here:

    http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/xscreensaver/

[-- Attachment #2: Type: APPLICATION/octet-stream, Size: 99848 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Serving 9p in python - anyone started that?
@ 2002-11-14  8:53 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Just curiosity. Why did you take that way instead of trying to get
> a toolset for doing rc 9p servers? I mean, IMHO, rc is the
> preferred way of scripting. I've some times wanted to
> be able to plug rc scripts into a generic 9p server skeleton,
> and alto to write an rc script that uses other tools to speak 9p.

i don't know about john, but i did my 9p python code because
i was sick of c getting in my way while trying to write the 9p
tester.  the c version was all details i didn't care about.  the
python version is nice and simple.  i would like to be able to
use rc instead, but it wasn't clear how to do that.  rc is a nice
shell but it's not the best programming environment.
my example is the install scripts.  they push the limit of
what you really want to be doing in an rc script.  (transitive
closure, for instance.)

* Re: [9fans] Essay: Is network transparency something bad?
@ 2002-10-24 17:54 rog
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: rog @ 2002-10-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But I don't think there's a single right answer to this. As we perl
> programmers often say, "there's more than one way to do it."

i think plan 9's approach is better than the more usual "network
transparency" where a function or method invocation is turned into an
RPC behind your back.

at least in the plan 9 way, it is well documented that all system
calls can potentially block for a long period of time, and they have
error returns that can describe the arbitrary errors that can be
associated with network transfers.

so it's quite possible to write programs in the light of that
knowledge (a decent threads library makes that easier too).
i don't think it's so easy with, for instance, Java RMI
(but i'd be glad to be contradicted).

it's interesting to see what *does* lock up when a file access takes
an unexpectedly long time (e.g.  accessing the dump fs).  for instance
acme locks while it's opening a file; rio locks when plumbing a file.

  rog.

[parent not found: <cross@math.psu.edu>]
* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-24 16:30 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have way more keys that ASCII has codes for.  How exactly should
> that work?  X has a good way (even Lispms had a good way).

Arbitrarily configurable does not imply good.
It does usually imply more pain for users.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-23 18:24 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-23 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The ASCII standard fortunately solves this one, and you're both wrong.

I'll keep that in mind the next time
I port Plan 9 to a machine that runs
off paper tape.  Thanks.

> > the default should be that backspace is backspace.

Further, you completely missed the point.
dhog claimed that typing a backspace key should
send a backspace character, just like typing an
'a' sends an 'a' character; the ascii
semantics of backspace are not relevant
to that particular claim.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-22  6:44 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2002-01-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I follow this list and browse the documentation in order
>to gain enlightenment and in the hope of gleaning useful ideas for my daily
>work.

By such an attitude, I believe you won't see the problem (if any) the designers
may be facing now, which must be the hottest topic, but then, you'll see only
the past of them.  :-)

I believe any operating system will be tested and trained most effectively in the
real work area, that is any application software.   Therefore, if we try to use Plan 9
for our own  work, we and the community will face an interesting new problem
to be solved, which will promote Plan 9 further.
Don't you think so?
Or you want Plan 9 to be there as it is without more developement?

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-22  2:54 dmr
From: dmr @ 2002-01-22  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Murdie observed,

 > If you put the command history editor in the shell, then you can only
 > use it in the shell; if you use another shell from time to time, then
 > you have to learn to use that shell's (different) history mechanism.
 > It's far better to use a single, general, command history mechanism
 > provided by your terminal emulator or Acme (which is so more than a
 > terminal emulator). There is a slight loss from the shell and the
 > command history editor being separated, I know.

True enough; that said, I retain considerable fondness for
the history mechanism of later research Unix systems. It
was adapted from earlier U of Toronto versions, I believe,
revived by Rob, and later put away again.

The shell appended each executed command (not in a script)
to a $HISTORY file.

The '=' command (not builtin) searched backwards in the
file for a last matching pattern, and reissued it.
E.g.

	=

redoes the previous command.

	= ls

finds the last shell command beginning with ls.
Text substitution could be accomplished with further
arguments.

The == variant allowed interactive editing.

	Dennis

[parent not found: <20020121170104.2FABD19A05@mail.cse.psu.edu>]
* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 22:34 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2002-01-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

along this line, it would be especially cool if the database
engine could export into the filesystem pointers to working
sets, closures, etc. this would allow one to write the
functional equivalent of a stored procedure without any
specific language support in the dtaabase. the place i
always thought this idea fell apart was the other reason
that stored procedures were invented -- so stuff could run
inside the server without the data or the command making a
round trip between client and server. believe me, when you're
walking a million records, it makes a big difference.

the problem is that unless you're really after performance
with insanely-large datasets, a sql-based database just isn't
worth the pain of dealing with that which does not play nicely
with others.

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 22:15 anothy
From: anothy @ 2002-01-21 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

// ...i cant seem to be able to change it...

in my experience (always?), aux/vga is unable to change the
resolution of a display once it's first been brought up. to get
your display to boot in a different resolution, change the
definition of vgasize in plan9.ini (which generally lives in a
FAT partition or on a floppy; more on that in a minute).

Acessibility:

Plan 9 does not include a web browser or other html
interpreter; look to Vita Nuova's freely-available Inferno
distribution, which includes Charon.

man dossrv(4) for a description of the a:, c:, and 9fat:
scripts which will facilitate, respectivly, access to a floppy
drive, your primary FAT partition, and your plan9 FAT
partition, where configuration information like plan9.ini
is commonly stored.

for example, to edit my plan9.ini, i do this:
	9fat:
	acme -c1 /n/9fat/plan9.ini
	unmount /n/9fat

Shell:

to find a file named "myfile" in /usr/anothy, i do:
	`{du -a /usr/anothy | awk '{print $2}'} | grep myfile
this sort of construction works well for all manner of
tools (although i have on occasion missed find's easy
methods of finding files based on greater/less-than
comparisons). also try
	grep some_string `{du -a /usr/anothy | awk '{print $2}'}
for finding "some_string" in a set of files.

rc has no command completion or history. the design
rational is essentially that this functionality properly
belongs in the windowing system, not the shell, so that
the solution becomes general: it can be applied to every
program that looks for input. while not having history
(and to a lesser extent command completion) took me a
bit of getting used to comming from unix, i do not miss
it, and now strongly prefer the Plan 9 way of giving me
such things.

Keys:

plan 9 terminals are much more mouse-driven than
unix terminals. the current UI basically mandates that
you become comfortable using the mouse alot. the end
result is a much more efficient system - the mouse is
much better at many tasks than moving things around
with a keyboard, even when it doesn't feel like it (there
was a good report on this linked here earlier, but i failed
to make a note of it; anyone?). this is not always true
(folks with various disabilities or motor imparment
being the primary counter-example), but is true the
overwhelming majority of the time, and the system is
designed with that in mind.

the interupt functionality could be moved off del, and
onto something else, like the pause/break key. but
keyboards vary widely, and a replacement would have
to be well-chosen. on most smaller keyboards (like on
laptops), del is a key, while pause/break is often a
pseudo-key.

also, as noted earlier, it's not at all clear what the
"conventional" functionality of del is. on most of my
Unix systems, it produces ^? - far less useful than the
interupt function.

General:

i'm not sure what you're asking WRT plan9 default
boot being "safe" for other OSes. the bootloader plan
9 will install is not a multi-booter - it only finds the
first partition marked "active" (or can there only ever
be one?) and runs that. it will not, however, touch
any data living on other partitions.

there has been wide speculation on why Plan 9 has
not gained greater support than it has. ideas on
this topic vary widely. my own theory is something
along the lines of plan 9 is just too much: it requires
people to understand (or be willing to learn) many
new concepts all at once to really "get it". others
believe it has something to do with licensing terms,
or the attitude of people on 9fans and comp.os.plan9.
there's also the old chicken-and-egg problem: users
aren't interested because of the comparitave lack of
apps, and app developers arn't interested because of
the lack of users. but that's all just speculation.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 20:39 Russ Cox
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-21 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think it might be neat to build a small number
of little programs that parse and reemit sql queries.
Thus you could use normal shell pipelines to do database
queries but since you're passing _queries_ and not _output_
through the pipes, you still reap the benefits of
query optimization.  Just like the old /acme/edit scripts.

I don't remember enough of the SQL syntax to
reparse your query into an exact shell pipeline, but
the idea is you could do something like

	sql/grep 'Car%' pages.title | sql/join section pages.idx |
	sql/p

Sql/p would behave like the acme p, actually executing
the query to produce output.

Of course, if there isn't much data, moving it into
the file system might be an even better solution.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 20:34 presotto
From: presotto @ 2002-01-21 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To me, dynamic libraries are like clowns.  In both
cases, I was fightened by one at an impressionable
age and have loathed them ever since (Bozo tripped
on his microphone and fell on be when I was 3, Multics
got me at college).

It's a hard fear to overcome.  Putting something into
a dynamic library instead of into a server or the kernel
is oven more efficient.  However, by its very nature,
the interface is less constrained.  As a result, the
visibility of changes and the amount of ratcheting due
to new applications dragging in new, and often incompatible,
versions of the libraries is higher than changes in
the other 2 places.  It's too tempting to add a few
more parameters here and there and to make internal
details externally visible.

I can't really say that they're evil, only that I'ld
prefer not to use them.

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 20:21 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-21 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First of all, I was kidding about readline.

> * If dynamic linked libraries, you have taken the first step
>   on the slippery slope to the land of gratuitious complexity,
>   where even a simple "hello, world" C program can execute
>   100000 instructions before it actually prints anything.
>   (No, I'm not kidding.)  For some reason, people seem to think
>   adding features in dynamic libraries is "free".

If I'm running rio on Plan 9, draw a new window, and run
hello world, how many instructions execute before I see
"hello world" on my screen?  Lots and lots, just not many
in the hello world process.  The kernel has to redirect
the write into rio, rio does some lookups to figure out
which window gets the output, libdraw has to walk around
in the font caches, possibly loading the missing letters,
(which is more kernel calls, context switches to kfs,
and execution of the various code in devsd), finally
preparing a "draw string" request for /dev/draw.  Then the
kernel is back.  For simplicity let's assume that the window
is in front of all the others, so memlayer isn't involved.  Now we
clear the background, either with memset or by making
calls to an accelerated vga routine with some busy waits
(still faster than memset, though).  Then we use
per-character calls to memimagedraw to blacken the appropriate
pixels.  And finally we see "hello world" (assuming that we
have direct access to video memory; if not, we've been drawing
in a soft screen and still need to flush the changed portion
out to video memory).

You're still right, of course; dynamic libraries are a
slippery slope for lots of reasons.  My point is that the
overhead of dynamic libraries is not necessarily worse than
the overhead of other system services like the kernel and
the various Plan 9 file servers, just in a different place.
It takes far more than 100,000 instructions to get "hello world"
onto my screen either way.  How you count depends on what
you care to include.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 19:42 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-01-21 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > If you put the command history editor in the shell, then you can only
> > use it in the shell; if you use another shell from time to time, then
>
> Not if you put it in a library and link the library
> against every single program that could ever possibly
> want to read input!

Standard practice in the GNU world.  But is it _good_ practice?

I had a lot of ``fun'' getting gdb to run on Plan 9 because of this...

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 18:48 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-21 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> If you put the command history editor in the shell, then you can only
> use it in the shell; if you use another shell from time to time, then

Not if you put it in a library and link the library
against every single program that could ever possibly
want to read input!

* Re[2]: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-21 10:01 steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2002-01-21 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Any pointers, references, FTP site for "rk" ?

-Steve

Subject:    Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
Author: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date:       20/01/02 22:02

| yes, well, you see plan9 is more mouse driven. eventually you'll
| probably end up with Acme as much your "shell" as anything, and you'll
| find auto complete is unneccessary.

I think that input prediction, if done well, is a beautiful feature, and
one that would fit very well with acme, or maybe as a kind of plumbing. I
used to use a unix thing called "rk"; a markov chain style thing that
continuously prompted you with a line or two of predicted input. You
used the arrow keys or tab or ctrl-m to accept the next char/word/line
of the prediction. It was uncannily good. A lot of command line stuff is
very repetative, and anyone who's seen Rob's fake usenet postings can
see how good this kind of thing is for email. One of these days I'll
get around to hacking it into acme, maybe.

| > - Unless is it part of a grander plan (no pun intended), can we move
| > the process interrupt key from Del to something else and have the
| > conventional functionality of del back ?

Especially since PC keyboards have an actual "break" key to use.

The contents of this communication are confidential to the normal user of
the email address to which it was sent.  If you have received this email
in error, any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If this is the case, please notify the
sender and delete this message.

* Re: [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-20 21:15 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2002-01-20 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> - Is there a place where the uses of directories the std file system
> heirarchy is discussed, esp /n ?

namespace(4).  i admit that the distinction between /n and /mnt is
blurred. the original intent was /n was remote machines, while /mnt
was local services.  a: etc. should probably have been in /mnt.
ditto the blurring for /lib and /sys/lib.  /lib was supposed to be
a library: dictionaries, etc, while /sys/lib was supposed to be supporting
stuff like troff macros.   but we have what we have. see namespace(4).

-rob

* [9fans] Getting started in Plan9 - help
@ 2002-01-20 20:02 Roshan James
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Roshan James @ 2002-01-20 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Getting started in Plan9
-------------------------
Its been a little over a week since i got my Plan9 working and
I still seem to be in tourist mode.Lots of questions and
a few suggestions:
(I promise I have tried to answer these for myself before
before I am ask them)

It would be great if we have a school boy style step-by-step
getting-off-the-ground tour of plan9, maybe somewhere in the
wiki. I would be glad to do this, if i knew enough.

Graphics
-----------
- I am working with an S3 Trio 64v2 card, the install floppy
gave me 800*600 res,but after installation i am on 640*480 and
i cant seem to be able to change it
aux/vga -l 800x600x8
gives me
'Warning (BUG) : redefinition of aperture does not change
s3screen segment.'
in a black background in the sentre of the screen and an error
message that reads
'aux/vga: vgactlw: <size 800x600x8 m8>: vga already configured'
in the console window. it is a low end card but I believe that
I did have a higher res through the boot disk so it should be
possible here too. how can i change to a higher res ?

- If plan9 is booted through xosl in 640*480 res,plan9 graphics
display ends up corrupt. the bootloader does switch to text mode
before the OS is booted. anyother resolution or a text mode boot
loader does not seem to have a problem.
The right quarter of the screen (approx) seems to be a duplicate
of the band of the screen display between in the left part. (bad
description i know). Anyway to fix this ?

Acessibility
-------------
- How can I read a couple of html docs in Plan9 ?
- Is there a place where the uses of directories the std file system
heirarchy is discussed, esp /n ?
- /n/c: exists, how can i access the extended partitions ?
- How can i access the floppy a: ? /n/a: exists but shows no files.
- How can i access the extended windows partitions ?
- Problem with accessing C: File operations to /n/c: causes a problem
'%mkdir /n/c:/testdir'
'mkdir: cant create /n/c:/testdir: write to hungup channel'
also a black background error message comes (is there a generic name
for these messages ?)
'dossrv 45: suicide: sys: trap fault read addr=0xb pc=0x00004757'
help ?

Shell
------
- How can I find/search for a file in Plan9 ? the usual find /|grep xxx
does not exist here, what is the equivalent ?
- Why doesnt/Can rc have autocomplete and filename completion as in
bash ? This has become so neccessary.

Keys
-----
- Why cant the left/right arrow keys+home+end keys move the cursor,
it is really difficult to edit something by placing the cursor there
with the mouse.
- Unless is it part of a grander plan (no pun intended), can we move
the process interrupt key from Del to something else and have the
conventional functionality of del back ?

General
-------
- Is the option of plan9 default boot in bootsetup (during install)
safe for other OSes that exist on the system ?
- Why arent there more applications and more developers interested
in developing for plan9 ?

Russ, I think it would kill you to keep answering all the newbie
questions. Russ, Imel, Thanks for all the help you have been. I
think the Plan9 faq needs updation with some of the more generic
questions here. This is a lesson that could learned from the Win32's,
if you want the OS to grow, you have to get people comfortable with
it very fast. I think we can make that happen.

Rosh.

One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
(Lord of the Rings)

* [9fans] python
@ 2001-12-02  9:39 Russ Cox
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-12-02  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Supposedly a Python port exists, but the URL
on the Wiki and in the Plan 9 FAQ doesn't work.

Anyone have other details?  Do you know if it
was a native port or an APE port?

Thanks.
Russ

* Re: [9fans] standalone cpu/auth server??
@ 2001-08-22 14:22 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-08-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Something about your nvram is hosed.  Try doing
	echo asdfasdfasdf >/dev/sdC1/nvram
and then reboot again.  If it still
doesn't work, then the system isn't
finding your nvram partition properly.
Adding prints in /sys/src/9/boot/key.c
should help point a finger.

Russ

[parent not found: <randolph@panix.com>]
* [9fans] not just 3-button mice
@ 2000-12-15 10:13 Douglas A. Gwyn
       [not found] ` <DAGwyn@null.net>
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2000-12-15 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Have you tried to buy a keyboard recently?
Current models all have "Web function" keys
that seem to require loading a special driver
(hook?) into Windows to support them..

There is a *lot* of old computer gear I wish
I'd held onto so I could use it now instead of
the cruft that has replaced it.